The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jul 27, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #4,006 of 29,013
Don't know about the SX750 but my SX1010 has tone controls that work for the headphone out as well.

Jul 27, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #4,007 of 29,013
Quote:
On my Audiolab M-Dac 24/96 high-res music sounds amazing. When I first heard a high-res album downloaded from Linn Records it was a whole new musical experience ( like going from DVD to Blu-ray). Since then I always try to get high-res downloads of Albums.

Well the album "the slip" nine inch nails , is available for free at both resolution  44.1hz/16 bit
96hz/24 bit, lossless, and I  bet you won't be able to hear any differences (despite being  with a  detailed "industrial" sound) , or better , abx any track.
Probably you hear difference on high res version because it's mastered in a different way.
Reminds me the SHM-CD,  cd that are supposed to sound better because of "better" materials.
I  hate them, because usually they have more loudness compression.

Jul 27, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #4,008 of 29,013
True that.. was disappointed with the 24/96 Hotel California. I really can't tell the difference between the hi-rez download and the CD ripped as lossless. On the other half, Long Road Out of Eden ripped from CD is simply stunning!
I don't go past 24/96 - It's hit and miss for me at HD Tracks though the Chesky stuff is stunning.
Quote:
Yeah I do appreciate hd tracks and they can sound amazing with voice and acoustic instruments. Bit pointless with most pop music however, or old remasterings. With the former you can't polish a turd and most pop is already compressed and mashed up so no amount of bits is gonna help, even at the first stages of recording it. And the latter, you can't add what isn't there in the first place. 

Jul 27, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #4,009 of 29,013
True that.. was disappointed with the 24/96 Hotel California. I really can't tell the difference between the hi-rez download and the CD ripped as lossless. On the other half, Long Road Out of Eden ripped from CD is simply stunning!
I don't go past 24/96 - It's hit and miss for me at HD Tracks though the Chesky stuff is stunning.

Chesky (and other labels of a similar vein) are proof that high Rez is no better than redbook and that the recording and mastering is what matters.

Jul 27, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #4,010 of 29,013
i knew there was a reason I held on to all those CD's....

Jul 27, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #4,011 of 29,013
i can tell an improvement between 24/96 and CD, but it depends on the recording, otherwise there really wouldn't be a difference. between 24/96, 24/192 and SACD, the difference is practically nothing. though i think some SACD's can be a little smoother but once again, it mostly just depends on the recording quality.

now mp3 is different. 320kbps and CD is a very small difference not generally noticed. but anything lower and it becomes quite obvious. 320kbps and better recorded lossless, it becomes more obvious.

Jul 28, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #4,014 of 29,013
Heh, does look cool, are those water cooling hoses on the back? (before someone jumps on it I am kidding about the water cooling)
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 28, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #4,015 of 29,013
Quote:
Thought I'd ask here.  Have anyone seen or used one of these?  I seen it at the CAF today and thought wow.

That's a wonderful player.  I spent a while listening to it at RMAF last year in the Modwright room.  I have one of their preamps, and I've yet to hear anything that Dan Wright has made that I didn't thoroughly enjoy.  That's one of the best universal players I've heard to date.

Jul 28, 2013 at 2:25 AM Post #4,016 of 29,013
Jul 28, 2013 at 4:59 AM Post #4,017 of 29,013
Quote:
I picked up a Pioneer SX-750 today and really good for $140. I hooked it to my Dac-100 and listened to it for about an hour and one of the main things that stood out was it's non-fatuiging. I was hoping the bass/treble adjustments would work for the headphone out.

Does anyone know if the headphone out varies at all on the different SX models?

The tones work on my SX550 but they are very subtle and not the best. To be honest I've never needed to use them, there is more than enough bass and the treble is very natural for my liking. 

Thats a great price for a 750. Maybe post some pics in the Vintage thread :)

Jul 28, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #4,020 of 29,013
Quote:
I was just wondering what people thought was the cheapest amp that works okay with the hd800 is?

I don't believe that the  hd800 are hard to drive, it's just that they have a default  ungratifying presentation (albeit technically good overall) , and that people seek source  that make them "more musical" to their ears. The annax mod might be an efficient , and "cheap" upgrade.
I've personally just used foam stuck in  sides.

Now if you want to disregard what I  said, there is the bottlehead crack . My belief is that it  introduce all kind of colorations/  distorsions to make the hd800 more pleasing, although I  need to hear that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back