The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Sep 28, 2016 at 3:42 AM Post #23,716 of 29,013
If your looking for smooth you may try the AGD Dac-19 (or other AGD r2r dac) and a liquid carbon. Lots of talk about this combo here on headfi. After reading much about it myself I went this route. I believe it's a lot of bang for the buck for an HD800 setup.

Heard the liquid Carbon ( at home during a few weeks) and wasn't that fan. It's convenient but not that stellar sounding.  I'd probably take a Modi (probably Multibit but I didn't hear it yet)  / Vali2 over a DAC19/Liquid carbon combo.  

I'm an "old" HD800 owner now and my experience teached me the best option is to go to the best value for cheap while we're saving for the real totl stuff. 

Sep 28, 2016 at 4:24 AM Post #23,717 of 29,013
Having said all the above, if you are looking for both DAC and amp, check Master 11.

I plan to put the amp on separate desk so no DAC is maybe better.

Master 9 with HD800 here. For the money you can't get better than this, at least from my experience
smily_headphones1.gif

Nice. Are the outputs of the M9 parallel? I mean can you plug 2 headphones at the same time and they both output sound?

Sep 28, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #23,718 of 29,013

I also find it very hard to sit back and relax with the HD800 at normal listening levels

If the LCD-3F is the king of "sit back and relax", I'll take the SD800 every time, IMO

Sep 28, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #23,719 of 29,013
I didn't try putting two headphones on at the same time due to OCD reasons :)) You can send them an email about this to find out the details. It should work from what I know.

Sep 29, 2016 at 3:13 AM Post #23,721 of 29,013
  If the LCD-3F is the king of "sit back and relax", I'll take the SD800 every time, IMO

The HD800 definitely demands attention! Makes other headphones sound boring almost lol... Everytime I listen to a new album I can't believe how spacious and huge the sound is, it almost feels like there is so much air and space between the notes, they for sure are my end game headphone. I have always had and enjoy headphone that are detailed and spacious with a large soundstage, and the HD800 is the king in that. 

Oct 1, 2016 at 6:05 AM Post #23,723 of 29,013
Yeah, until the hidden knife come alive and decide to start piercing on your ears.

I suggest soridge mod.

I've never experienced the 'knife', and I think quality of the source/headphone amplifier is key in preventing any audio nasties.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oct 1, 2016 at 7:12 AM Post #23,724 of 29,013
Yeah, until the hidden knife come alive and decide to start piercing on your ears.

I suggest soridge mod.

People are different from each others.
I've never had any major issue with the piercing treble, although I've to admit it made me unable to listen to my badly mastered J-rock, but in most cases it didn't bother me.

Though overall I will still recommend Sorrodje's mod too.

Oct 1, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #23,725 of 29,013
People are different from each others.
I've never had any major issue with the piercing treble, although I've to admit it made me unable to listen to my badly mastered J-rock, but in most cases it didn't bother me.

Though overall I will still recommend Sorrodje's mod too.

Exactly.

I too have had no trouble with the knife.

But to add Sorrodje's mod comes highly recommended by the who do have that problem...

Oct 1, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #23,726 of 29,013

I suggest soridge mod.

Never really had the desire to MOD the HD800. I never had a problem with piercing treble, I would even say that they are probably the smoothest headphones treble wise I own. One of the main things I have noticed with the HD800s is how transparent and revealing they are in terms of your audio chain, I know this has been repeated countless times over, but every small modification or change in my audio path can be heard almost instantly with the HD800's, while other headphones the difference is not as apparent. I guess this can be a good and bad thing. I would have a really hard time recommending these headphones to most people, they are just too picky. Perhaps I have an excessively warm and colored set-up that mitigates the treble spike but whatever it is, the sound is always smooth, warm and spacious. I think the biggest downfall of the HD800 (and this has been somewhat lessened by the HD800S) is how they have the ability to sound marvelous and majestic on one system and sharp and sterile on another. If I look at my chain, it revolves completely around the HD800, when buying new components I always had the mentality and goal that I wanted to preserve the transparency and soundstage while injecting some warmth and pleasant euphonics into them. I think I am at a point where majority of the "flaws" or undesired traits of these headphones have been remedied with my audio chain (even if it is not optimal in terms logical sound engineering principles, EX- adding tube buffer into chain) the end result is always the same, reaching a perfect equilibrium. Ultimately the HD800s are not user friendly and demand a system to be built around them but once the pieces start to fit together, it is worth the time, money and patience.

Oct 1, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #23,727 of 29,013

Never really had the desire to MOD the HD800. I never had a problem with piercing treble, I would even say that they are probably the smoothest headphones treble wise I own. One of the main things I have noticed with the HD800s is how transparent and revealing they are in terms of your audio chain, I know this has been repeated countless times over, but every small modification or change in my audio path can be heard almost instantly with the HD800's, while other headphones the difference is not as apparent. I guess this can be a good and bad thing. I would have a really hard time recommending these headphones to most people, they are just too picky. Perhaps I have an excessively warm and colored set-up that mitigates the treble spike but whatever it is, the sound is always smooth, warm and spacious. I think the biggest downfall of the HD800 (and this has been somewhat lessened by the HD800S) is how they have the ability to sound marvelous and majestic on one system and sharp and sterile on another. If I look at my chain, it revolves completely around the HD800, when buying new components I always had the mentality and goal that I wanted to preserve the transparency and soundstage while injecting some warmth and pleasant euphonics into them. I think I am at a point where majority of the "flaws" or undesired traits of these headphones have been remedied with my audio chain (even if it is not optimal in terms logical sound engineering principles, EX- adding tube buffer into chain) the end result is always the same, reaching a perfect equilibrium. Ultimately the HD800s are not user friendly and demand a system to be built around them but once the pieces start to fit together, it is worth the time, money and patience.

I agree 100%

Oct 1, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #23,728 of 29,013
Just received my hd800 today!

Running them on my Bifrost/Valhalla 2 system. My current reference headphones have been the hd650 for the last year or so.

The SDR mod is installed.

Need some music recommendations here to really test the soundstage. The type of orchestrations I like are stuff like The Planets by Gustav Holst and soundtracks like The Last Samurai.

Oct 1, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #23,729 of 29,013
Just received my hd800 today!

Running them on my Bifrost/Valhalla 2 system. My current reference headphones have been the hd650 for the last year or so.

The SDR mod is installed.

Need some music recommendations here to really test the soundstage. The type of orchestrations I like are stuff like The Planets by Gustav Holst and soundtracks like The Last Samurai.

I always use these 5 (at least) for evaluation. Mine are all CD's but they may have down loads available as well.

1. Dr Chesky's Ultimate Headphone Demonstration Disc: Chesky JD361
2. The Sheffield/XLO Test and Burn-in CD: Sheffield Lab 10041-2-T
3. Respighi Ancient Airs and Dances: Mercury Living Presence 434-304-2 (especially track 18)
4. Wagner and Prokofiev Excerpts: Sheffield Labs CD 7/8
5. Brittens Orchestra: Reference Recordings HDCD RR120

Note: My HD800 started getting better in sound after about 100 hours of burn-in.

Oct 1, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #23,730 of 29,013
I always use these 5 (at least) for evaluation. Mine are all CD's but they may have down loads available as well.

1. Dr Chesky's Ultimate Headphone Demonstration Disc: Chesky JD361
2. The Sheffield/XLO Test and Burn-in CD: Sheffield Lab 10041-2-T
3. Respighi Ancient Airs and Dances: Mercury Living Presence 434-304-2 (especially track 18)
4. Wagner and Prokofiev Excerpts: Sheffield Labs CD 7/8
5. Brittens Orchestra: Reference Recordings HDCD RR120

Thanks!

General orchestra/classical/soundtrack recommendations are welcome as well. I have a feeling my listening time with those genres are about to go way up.

Currently really enjoying the Interstellar soundtrack right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back