The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Oct 18, 2015 at 12:07 AM Post #20,974 of 29,013
Question:

Has anyone have their HD800 produce enough bass level to vibrate their jaw?...
wink.gif

I actually did the paper test that they do in the basshead thread & the HD800 definitely can produce sub-bass rumble.
Nowhere near what the top basshead cans can do, not even close, but it can produce some visible vibrations on the sheet of paper.

A lot of other headphones I had couldn't even come to producing anything at all.

Oct 18, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #20,976 of 29,013
If I knew there was ANY amp that could get the HD800 close to the rumble/impact/physical feel of the sub-bass of the Fostex TH-900, I would break the bank getting it.

Use an EQ?

Oct 18, 2015 at 3:37 AM Post #20,979 of 29,013
Random observation I've had with my HD800's the past few weeks: I know a lot of the summit-fi community dogs on the HD800's for "exaggerating" the soundstage with "artificial" imaging and other words that make it seem like the ring diaphragm somehow makes its portrayal of music dishonest.

I could kind of see where those folks were coming from for a long time. But I've spent a few weeks—months, actually, now that I think about it—listening almost exclusively from vinyl, and my overall feeling is that I don't detect any of that "artificiality" of soundstage anymore. I don't think that the DACs that I've used historically somehow ruined the music, but I listened to both sides of Rumours this evening on my HD800s and it never occurred to me at any point that the music was exaggerated or stretched from an imaging perspective. The music was just happening around me in a really remarkable, casual way.

I never noticed before that analog sources make the imaging presentation more casual and natural for me, but I'm going to give Rumours another listen tomorrow from a digital source and see if my perception has just changed or if there's some discernible difference from a source perspective.

Oct 18, 2015 at 3:57 AM Post #20,981 of 29,013
Question:

Has anyone have their HD800 produce enough bass level to vibrate their jaw?...
:wink:
No, not my jaw.
But my whole head and chest, yes.
I can't explain how.

JJ

Oct 18, 2015 at 4:08 AM Post #20,982 of 29,013
Try Sonarworks, max the bass boost / tilt. You'd be surprised what the old Senny can deliver.
I'm running Sonarworks Ref 3 plug-in with flat response down to 25Hz where it just starts to fall off.

I then add +2dB at 15Hz with a Q=4.32 which 'fills in' from 15 up to ≈25Hz using a separate parametric EQ.

Pipe organ, electronic bass and drums, big (6') drums in orchestral works and more, are as Darth Vader would say, 'IMPRESSIVE'.

And as I mentioned I can feel it in my chest and head.

JJ

Oct 18, 2015 at 5:50 AM Post #20,984 of 29,013
I'm running Sonarworks Ref 3 plug-in with flat response down to 25Hz where it just starts to fall off.

I then add +2dB at 15Hz with a Q=4.32 which 'fills in' from 15 up to ≈25Hz using a separate parametric EQ.

Pipe organ, electronic bass and drums, big (6') drums in orchestral works and more, are as Darth Vader would say, 'IMPRESSIVE'.

And as I mentioned I can feel it in my chest and head.

JJ

johnjen

Does the Sonarworks plug-in boost the bass below 100Hz as per the Harman recommended headphone response?

Cheers and thanks

Frank

Oct 18, 2015 at 7:30 AM Post #20,985 of 29,013

I can't imagine how the 650 can do anything better than the HE-500 & LCD2?
Those two are roided up 650 cans, they are supposed to do everything the 650 does, only better.

The 650 is much closer to the lcd2 than most would think. Lcd2 scales only modestly where the 650 scales impressively. I would call the he500 the better headphone over the 650 until you get to comfort...read below.  For me, the 650 and 800 make the perfect pair of complementary cans. It would be nice if there was a closed hp in there somewhere, but that's where the Ether C comes in. 
wink.gif

650 does comfort better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back