The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jul 12, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #19,306 of 29,013
  Because they have similar sound signatures to start with, you're claiming that you can mod an 800 into an electrostatic?  OK, if you say so.

On expensive headphones, I draw the line at earpads and headbands.  No opening up the headphones, taking out Loctited screw, messing with the drivers or changing the factory wiring.

Not certain about "reflective surfaces".  Is Sennheiser aware of this or do they exist in the same way that wire has a sound?

No, that's not what I wanted to express. Although it has a little truth to it, but it rather takes equalizing than the damping mods to reach this goal. I have two electrostats which serve as a reference (for electrostatic sound, not ideal sound). The SR-009 was just an arbitrary example for a headphone with a different sonic characteristic of a kind one would want to bring the HD 800 closer to. You're certainly aware that there are countless characteristics among the best and most expensive headphones you can choose from. But what if you want something in between two of them? Are you not allowed to modify an existing headphone accordingly? Is there an unwritten law that you have to content yourself with what's available on the market? Because each of the corresponding manufacturers knows what they're doing!?

Do hard surfaces reflect sound waves or not? I don't think that's disputed in any way. It's even been measured in the case at hand.

Jul 12, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #19,307 of 29,013
The problem here is that I am talking of a specific scenario & U are complaining in general..

I can agree about the advantage of cable swapping with plugs,
but I am past that in searching for sonic gains instead..

If anyone doubts my bass increase

Have you done a blind A/B test or when you compared the different HD800s, you knew when you put your hardwired HD800 on?

Jul 12, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #19,308 of 29,013

Here's my thinking on this.  If the 800s actually sounded much better hard wired, (and I don't know why that should be), don't you think Sennheiser would have discovered it during development and produced the 800 with a wired cable like the T-1?  The converse would be that Sennheiser knew that the 800s sounded better hard wired and intentionally sacrificed sound quality for replaceable cables..... or better yet, for replaceable expensive "boutique" cables that they could sell to cable believers as upgrades.

Striking a balance for all potential customers is the key in industrial design.  IMO, the HD800 is already a very impressive pair of HP. Sennheiser might be aware of the minute SQ increase of hard wiring but they wouldn't do it cuz the tiny difference (most owners can't tell) is not worth the usability of a detachable cable...  Not everyone is crazy like us here on HF, right? 
biggrin.gif

I am fine with stock cable too.  My ears can detect differences between stock vs Anax HD800 but with cables, i just can't.  Maybe, my ears suck or I don't have enough faith.  
wink.gif

Jul 12, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #19,309 of 29,013

Because they have similar sound signatures to start with, you're claiming that you can mod an 800 into an electrostatic?  OK, if you say so.

On expensive headphones, I draw the line at earpads and headbands.  No opening up the headphones, taking out Loctited screw, messing with the drivers or changing the factory wiring.

Not certain about "reflective surfaces".  Is Sennheiser aware of this or do they exist in the same way that wire has a sound?

No, that's not what I wanted to express. Although it has a little truth to it, but it rather takes equalizing than the damping mods to reach this goal. I have two electrostats which serve as a reference (for electrostatic sound, not ideal sound). The SR-009 was just an arbitrary example for a headphone with a different sonic characteristic of a kind one would want to bring the HD 800 closer to. You're certainly aware that there are countless characteristics among the best and most expensive headphones you can choose from. But what if you want something in between two of them? Are you not allowed to modify an existing headphone accordingly? Is there an unwritten law that you have to content yourself with what's available on the market? Because each of the corresponding manufacturers knows what they're doing!?

Do hard surfaces reflect sound waves or not? I don't think that's disputed in any way. It's even been measured in the case at hand.

I think if you have sufficient money to bugger around the insides of expensive headphones, it's your prerogative. 

All I said was that I don't do it....... 

Regarding your "hard Surfaces".  Do you think Sennheiser is as aware of reflections as you are?

Jul 12, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #19,310 of 29,013
I just think it's hilarious someone is offended that people found the treble to be a touch hot, modified the headphones without causing any damage or anything that isn't irreversible, tested the modifications, and quantified how the modified headphones helped to objectively make them sound more linear (less emphasis on the hot treble)...

Fwiw I tested the modded HD-800's and bought them that way. I much preferred them to the stock, which I also tested and could have purchased. I really doubt anyone is selling these without mentioning they have the mod installed. If second hand buyers of the 800's are worried, they can check for themselves.

Jul 12, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #19,311 of 29,013

Here's my thinking on this.  If the 800s actually sounded much better hard wired, (and I don't know why that should be), don't you think Sennheiser would have discovered it during development and produced the 800 with a wired cable like the T-1?  The converse would be that Sennheiser knew that the 800s sounded better hard wired and intentionally sacrificed sound quality for replaceable cables..... or better yet, for replaceable expensive "boutique" cables that they could sell to cable believers as upgrades.

Striking a balance for all potential customers is the key in industrial design.  IMO, the HD800 is already a very impressive pair of HP. Sennheiser might be aware of the minute SQ increase of hard wiring but they wouldn't do it cuz the tiny difference (most owners can't tell) is not worth the usability of a detachable cable...  Not everyone is crazy like us here on HF, right? 
biggrin.gif

I am fine with stock cable too.  My ears can detect differences between stock vs Anax HD800 but with cables, i just can't.  Maybe, my ears suck or I don't have enough faith.  
wink.gif

Go figure !!!   CH 800 S

Jul 12, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #19,312 of 29,013
I just think it's hilarious someone is offended that people found the treble to be a touch hot, modified the headphones without causing any damage or anything that isn't irreversible, tested the modifications, and quantified how the modified headphones helped to objectively make them sound more linear (less emphasis on the hot treble)...

Fwiw I tested the modded HD-800's and bought them that way. I much preferred them to the stock, which I also tested and could have purchased. I really doubt anyone is selling these without mentioning they have the mod installed. If second hand buyers of the 800's are worried, they can check for themselves.

What mods were done to the headphones you bought?

Jul 12, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #19,313 of 29,013
Can't say I have ever felt the need for modifying my own HD800.   I do wonder sometimes about comments like "treble emphasis, coldness" etc (as examples)  as this is something I personally definitely do not associate with my own HD800 experiance.  Perhaps I will try it one day just to see what effect it has.

Jul 12, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #19,314 of 29,013
  I think if you have sufficient money to bugger around the insides of expensive headphones, it's your prerogative. 

All I said was that I don't do it....... 

Regarding your "hard Surfaces".  Do you think Sennheiser is as aware of reflections as you are?

Really?
wink.gif

You're much too cautious in this regard. There's no harm done to the poor headphones!

I'm quite sure that they are aware. I suppose they consider it a minor flaw, moreover some people like the sparkle it produces. Also, they have to respect durability and practicability, so to apply layers of velvet wouldn't be a realistic option. That's where the hobbyist modders have an advantage.

Jul 12, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #19,315 of 29,013
The problem here is that I am talking of a specific scenario

Have you done a blind A/B test or when you compared the different HD800s, you knew when you put your hardwired HD800 on?

I understand the value of blind A/B test for those who want more than objective impressions..

THE DIFFERENCES ARE TOO LARGE AND OBVIOUS.

I invite everyone to hear my headphones at next NYmeet to see.

I not saying they are great or best or good..

I only saying they are hardwired and have more OBVIOUS bass than stock..

A blind A/B test would be redundant as it is not small difference.

edit:
I forgot to note that I am not using the annax trapezoid piece which obviously gives bass boost to the other two HD800 that mine beat anyways in overall bass..(!)

Jul 12, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #19,316 of 29,013

I understand the value of blind A/B test for those who want more than objective impressions..

THE DIFFERENCES ARE TOO LARGE AND OBVIOUS.

I invite everyone to hear my headphones at next NYmeet to see.

I not saying they are great or best or good..

I only saying they are hardwired and have more OBVIOUS bass than stock..

A blind A/B test would be redundant as it is not small difference.

edit:
I forgot to note that I am not using the annax trapezoid piece which obviously gives bass boost to the other two HD800 that mine beat anyways in overall bass..

Have you done anything besides hard wiring?  Could you post a picture?  I'd like to see what it looks like.

Jul 12, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #19,317 of 29,013
I like to read all of the opinions and take in the differences. My HD800s sound fine to me with no EQ through either my Schiit Valhalla 2 or Asgard 2. I have read something recently that spoke to why what I hear and what someone else hears could be so different. I like the HD800s for the clear sound. I just seems crisp. 

Anyway, below may be some good reads for everyone to consider.

http://stereos.about.com/od/Headphones/ss/Why-Headphones-Sound-Different-to-Different-People.htm#step1

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16343460/AES%20137%20The%20Influecne%20of%20Listeners%27%20Experence%2C%20Age%2C%20and%20Cultire%20on%20Headphone%20Sound%20Quality%20Preferences%20.key.pdf

Jul 12, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #19,318 of 29,013

So why wasn't Sennheiser aware of that? I honestly can't say. But the issue is obvious from the perspective of logic, wouldn't you say so? Now I'm one who is particularly sensitive to near-field reflections which I have begun to fight during my speaker-builder area, and I know how harmful they are for accuracy and imaging. On the other hand I don't advocate a dry sound characteristic which can result from such measures, but I favor a liquid-smooth sound from pure resolution instead of signal-smearing.

They likely were, but they have different requirements than a simple hobbyist. Excluding the replaceable headband and earpads, what is the HD800 made of? Stainless steel and leona plastic, both materials that should last decades with normal use. However, durable materials are also hard, thus the reflections. They likely were unable to use something to damp those reflections like foam/velvet/felt because they would deteriorate within a few years. Modders can do it because it's their headphones and they'll simply replace the mod every couple years. Sennheiser's engineers couldn't because it would mean the headphone's sound quality would deteriorate after a few years, a pretty awful possibility for a $1500 headphone.

On expensive headphones, I draw the line at earpads and headbands.  No opening up the headphones, taking out Loctited screw, messing with the drivers or changing the factory wiring.

JaZZ's mods are less invasive than replacing earpads or a headband pad.

Straight wiring the cable? Sure, that's certainly invasive, though I doubt someone would sell them like that without mentioning it, it would be pretty obvious  just from the pictures, and the seller would probably call it a feature.

Here's a link that details the types of mods that JaZZ is talking about, complete with measurements. There are more measurements available, but they're from a certain place we're not allowed to talk about.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/diy-modification-sennheiser-hd-800-anaxilus-mod#RlPdYtS70E4Sua0Q.97

Jul 12, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #19,319 of 29,013

Have you done anything besides hard wiring?  Could you post a picture?  I'd like to see what it looks like.

Sure:

There is a thread on how this is done on another site,
but suffice to say this connector with tiny pins and its associated tiny wire is what was removed and straight wired onto those contacts..

I feel the HD800 drivers are so sensitive, they should be viewed also as type of detection device,
as it is able to clearly make out change of the wire & connection removal.

Another point is that not every wire gives bass increase.

The hardwired Endorphen cable had its own characteristics and not larger bass than mine with Draug2,
but that makes sense as it is a different wire..

Jul 12, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #19,320 of 29,013

Users who are viewing this thread

Back