The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Aug 23, 2014 at 4:06 AM Post #13,366 of 29,017

Try auditioning the Centrance HiFi-M8 if you are looking for an all-in-one portable amp/dac.

i see, how do i use t to plug it into my laptop?
i only see pictures where i have to connect my ipod directly to it,
id like to use it on my laptop to, and can it be used on console gaming?

You can connect it to your laptop through usb, and if you get the toslink one, you can connect it to your consoles through optical (assuming they have an optical out). But as usual, be sure to audition it first though.

Aug 23, 2014 at 7:43 AM Post #13,368 of 29,017

You can connect it to your laptop through usb, and if you get the toslink one, you can connect it to your consoles through optical (assuming they have an optical out). But as usual, be sure to audition it first though.

Where to get the wires? how good is hifi-m8 for hd 800?

Not sure, I haven't tried the HiFi-M8 with the HD800, someone who has tried the pairing would be able to give you a better insight. Try to audition it by yourself to see whether you like it or not. And regarding wires, IMO you can just get any cheap cable from your local shop.

Aug 23, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #13,369 of 29,017
I was just curious, how do other people that have heard and enjoyed, or own mid-end to high-end speakers feel about the imaging and soundstage of the HD800? I feel that out of all of the headphones I've heard (mostly mid-fi unfortunately) it has the closest spatial capability to a good pair of speakers. I always hear people say that the instruments/vocals are too large in the space on the HD800 (which compared to speakers baffles me, real instruments are huge in sound diffusion). I have to agree that on songs with only a couple instruments it feels sort of empty, but even with most rock and pop songs I feel it accurately represents the acoustic space.

I actually want to buy a pair of Magnepan's in the future because they're said to have an extremely precise soundstage, with large lifelike representations of instruments.

Keep in mind that I've only tried the HD800 with an iPod Touch 5G as source and JDS Labs O2 as amplifier. I plan to buy a Nuforce HA200 and Dacmagic 100 when I get some money though, don't panic
wink.gif

I feel that listening to music with headphones, stereo speakers and in concert halls are and will probably remain three distinctly different experiences in the foreseeable future.

I am using two different sets of speakers at home, the Maggies 3.7 being one of them. As good as they are, I have to play them very loud (95+ dB)  to get the resolution and impact of the bass that I get in concert halls at a much lower volume (no more than 90 dB).  I also have to sit perfectly at the center to get the proper imaging because of the Venetian-blind effect of bipolar, planar speakers.

I do find that the Sennheiser HD800 come closest of all headphones (with perhaps the exception of the AKG K1000) to creating the illusion of a sound-stage, the greatest challenge to headphones. I think that sense of intimacy--the you-are-there experience--with the HD800 is quite remarkable especially when listening to simple acoustic music or vocals. This is an experience unique to headphones and IEM that I really enjoy and that speakers cannot duplicate--granted, this experience is artificial when compared to live (non-amplified) music but it doesn't keep it from being thoroughly enjoyable. And the HD800, thanks to its amazing clarity and resolution, delivers this intimate experience better than most headphones.

But you need high-quality source/DAC/amp/cable to to get the best out of the HD800 or these cans will mercilessly expose all the shortcomings of various components in your system and sometimes make the experience a sonic nightmare.  In my admittedly limited experience I have never been able to hear the HD800 properly with the portable gears I tried including the A&S AK100/Chord Hugo.

Aug 23, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #13,370 of 29,017
im currently very mobile with my laptop, whats a good amp/dac etc that i can put on a desk with my hd800, note that i have a laptop so no soundcard,

what do you guys use?

I have to say an underrated element to my new Bakoon HPA-01 is the size and portability. It's pretty small and light, and once charged up (internal li-ion batteries) lasts up to 10 hours. I've been charging it at home and then taking it to work everyday, with no need for power cables.

Aug 23, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #13,371 of 29,017
I have to say an underrated element to my new Bakoon HPA-01 is the size and portability. It's pretty small and light, and once charged up (internal li-ion batteries) lasts up to 10 hours. I've been charging it at home and then taking it to work everyday, with no need for power cables.

Sound like one sweet amp that little Bakoon feller.

How would you compeer it against your Questyle ?

Aug 23, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #13,372 of 29,017
It makes the HD800 signature much darker through the current output mode. The details are all there but not as in your face due to less treble presence. At first I was a bit thrown off by the sound difference, but after a few more days of listening, I'm beginning to appreciate the darker sound. It's definitely easier on the ears and you could argue more natural in the same way a tube amp adds warmth for the same naturalness.

Some initial impressions where I was still a bit hesitant on the change in signature:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/664097/bakoon-hpa-21-headphone-amplifier/465#post_10814306

But it makes the HD800 like a different headphone altogether, so it's like owning complementary pairs of headphones.

Aug 23, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #13,373 of 29,017
It makes the HD800 signature much darker through the current output mode. The details are all there but not as in your face due to less treble presence. At first I was a bit thrown off by the sound difference, but after a few more days of listening, I'm beginning to appreciate the darker sound. It's definitely easier on the ears and you could argue more natural in the same way a tube amp adds warmth for the same naturalness.

Some initial impressions where I was still a bit hesitant on the change in signature:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/664097/bakoon-hpa-21-headphone-amplifier/465#post_10814306

But it makes the HD800 like a different headphone altogether, so it's like owning complementary pairs of headphones.

Hm...I may need to find someone to loan me one for a short audition. 
wink.gif

Aug 23, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #13,374 of 29,017
Thanks Sonido

Sound quite compelling with the Bakoon, I have owned HD800 with Questyle and it's a perfect combo if you love all the qualities of HD800 but at the same time somewhat sterile sounding but that could be me playing too loud.
Otherwise it sounded very nice at low to medium volume, I have not listen to Bakoon thought.

Aug 23, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #13,375 of 29,017

I agree!  The Bakoon HPA-21 imparts its own signature on the HD800 sound.

My preference is to call this sound "warm" (with added mid-range overtones) to differentiate from the LCD2/3's sound, which is "dark" (less treble).  But this warmth is quite different from the "tube" warmth.  The treble is still there in great abundance with the HD800/Bakoon HPA-21 as attested by the vivid details in the sound but the tonal balance is shifted more toward the mid-range such that the treble is no longer highlighted (by the sibilance) as in the pairings of the HD800 with many other amps.

This is the greatest strength of the HD800:  it is very transparent and will  take on the sonic character of other links in the chain, especially the amp. 

Aug 23, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #13,376 of 29,017
I agree!  The Bakoon HPA-21 imparts its own signature on the HD800 sound.

My preference is to call this sound "warm" (with added mid-range overtones) to differentiate from the LCD2/3's sound, which is "dark" (less treble).  But this warmth is quite different from the "tube" warmth.  The treble is still there in great abundance with the HD800/Bakoon HPA-21 as attested by the vivid details in the sound but the tonal balance is shifted more toward the mid-range such that the treble is no longer highlighted (by the sibilance) as in the pairings of the HD800 with many other amps.

This is the greatest strength of the HD800:  it is very transparent and will  take on the sonic character of other links in the chain, especially the amp. 

I don't like the HD800 with the WA5. Do you think that has got to do with the cables being stock?

Aug 23, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #13,377 of 29,017
I don't like the HD800 with the WA5. Do you think that has got to do with the cables being stock?

Perhaps.  Many people do not like the HD800/WA5 pairing.  I do.  I like the almost non-tube-like sound with massive bass impact.

I much prefer the sound of the HD800 with OCC Copper to Silver cables--I use Copper Venom from Toxic Cables.  Some like the Silver Widow with HD800. I do not but both cables sound noticeably better than the stock cable.  My suggestion is to borrow an OCC cable form someone or buy an inexpensive OCC cable and try it before spending a lot of money on the Copper Venom.   

Aug 24, 2014 at 3:31 AM Post #13,380 of 29,017

I've listen to HD800 with Bakoon HPA-21 and it sounds great. Then I was auditioning another amp (Aurorasound's HEADA) for my LCD-3f and I just plug in HD800 to see how it goes. 
I was amazed at how good it sounded with HD800 to the point I don't want to take HD800 off. I use HD800 for classical and jazz music, still I never find HD800 with any amp good with other genre (IMO) Have anyone heard of this brand? 

http://www.aurorasound.jp/english/heada-en.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back