The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jul 20, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #12,256 of 29,010
I really wish anax had followed through on releasing a uniform commercial version of the mod, as was discussed elsewhere a year or so back. With various iterations and so many different materials being used by different listeners, it is hard to gage whether there is a target curve or curves that the mod should be aiming for. For example, mrspeakers doggy treats provide a consistent and successive series of steps to use in tuning ADs that most people appear to prefer to stock, at least using a dot or two on the baffle to smooth treble. Mrspeakers now ships new units with dots in place. I wonder if we wouldn't find the same sort of result if there was a cheap, consistent, mass produced hd800 tuning kit.

Jul 20, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #12,257 of 29,010

Hey SiverEars, About your avatar : is that Jean-Claude Van Damme trying to pass himself off as Xavier Cugat's grandson ? 
biggrin.gif

Jul 20, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #12,258 of 29,010
  Hey SiverEars, About your avatar : is that Jean-Claude Van Damme trying to pass himself off as Xavier Cugat's grandson ? 
biggrin.gif

Yes, it is Jean-Claude my childhood movie hero.  I don't know who Xavier Cugat is, but I thought the picture of him holding the rat sized dog was quite amusing. 
biggrin.gif
  Apologies if the imaging isn't pleasing to all eyes, I may put a "hot chick" as avatar to be more pleasing to the straight males on the forums, and which may offend the .001% female population here.  I was thinking Kate Upton showing bosoms, but I may get in trouble for that.

Jul 20, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #12,259 of 29,010
  Yes, it is Jean-Claude my childhood movie hero.  I don't know who Xavier Cugat is, but I thought the picture of him holding the rat sized dog was quite amusing. 
biggrin.gif
  Apologies if the imaging isn't pleasing to all eyes, I may put a "hot chick" as avatar to be more pleasing to the straight males on the forums, and which may offend the .001% female population here.  I was thinking Kate Upton showing bosoms, but I may get in trouble for that.

Ahhh, here we go.  
biggrin.gif
  This must have inspired it.

Jul 20, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #12,260 of 29,010

biggrin.gif

Ahhh, here we go.  
biggrin.gif
  This must have inspired it.

LOL !  You found Xavier 
biggrin.gif
  You see SilverEars, it's just me showing my age hence my moniker "Old Groucho".  I'm not sure who Kate Upton is (my turn) so I'll have to look her up (mmmm…. that could be interpreted in different ways).  You're a good sport & that was pretty good for a laugh. 
beerchug.gif

Jul 20, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #12,262 of 29,010
Don't let the ohmage fool you.  300ohms yes, but the sensitivity is 102dB/V, it's quite easy to drive since it's high impedance because the voltage will drop to the 800 even with lots of output impedance of the source.

I think generally, people look at ohmage in the 100's and think wow it a big value. HE-6 is only 50ohms, and needs considerable current because it's not so sensitive.  

Jul 20, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #12,263 of 29,010
I plugged my HD800's straight into my iPad this morning (via Grado 1/4" to 1/8" adapter) and thoroughly enjoyed some Nickel Creek streaming from Spotify at 320 Kbps. No external DAC or amplifier needed.
biggrin.gif

I've been digging NC for several months. Have not had the pleasure of spinning them up with the 800s...yet. 

Jul 20, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #12,264 of 29,010
I really wish anax had followed through on releasing a uniform commercial version of the mod, as was discussed elsewhere a year or so back. With various iterations and so many different materials being used by different listeners, it is hard to gage whether there is a target curve or curves that the mod should be aiming for. For example, mrspeakers doggy treats provide a consistent and successive series of steps to use in tuning ADs that most people appear to prefer to stock, at least using a dot or two on the baffle to smooth treble. Mrspeakers now ships new units with dots in place. I wonder if we wouldn't find the same sort of result if there was a cheap, consistent, mass produced hd800 tuning kit.

Someone could do a 3d printed version that would hold whatever material. It could be 3d scanned and then design onto the 3d scan then 3d print. Ther

Jul 21, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #12,265 of 29,010
So I finally decided to go with the Benchmark DAC1-USB, all I have left to do is just to wait for the arrival of my Norne balanced cable and I will be one truly happy HD800 user 
biggrin.gif

Jul 21, 2014 at 2:56 AM Post #12,266 of 29,010
Holy Sennheiser! Listening to Rush -Tom Sawyer, The Big Money etc on the Crack+800. Huge soundstage with the deepest low end that I have yet heard with this combo. As an aside, I now have three tube amps/hybrids in my office just for the 800 - the Crack, the Lyr and the ZD. 

Jul 21, 2014 at 3:06 AM Post #12,267 of 29,010
So I finally decided to go with the Benchmark DAC1-USB, all I have left to do is just to wait for the arrival of my Norne balanced cable and I will be one truly happy HD800 user :D  

Congrats!
I'm considering getting a used Benchmark DAC1 and use it as a DAC/amp since i cant afford an aditional amp, could you please tell me how is the sound with the HD800 plugged in to the The DAC1?
Thanks.

Jul 21, 2014 at 3:17 AM Post #12,268 of 29,010
I have a Chord Hugo, would that be enough for HD800? I don't like big headphone amps (no space in bedroom) so will just use that.

Jul 21, 2014 at 5:59 AM Post #12,270 of 29,010
  So I finally decided to go with the Benchmark DAC1-USB, all I have left to do is just to wait for the arrival of my Norne balanced cable and I will be one truly happy HD800 user 
biggrin.gif

Very nice....I have been tossing the idea around of going balanced.....just not sure yet.

Anyway.....nice set-up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back