The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jul 7, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #11,956 of 29,010
For the HD800, I really like the Rega DAC and on a budget, a used PS Audio DLIII fits the bill nicely.  Right now, loving the Naim DAC but even then I find it expensive for wat it is.

Quote:
  The best DAC I have owned to date is the Benchmark DAC2, but I keep the Rega around because of the HD800. It is not always about what is better, it is about the synergy with the HD800.
Rega>>>Fosgate Signature>>>HD800 is the best thing I have yet to hear.

Jul 7, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #11,957 of 29,010
  I think it this way: the hp-s characteristic impedance curve does not change when voltage source (amp) impedance changes.
However a close to 0 z amp does not make a voltage divider with the hp-s (all voltage is applied to the hp-s), but something like 100ohm z amp to HD800 will make a noticeable 
voltage divider, and then the  driver resonance impedance peak at 100Hz will claim more voltage than lower and higher frequencies. I might be wrong though 
tongue.gif

I was thinking along the same lines, but in the end it's the amp that creates the voltage and impedance is only a measure of how much current will be drawn. So higher impedance = less power, yet we hear amplified sound in that range...

I think once we understand what is causing this impedance spike it may be easier to figure it out.
I'm speculating here, but to me seems plausible that the impecance rasises around 100 Hz because in this frequency range the transducer generates the most backcurrent. And what we hear with the higher output impedance amps is the result of this undampened backcurrent getting back into the headphones.

http://www.transcendentsound.com/Transcendent/Amplifier_Output_Impedance.html

Jul 7, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #11,958 of 29,010
How does the HD800 compare to 1500$ active nearfield monitors, SQ wise?

Running HR824 mk1 in a decently treated 8m x 20m room. I've ran other speakers in my room as well that I've heard in properly designed studios. My room is surprisingly dead and took care of reflections and corners.

Back to your question, HD800 wins in terms of deeper extension even though HR824's go quite deep themselves and truly don't need a sub, even for movies. HD800 has better resolve and transients. They'll win SQ wise. If I had both freely available to listen to, I'd hands down pick the monitors each time. I wouldn't touch the HD800s. They're exceptional headphones, but still headphones and thus have their limitations…can't throw that visceral impact and front soundstage. Also, natural crossfeed.

Jul 7, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #11,959 of 29,010
Someone previously (James-Uk?) was inquiring about the impedance output on the DM Source's headphone output and whether it was high as some studio gear might be. So I contacted them about the impedance output and power output at different settings. Here's the reply:

The output impedance of the headphone amp is less than one ohm. We've not measured power at different impedances because the impedance of the amp is so low. No matter what headphones you plug in, start with the volume control all the way down and turn up slowly... 

So less than 1 ohm and DRIVES Denons to HD800 
biggrin.gif

Jul 7, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #11,960 of 29,010
Someone previously (James-Uk?) was inquiring about the impedance output on the DM Source's headphone output and whether it was high as some studio gear might be. So I contacted them about the impedance output and power output at different settings. Here's the reply:

So less than 1 ohm and DRIVES Denons to HD800 :D  

How is this possible? I am curious. :)

Jul 7, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #11,961 of 29,010
Priidik and PleasantSounds have a better grasp on the physics than I do, but what they have posted is similar to explanations I've read in the past (eg posts on the same topic by xnor over at hydrogen.)

The measurements purrin has shared (elsewhere, but pasted in below) of anax modded hd800s at 0 ohms (green), 170 ohms (yellowish green) and 680 ohms (orange) - all running off the same amp but with the addition of series resistors, are what have stood out most distinctly in my mind. As discussed a couple of pages back (and setting aside our points of disagreement), this confirms that silverears was correct in suggesting impedance adapters will get you to the same end point. Still intending to test this out with my o2 as time permits.

index.php

If you want to find the thread from which this was taken (concerning why hd800s sound like "bass monsters" when jacked into certain vintage receivers), you can google: hd800 and Iec 120 ohm standard

Jul 7, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #11,962 of 29,010
How is this possible? I am curious.
smily_headphones1.gif

Don't know. I found the DM Source to work well with low impedance, high sensitivity like D2000 and high impedance and high sensitivity HD800. Not the best match for low impedance, low sensitivity planars though. I found speaker amps better for Hifimans. Although I'm really stoked to try the more efficient LCD-X, LCD-XC, HE-560, TH-900 and HE-400i. I'm absolutely certain that the TH-900 will be amazing on the Source.

The bass on the HD800 is superb for some reason (better than BDA-2 > BHA-1 > LCD-3). Not to some much with T1 or one of the AKG's I tried.

Jul 7, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #11,963 of 29,010
Is the schiit audio gungnir dac good with the HD800? I know the HD800 is particular about what amp sounds great with it, however I want to know if the HD800 is particular about the type of dac one uses.

Jul 7, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #11,965 of 29,010
Not in my experience. Too aggressive and relentless in its delivery, not very good dynamic contrast.

Jul 7, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #11,966 of 29,010
Is the schiit audio gungnir dac good with the HD800? I know the HD800 is particular about what amp sounds great with it, however I want to know if the HD800 is particular about the type of dac one uses.

I had only demoed it but I think hd800 with the Gungnir lacks some refinement and can sound unnatural at times. Compared to the amp I actually feel hd800 is more DAC dependent. Whereas say my HE6 is more amp dependent.

Jul 7, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #11,967 of 29,010
Why not always keep the most neutral DAC and play around with amps + headphone/speaker. DAC rolling sounds like a headache.

Jul 7, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #11,968 of 29,010
  Why not always keep the most neutral DAC and play around with amps + headphone/speaker. DAC rolling sounds like a headache.

Picking a neutral DAC is a bit more complex than just examining the frequency response chart. Most DACs these days have very flat FR, yet they sound different. Other parameters that impact the sound quality are either difficult to measure or just not provided, i.e. dynamics, resolution, detail level, phase response across the frequency range, jitter, etc. Price is not necessarily a good indicator of how well these parameters have been managed.

The downstream gear (pre-amps, equalizers, amps, headphones, speakers) has its own characteristics that either play well with these factors (usually by masking the flaws) or expose mercilessly all the shortcomings. In other words all the components of the signal chain must work together like an orchestra.

It's your choice whether you decide to build your system around your DAC, your amp or your headphone. To me the most critical component is the headphone, as it has some additional characteristics which do not impact the rest of the chain yet are critical to me i.e. wearing comfort.

Jul 7, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #11,969 of 29,010
Picking a neutral DAC is a bit more complex than just examining the frequency response chart. Most DACs these days have very flat FR, yet they sound different. Other parameters that impact the sound quality are either difficult to measure or just not provided, i.e. dynamics, resolution, detail level, phase response across the frequency range, jitter, etc. Price is not necessarily a good indicator of how well these parameters have been managed.

The downstream gear (pre-amps, equalizers, amps, headphones, speakers) has its own characteristics that either play well with these factors (usually by masking the flaws) or expose mercilessly all the shortcomings. In other words all the components of the signal chain must work together like an orchestra.

It's your choice whether you decide to build your system around your DAC, your amp or your headphone. To me the most critical component is the headphone, as it has some additional characteristics which do not impact the rest of the chain yet are critical to me i.e. wearing comfort.

Extremely well said!! From a dollar:impact ratio perspective, exclude the music itself, I agreed the headphone is the most critical component, followed by DAC, then AMP, then lastly the power, cable, interconnects and whatnot.

yup, besides what PleasantSounds said, DAC rolling is expensive - you almost never know how it perform compared to others unless you actually buy them. Maybe a lucky few can find loaners to demo at home but there isn't really much "specs" or "measurement" that tell you much besides they aren't flat out garbage. To make thing worse DAC are advancing much faster than amp technologies and any investment you make today could be worth very little next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back