The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jul 6, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #11,896 of 29,010
beerchug.gif

Jul 6, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #11,898 of 29,010
Jul 6, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #11,899 of 29,010
What's the best way to store the HD800 and prevent dust?

EDIT: It's really annoying that sennheiser doesn't include an 
[COLOR=333333]aluminum case like the T1 case.[/COLOR]​

Just make sure you use them everyday and it won't collect any dust... mine lives on its woo stand and I make sure I use it everyday...

Jul 6, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #11,900 of 29,010
I'm done here, it's being returned.  I'm not modding or getting a new DAC or Amp.   I wasn't looking for something to mod or look for a DAC or Amp to fix the damn thing.  

Probably for the best now that you've stomped the toes of a number of us who were simply trying to lend you a hand.

Sorry you took my amp comment so personally. I have nothing against AMB's designs. I just thought you might find the output impedance considerations helpful, particularly given that Senn designed it's own hd800 amp with a 40 ohm output. Did you even test out your impedance adapter idea or read purrin's impedance thread (on that other forum) before heading off to sling mud in other threads about those of us who were trying to engage with you here?

Jul 6, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #11,901 of 29,010
Probably for the best now that you've stomped the toes of a number of us who were simply trying to lend you a hand.

Sorry you took my amp comment so personally. I have nothing against AMB's designs. I just thought you might find the output impedance considerations helpful, particularly given that Senn designed it's own hd800 amp with a 40 ohm output. Did you even test out your impedance adapter idea or read purrin's impedance thread (on that other forum) before heading off to sling mud in other threads about those of us who were trying to engage with you here?

+1

@SilverEars, Good luck with the return.  On the last note, IMO, there's really nothing wrong with the HD800, assuming your HD800 isn't a defect unit.

Jul 6, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #11,902 of 29,010
There goes another ODAC fan.....
rolleyes.gif

Jul 6, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #11,903 of 29,010

I wanted to try it and see if I like it, and it turned out it wasn't my cup of tea.  I like to tell it like it is.  There are some advices I would take given if it's reasonable, but I really didn't run into it here such as below.  I had to challenge your 40ohm theory since you there wasn't anything reasonable about it.  Possibly the mod, but it's just suggesting it's bright and need fixing. 

There goes another ODAC fan.....
rolleyes.gif

Jul 6, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #11,904 of 29,010
I listen to my HD800 through my Asus Essence One and it really sounds wonderful. I really don't believe there is a music genre that the HD800 doesn't reproduce well. It's a transducer, that's all it is. Garbage in/garbage out.

Jul 6, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #11,906 of 29,010
  I wanted to try it and see if I like it, and it turned out it wasn't my cup of tea.  I like to tell it like it is.  There are some advices I would take given if it's reasonable, but I really didn't run into it here such as below.  I had to challenge your 40ohm theory since you there wasn't anything reasonable about it.  Possibly the mod, but it's just suggesting it's bright and need fixing. 

SilverEars - the whole point is that people here were attempting to provide you with helpful suggestions since you were posting in the "appreciation" thread.  None of us took the position that these are perfect headphones.  In fact, the false proposition that they should be "perfect" was your excuse for refusing to even consider the anax mod or other simple gear changes that might (or might not) have allowed you to enjoy the hd800's.  Your comment that you like to "tell it like it is" is an extremely weak (and, in fact, inaccurate) justification for your lack of civility and choice to badmouth several of us in another thread.  

Further, I am unaware of any post in which you substantively "challenged" the proposition that the output impedance of an amp can shape the sound of dynamic headphones.  It is well documented here and elsewhere that higher output impedance amps do change the FR of many transducers.  As you acknowledged a few pages back, unlike orthos, the hd800's have a giant impedance spike on their curve.  Bass does get boosted (at the cost of tightness) by amps with higher output impedance.  An amp with an impedance selector lets you experiment with this very easily.  You can chose to believe the Senn's engineers are totally incompetent or just happened to chose to make a SS circuit with a 40 ohm tap because they are arbitrary and capricious.  Occam's razor suggests otherwise.  The "reasonable" assumption is that Senn concluded an ultra-low Z amp was not the ideal match for hd800's and probably hd650's as well.  

Jul 6, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #11,908 of 29,010
The HD800 is so brutally honest, and that can turn people off, because let's face it, most people like smooth and pleasant sound .
As i said, this headphone is only for the most hardcore audiophiles...

TIL I'm an audiophile…and a hardcore one at that
biggrin.gif

Jul 6, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #11,909 of 29,010
The HD800 is so brutally honest, and that can turn people off, because let's face it, most people like smooth and pleasant sound .

I almost chimed in to say, "that's why you should have the 650 as a complement." But then I thought to myself, "I haven't put on the 650 since I got the 800."

Jul 6, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #11,910 of 29,010

Guilty, as charged, M'Lud! But I still listen to the HD650 and the RS1i a lot, depending on the source...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back