The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jul 5, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #11,866 of 29,010
Silver ears. Post a link please.
Is it avaluble on download
Al

Look for Kind of Blue on SACD.  I have in PCM FLAC 24-88.  

http://www.audiostream.com/content/kind-blue-dsd-v-pcm

HD tracks has PCM and Acoustic Sounds has DSD, it say hi res, but not sure if it would be the same as the rip I have which is from Japanese SACD(I don't see why it would be different).  I have the Japanese SACD from 2007 PCM rip.

Jul 5, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #11,867 of 29,010
  What's the best way to store the HD800 and prevent dust?

EDIT: It's really annoying that sennheiser doesn't include an 
aluminum case like the T1 case.​

You can leave your HD800 out 24/7 as long as you exfoliate 3 times a day :D 

I keep mine in their box when I'm not at home. But dust is the last thing on the hit-list. A Wife who doesn't know how much they cost (God forbid) and a 2 year old that will happily use them to strangle the cat, oh and those grills make perfect scratch-posts!   

Dust.. phhh 

Jul 5, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #11,870 of 29,010
I'm trying to figure these phones out, it's quite difficult.  
redface.gif
  I dropped 8k via EQ and it seems to reduce the harshness a bit.  The thing is my EQ for Foobar doesn't have 7k, anybody know of a good one that covers 7k?

Jul 5, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #11,871 of 29,010
Try JRiver. Free trial available if you don't have it already.

Jul 5, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #11,874 of 29,010
I noticed my 8k drop didn't turn out too well.  By dropping 8k, and thus getting rid of the harshness, I'm also getting rid of some details or textures that's not related to the harshness.  The hashness is just really aggressive and forward, but there are also other information in that part of the spectrum that isn't harsh or aggressive that should be there. 

It's perplexing how pop sounds the way it does and the audiophile tracks sound so much different.  The reason why this is perplexing is I have phones that resolve super well and audiophiles track sound very good, and so does pop. I don't think the explanation is as simple as it's bringing out the bad in the recordings.  There is something in the way the headphones's FR is causing certain sounds(some recording has their own frequency characteristics) to not sound well.   It's obviously the headphone's treble characteristics.  The treble definition seems to be dependent on the recording so cannot say it's not defined, it's just certain recordings it's not defined well.

Jul 5, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #11,875 of 29,010
Try Audirvana Plus if you're on Mac. What software are you currently using for music?

Jul 5, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #11,876 of 29,010
A+ is good. Fidelia is not bad either. Save for its rather rudimentary library interface. Another one which I've had joy tweaking with is the JRiver Media Center. 
L3000.gif

Jul 5, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #11,878 of 29,010
  Foobar2K in Windows.

Can't help you with that one. On mac when using my external DAC, I definitely notice a positive difference if I use Audirvana Plus vs. iTunes' native processor to play the same music files.

If you do end up using mac's, then I'd highly recommend Audirvana Plus. Best overall in terms of sound, UI, low processing consumption, and basically no crashing. There was Amarra, but I couldn't handle how many times it crashed and it's UI was beyond poor. Maybe it changed recently.

Jul 6, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #11,879 of 29,010
I just looked at LCD-3 graph, and it's the opposite of the HD800.  It dips around the area that would cause harshness.  I'm thinking this was intentional.  The exact spot I wanted to EQ down with the HD800 is dipped with the LCD-3.

Jul 6, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #11,880 of 29,010
I mentioned that the HD800's characteristics reminds me of the K701.   Look at the these, they are very close.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AKGK701.pdf

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD800.pdf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back