The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Sep 8, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #13,668 of 29,013
  Yes, but it won't be quite the real thing either.
ATH M50 does decent sound, but we want HD800. For me the analogy is that extensive. 
Awesome room scales speakers up that much, if the speakers are not the limiting factor.

blink.gif
 No one here is comparing M50 junk material to HD800. WIth mid/high range monitors and some non-invasive and cost effective treatment, you can easily get to a very good level that will easily be pleasing as the HD800. I've seen people here spend easily $1000 on interconnects, USB cables, headphone stands, headphone cables. For $1000, you can get kick ass treatment packages from the likes or Auralex and Primacoustic. There is a lot that can be done to improve the sound in each scenario. Now if you inherently have a terrible (and small) room from all aspect, then it's worth it to go headphones only. Otherwise, you can go for it and get very pleasing results.

I know it's possible to build a room from ground up to your preference and speakers, but nearly none of us are in a situation to do that and have to do the best with the hand we've been dealt. I honestly think with some time and effort, you can definitely satisfy your high end expectations, or come quite close. Of course, for those that are perfectionists and want the best but can't mess with their rooms, there is always HD800. 
biggrin.gif

There is always something for everyone.

Sep 8, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #13,669 of 29,013
:blink:  No one here is comparing M50 junk material to HD800. WIth mid/high range monitors and some non-invasive and cost effective treatment, you can easily get to a very good level that will easily be pleasing as the HD800. I've seen people here spend easily $1000 on interconnects, USB cables, headphone stands, headphone cables. For $1000, you can get kick ass treatment packages from the likes or Auralex and Primacoustic. There is a lot that can be done to improve the sound in each scenario. Now if you inherently have a terrible (and small) room from all aspect, then it's worth it to go headphones only. Otherwise, you can go for it and get very pleasing results.

I know it's possible to build a room from ground up to your preference and speakers, but nearly none of us are in a situation to do that and have to do the best with the hand we've been dealt. I honestly think with some time and effort, you can definitely satisfy your high end expectations, or come quite close. Of course, for those that are perfectionists and want the best but can't mess with their rooms, there is always HD800. :D

I like your style Zoom, a lot Can learned by room treatment to provide good acoustics.
My speakers sounded horrible until I put some carpet, curtains and furniture in the corners, afterwards it's was on a whole different level.

I have some high-end active speakers that gives me the same level of detail and a different soundstage, but can't give me that lowest bass and that airier top as HD800 is capable off.

Sorry if this is off topic, guys.

Sep 8, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #13,670 of 29,013
:blink:  No one here is comparing M50 junk material to HD800. WIth mid/high range monitors and some non-invasive and cost effective treatment, you can easily get to a very good level that will easily be pleasing as the HD800. I've seen people here spend easily $1000 on interconnects, USB cables, headphone stands, headphone cables. For $1000, you can get kick ass treatment packages from the likes or Auralex and Primacoustic. There is a lot that can be done to improve the sound in each scenario. Now if you inherently have a terrible (and small) room from all aspect, then it's worth it to go headphones only. Otherwise, you can go for it and get very pleasing results.

I know it's possible to build a room from ground up to your preference and speakers, but nearly none of us are in a situation to do that and have to do the best with the hand we've been dealt. I honestly think with some time and effort, you can definitely satisfy your high end expectations, or come quite close. Of course, for those that are perfectionists and want the best but can't mess with their rooms, there is always HD800. :D

I have never considered the m50's junk, poor choice of words. The m50's have been used by a lot of people entering this hobby. Beats may be junk but the ath-m50's are not junk.

Sep 8, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #13,671 of 29,013

blink.gif
 No one here is comparing M50 junk material to HD800. 

I am. Top notch professional monitors from KH, Genelec, Adam or any great speakers do scale from being ~M50 worthy on a standard (or substandard) room to easily beyond HD800 capable in a nice room.
I know i'm not alone with this opinion.
I also don't think M50 is junk, its just poor performer next to HD800, as it should be expected.

Reason for me to go headphone route was exactly the room problem. All the carpets and treatment panels that can be physically fitted in the wrong room didn't change it enough for me. Sure it made big difference, but not enough. It was my hobby for 5 years, i have some knowledge too.
For some people it will work fine and some of my friends still consider speakers in their dorm room better option than top HPs.

I think people are ready to make compromises in different aspects of sound. I can live with HP soundstage and lack of bone conduction. But i don't want to give up coherency and timbral accuracy that headphones can deliver but speakers in my appartment can not. 

Sep 8, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #13,672 of 29,013
  Can anyone on this thread give a subjective/objective guess about pulling out the potential of the HD800 via amp:

For example FiiO E11 = 50%

ALO MKlll = 80%

Once you get above $2K are you getting 95% 

and above 3K = 97%

I know the HD800 scales with the quality of the amp, but what is the end game? 

Thats is going to be very subjective.  For many it will vary with the entire system. Amplifier are  one part of the system. The Viva Egoista for me is my new reference amplifier. The best I have heard the HD800 with but honestly I couldn't say that the V281 in house was maybe 90 percent of that but hard to put a number on it . I know the differences are small and for many they may consider it to be end game solution. Decur has heard this amp and also owns the Tetron and he felt  the Viva was an  endgame type of amplifier, but you pay lots for that. The 10K retail  price will defer many listeners but it is clearly a statement product and my new reference but I could clearly live with the V281 at a much lesser price and be happy as well. The Tetron is excellent as well as the WA5 I sold to buy the Viva. This is my current reference and feel it will  be be around a long time.

Sep 8, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #13,673 of 29,013

blink.gif
 No one here is comparing M50 junk material to HD800. WIth mid/high range monitors and some non-invasive and cost effective treatment, you can easily get to a very good level that will easily be pleasing as the HD800. I've seen people here spend easily $1000 on interconnects, USB cables, headphone stands, headphone cables. For $1000, you can get kick ass treatment packages from the likes or Auralex and Primacoustic. There is a lot that can be done to improve the sound in each scenario. Now if you inherently have a terrible (and small) room from all aspect, then it's worth it to go headphones only. Otherwise, you can go for it and get very pleasing results.

I know it's possible to build a room from ground up to your preference and speakers, but nearly none of us are in a situation to do that and have to do the best with the hand we've been dealt. I honestly think with some time and effort, you can definitely satisfy your high end expectations, or come quite close. Of course, for those that are perfectionists and want the best but can't mess with their rooms, there is always HD800. 
biggrin.gif

That's a little harsh and untrue
wink.gif
  M50 is absolutely no junk, especially for the $.

Sep 8, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #13,674 of 29,013
  Thats is going to be very subjective.  For many it will vary with the entire system. Amplifier are  one part of the system. The Viva Egoista for me is my new reference amplifier. The best I have heard the HD800 with but honestly I couldn't say that the V281 in house was maybe 90 percent of that but hard to put a number on it . I know the differences are small and for many they may consider it to be end game solution. Decur has heard this amp and also owns the Tetron and he felt  the Viva was an  endgame type of amplifier, but you pay lots for that. The 10K retail  price will defer many listeners but it is clearly a statement product and my new reference but I could clearly live with the V281 at a much lesser price and be happy as well. The Tetron is excellent as well as the WA5 I sold to buy the Viva. This is my current reference and feel it will  be be around a long time.

You bought the Viva? 
eek.gif
 ...... Slow down frank! I'll never catch you at this stage!

Sep 8, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #13,675 of 29,013

FrankI,

Did you ever get a chance to listen to the Teton's big brother, the Apex Pinnacle? It is in the same price range and the Viva Egoista. It should be an interesting comparison.

I've heard the Pinnacle for several days--no long enough unfortunately-- so I would love to find out how it stacks up.

Cheers,

J_T

Sep 8, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #13,676 of 29,013

FrankI,

Did you ever get a chance to listen to the Teton's big brother, the Apex Pinnacle? It is in the same price range and the Viva Egoista. It should be an interesting comparison.

I've heard the Pinnacle for several days--no long enough unfortunately-- so I would love to find out how it stacks up.

Cheers,

J_T

I have not yet but hope to at some point. Two different designs though. This is an 845 tube design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back