The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Mar 25, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #1,276 of 29,013
Quote:

Well they have to make a profit somewhere.  It's questionable they spent any kind of real money in cables.  Especially when they're detectable and most likely replaced by the customers.  

Doesn't matter.  I changed mine out as soon as I got it.  No wait - I had my cable waiting on the headphones to get here.  Now trying to decide on Hard wiring or not.  Very venturous.

If you buy a high in bicycle... you'll find it usually doesn't have pedals on it. No point in putting whatever on there says the manufacturer. Serious cyclists are just going to replace them with their favored type anyhow. Many high end products omit quality components, because enthusiasts replace what's replaceable almost immediately.

Mar 25, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #1,277 of 29,013
Oh good, another cable debate!

popcorn.gif

Mar 25, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #1,278 of 29,013
Quote:
Oh great, the stock cable of hd800 actually costs 300$ if you want to replace it.
Must be good then. Off course the more you spend , the better it sounds.
For best sound quality, I  actually burn money to generate electricity, in order to run my headphone.
Much better than stock electricity ! You must look for audiophile-grade electricity !

Some people are straight *&%  *&%^$

Mar 25, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #1,279 of 29,013
Quote:
So I think I made a mistake... I took the inner ear pads out of my HD800s and proceeded to listen.

... WOW.

DONT do it. I can't put mine back in. I did that, and then pulled them out again.... It's like "lifting a veil"... because that's what the dang things are.  Has _anyone_ have any suggestions here? I'm already thinking mod, ie to find a lighter material to protect the diaphragm.

angry_face.gif

Okay... more comparisons. Got of that little high there. Phew.
The difference wasn't all that big... but maybe... I don't know. I'd have to remove them again. Dang. :)

Mar 25, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #1,280 of 29,013
Quote:

Some people are straight A _ _  _ _ _ _ _.

He is actually pretty much spot-on. I would actually rather generate audiophile electricity that way than spend thousands of dollars on cables - much more fun, the same effect!

Mar 25, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #1,281 of 29,013
Quote:
Okay... more comparisons. Got of that little high there. Phew.
The difference wasn't all that big... but maybe... I don't know. I'd have to remove them again. Dang. :)

I've tried several different audiophile cables... No difference, maybe slightly changed frequency response but that's all.

(Changed FR =/= better quality, IMHO)

Mar 25, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #1,282 of 29,013
Quote:

He is actually pretty much spot-on. I would actually rather generate audiophile electricity that way than spend thousands of dollars on cables - much more fun, the same effect!

Well you can join him for all I care with your audiophile electricity.  People are allowed to spend what ever they want.  It's their money.  Why should you or any one else question them.  Just because you don't have the money to spend - to bad.

Mar 25, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #1,283 of 29,013
Quote:

I understand that business is business... But why should any manufacturer offer crappy cable with their extremely expensive headphones if it is so easy and cheap to make and sell a correct one? HD800 is sold in huge numbers, no problem to manufacture a quality cable for cheap IMHO.

You are talking like making an audio cable is quantum physics... No, making a proper cable is actually very cheap in comparison to engineering the drivers, ergonomics etc.

As for the materials, once again, making a cable is not quantum physics... There is zero probability Sennheiser could run into problems with suppliers in this regard.

I don't think anyone is saying the cable's are crappy, and keep in mind GG and Prep believe cables make a difference.

Their point is Sennheiser doesn't offer the best cable, does Sennheiser cut costs and use a "inferior wire?", or does Sennheiser use the best cable (in their minds),
and for their specific design goals? No one knows.

This topic is pretty endless.

I for one believe Sennheiser uses the cable they use because they believe it's the best. Meaning, all the other types out there don't make an audible difference.

This leads me to go back to Stax and why they don't use exotic wire.  

Mar 25, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #1,284 of 29,013
Not everyone buys cables for sonic improvement. I don't believe in cables making a difference in sound and have a cable that costs around $300. In any case it's best to leave this to the cable subforum. I'd rather not see this thread get locked too.

Mar 25, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #1,285 of 29,013
Quote:
I don't think anyone is saying the cable's are crappy, and keep in mind GG and Prep believe cables make a difference.

Their point is Sennheiser doesn't offer the best cable, does Sennheiser cut costs and use a "inferior wire?", or does Sennheiser use the best cable (in their minds),
and for their specific design goals? No one knows.

This topic is pretty endless.

I for one believe Sennheiser uses the cable they use because they believe it's the best. Meaning, all the other types out there don't make an audible difference.

This leads me to go back to Stax and why they don't use exotic wire.  

Well, I only buy cable for three reasons.  Functionality, Flexibility and Aesthetics - with the hope when they are hardwired there are SQ improvements.

Mar 25, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #1,286 of 29,013
Well I don't think the stock cable is "crappy" per se but I'm sure Sennheiser thought that would be the optimal area to compromise in to increase their profit margins.  If they for instance, built a better quality stock cable, then charged $1800 for the headphone their overall profits would likely decrease due to fewer sales, even if the sound quality was slightly better.

A good example would be if manufacturer A produced a headphone that after R&D, parts, labor, and scale cost them $400 to make and is sold at $800.  Manufacturer B also costs $400 to make but is sold for $1200.  Both headphones have sound quality that is comparable to their respective price points.  Do you think that manufacturer B would lower their sale price to be proportional with Manufacturer A?  Of course not.  Manufacturers will charge as high as they can to what level of price/sell quantity ratio they think the market will tolerate given their sound quality level (or just demand, a la Beats).

If Sennheiser thought that an HD800 priced at $2500 would sell in the same quantity as one priced at $1500, they would certainly raise the price without adding anything to the headphones themselves.  Likewise, If they would sell in large enough quantities at $1000, they would drop the price.  I'm sure Sennheiser pays their bean counters good money to figure out those optimal ratios for maximum profits, just like any large business.

Now I'm not knocking the HD800 at all, I love them.  It's still my favorite headphone I've owned so far.  And it seems that Sennheiser at least puts some of their profits into R&D, at least more than some others.  But don't think for a moment that they will put the absolutely highest quality material in what they build, just because it costs $1500; they will only put in the minimum cost to produce what they feel they have to for the maximum profit, it's simple business.  I think one of the few manufacturers that actually prices their products strictly on their production costs is Audio-GD.  But they're not really a "Big business"

Just my $0.02  *steps down from soapbox*

Mar 25, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #1,287 of 29,013
I believe cables make a difference, but it's not my priority. Quality, aesthetics, ergonomics, SOMETHING THAT'S NOT 10FT, and the fact that I need to buy cables to go balanced, makes me buy appropriate cables. In this case, Senn's and Audeze's stock cables tick only 1 out of 5 of listed qualities.

The very fact that Sennheiser doesn't offer balanced cables may indicate that, as prep has noted, they may be expecting enthusiasts who spend $1500 on headphones, and more so on equipment, may most likely replace the cables anyways. They aren't ignorant, nor are they hermits either. I can't say the same for Audeze...

Mar 25, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #1,289 of 29,013
The problem isn't the cable, it's what takes up all that space and weight that isn't cable...

I'll take my cut to length, loop on my pinky cable, that's full of actual cable over the plastic sheath with a little cable Senn gave me that I need to loop and tie wrap to keep tidy.  And it's really hard to insert a 1/4" TRS inti a 4pin XLR.   Just saying :wink:

Mar 25, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #1,290 of 29,013
This leads me to another question, can you use a 1/4" TRS Female to 4 Pin XLR male adapter with balanced headphone jacks?   I am a cheap bast**d and those cost like $20.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back