The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Aug 6, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #12,661 of 29,013
Yeah, just a different approach. I bitch and can find fault with everything, even what I currently own, especially what I current own. I also don't go around saying stuff is transparent or wire-with-gain. I haven't heard anything near transparent or wire-with-gain yet. Anyone who says that is full of smelly fecal matter or lacks experience.

You can say stuff like the ECZD suchks, and if you could give me one or two legit words why, I can totally understand where you are coming from. My friend Anaxilus thinkgs the ECZD suchks, and I totally understand. But most of the time though, the words are just crap people parrot from others.

I love true seekers like Greed and Anaxilus. Always on that endless search for better. Never resting on their laurels. Those are only but of a few who make me realize what I currently have sucks in the larger scheme of things. It's that never-ending quest for the holy grail - to finding something that will fool us into thinking it's real.

Aug 6, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #12,662 of 29,013

Quote:

Never heard GSX2 with HE6. But yeah. GSX2 with HD800 was horrible. Unlistenable treble with limp dick bass. I mean how the fugk you can any amp make an MSB Analog DAC sound so unanalog? I know a local guy here who had a GSX2 briefly and promptly got rid of it. "overrated" he said. Ultimately, just not my kind of sound. But I'm sure many like the antiseptic.

Funny you mention product bias or some kind of clique. That's been said about people who like the GSX. Goes both ways I guess. Like with placebo there is always nocebo.

Naw champ, not me, I'm solo in this piece. I don't own the amp and I'm not apart of any clique, I call it like I see it.  I see BS all over this one..  

It would be a shame if you let your product bias affect your impressions. (not saying you are - but it just seems like it).  So what if your crew is beefing with that other crew - Chuck the bias out the window and be fair about it.  

People here seem to take your word as "God" or something - I don't know why.  However, I can see folks running to cancel their GS-X mk2 order as we speak - because of a slamming like that in public.  Those things could have been said a little more politically correct.  But then again, if that's how you fell - that's how you feel.  

Is the GS-X mk2 overrated?  I didn't think it was. Others may feel different.  

Aug 6, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #12,663 of 29,013
Prepro, I could see how something like an HE-500s or perhaps LCD-2s, would pair really well with the GSX2. Regardless of clique, solo, membership or whatever. Those are not pocket change cans either. It did not work with the HD-800, at least for me.

Is it overrated? Well, if someone goes around and says everything you plug into this amp turns to gold, I guess so. In general, there are IMO combinations that work great and some others that don't.

Aug 6, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #12,664 of 29,013

Yup. Lots of people like it. Just saying I don't like it with the HD800. I don't deny it's "transparent" or very clear sounding and resolving. I already stated that.

I mean if the GSX is go great, why did prepoman sell it and replace it with a cheap ass Master 7.3.1415926 from Audio-GD?

What's that the DAC?  I didn't replace the amp with a DAC if that's what that means.  I also replaced my F1J, does that make it any less good or great? NO..
cool.gif

I guess for the same reason you replaced your stuff with that cheap ass Schiit sh#t.

Aug 6, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #12,665 of 29,013

If I go by what MacedonianHero says, the LCD-X, XC, 2, 3 and the Stax 009 and 007 are all ruler-flat awesome... Even if one has different priorities and preferences, I don't see how all of those can sound ruler-flat awesome at the same time. They just don't sound the same to me.

Exactumundo.  FR doesn't tell you the complete story, but it gives you the characteristic of headphones.  HD800 is obviously boosted from 5-10k, you see that, and when you EQ, it lines up.  Although LCDs look flat, it's realy not because the treble dips.  Treble dipping is very significant.  LCD and HD800 treble are like polar opposites, hence you have fans for each respective phone.  009 I haven't heard extensively so I cannot say how it sounds, but based on FR, it looks like a happy medium of the polar opposites.  

In summary, what M said is an overstatement.

purrin is fowl mouthed man.  
biggrin.gif
 Quite a contrast from how things are usually put here.  

Aug 6, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #12,667 of 29,013
  Exactumundo.  FR doesn't tell you the complete story, but it gives you the characteristic of headphones.  HD800 is obviously boosted from 5-10k, you see that, and when you EQ, it lines up.  Although LCDs look flat, it's realy not because the treble dips.  Treble dipping is very significant.  LCD and HD800 treble are like polar opposites, hence you have fans for each respective phone.  009 I haven't heard extensively so I cannot say how it sounds, but based on FR, it looks like a happy medium of the polar opposites.  

In summary, what M said is an overstatement.

purrin is fowl mouthed man.  
biggrin.gif
 Quite a contrast from how things are usually put here.  

Even if one has zero confidence in FR, I can say with confidence that LCDs in general don't sound like 009s or 007s. Can't see having all of them as references for neutrality and awesomeness at the same time.

Going back to the HD-800, it is not my favorite headphone at all, but I can see some pairings working really well. The best pairing I've heard (IMO) had a modded HD-800 though.

Pretty sure [Mod edit: ...that I shouldn't write rude commments directed at other members.]

Aug 6, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #12,668 of 29,013

Even if one has zero confidence in FR, I can say with confidence that LCDs in general don't sound like 009s or 007s. Can't see having all of them as references for neutrality and awesomeness at the same time.

Going back to the HD-800, it is not my favorite headphone at all, but I can see some pairings working really well. The best pairing I've heard (IMO) had a modded HD-800 though.

Never said that, and like I said, they don't sound the same. The FR even shows it, although there are other aspects to the phones other than FR.

I don't find the ones I've heard on the list as neutral.  They are not neutral.  So if M said ruler flat bla bla, it's load of crock!  Possibly the 009 that I've not heard extensively, could be more neutral than the others.

Aug 6, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #12,669 of 29,013
  Never said that, and like I said, they don't sound the same. The FR even shows it, although there are other aspects to the phones other than FR.

I don't find the ones I've heard on the list as neutral.  They are not neutral.  So if M said ruler flat bla bla, it's load of crock!  Possibly the 009 that I've not heard extensively, could be more neutral than the others.

Nah I know exactly what you mean mang. It's just I know some people "don't do plots"...

Aug 6, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #12,670 of 29,013

Chuck the bias out the window and be fair about it.  

Want the honest answer?

The GSX2 is in general OK - but used with the HD800s, quite horrible. I'll say it for the third time. Very clear and resolving. But with the HD800, sounds anemic in comparison to the big tube amps. I also feel it's kind of on the flat analytical side. It has a tendency to impart some etch into the treble. The character of such is very much like SABRE - so whether you use an Oppo or MSB Analog, both end up sounding very similarly on the GSX2. This is another trait that makes me not like it with the HD800 which tends to be treble happy and grainy.

Very good match with the HE-500. The HE-500 has a slightly compressed character, like many other orthos, so the inherent flatness of the GSX2 doesn't manifest as much on it compared to the HD-800. The HE-500 also tends to be thick sounding, so the GSX2 characteristic of being antiseptic gels well.

Compared to the Mjolnir, I prefer the Mjolnir. The Mjolnir has way more slam than the GSX2, more than anything else - perhaps only beaten by the Dynahi. Mjolnir has way better macrodynamics and is rather amazing in the microdynamics - probably has something to do with the cybertron output stage. However the Mjolnir is not as clear sounding the the GSX2 - it still has this low level of haze in the lower mids. Mjolnir is raw in the treble - not as controlled, but it is not etched.

With headphones such as HD800, I'd take the Mjolnir over the GSX2. Although I would take the $129 Vali before either of them.

People here seem to take your word as "God" or something - I don't know why.  However, I can see folks running to cancel their GS-X mk2 order as we speak - because of a slamming like that in public.  Those things could have been said a little more politically correct.  But then again, if that's how you fell - that's how you feel.  

This is really what it's about isn't it? Some sort of envy? Look, I'm just a random fooker. I REALLY DOUBT people are going to run out to cancel their GSX2 orders based on what I said. I'm sure people ordered the GSX2 knew exactly what they were getting into before they put down the deposit.

Aug 6, 2014 at 8:57 PM Post #12,671 of 29,013

By approximate price give or take a few hundred - not in order of sound quality - and only in relation to HD800.

1. Vali - extremely resolving for price. tube wetness. hint of warmth in bass. smooth, but neutral treble. monotonic timbre, but not gonna bitch for $120. I use it myself.
  2. mStage - warmish solid state if input caps are left in place. lacks resolution and microdynamics compared to tube brethen.
  3. Vahalla 2 - not the Vahalla 1. probably top 1/3 of this list in terms of SQ. yes, that's how good it is. fast, clear, resolving - more than Crack. not as warm though / neutralish. does not work nearly as well with low Z or orthos. best to stick with high Z Senns or Beyers.
  4. Crack - must have speedball upgrade for use with HD800. warm (but again tubes play role). not resolving enough to take full advantage of hd800. this is why most owners say it better with HD6XX than HD800.
  5. Super 7 (available used only) - bassy and thicker. darker sounding than best. balance can vary though quite a bit depending upon tubes. great slam and microdynamics. very good resolution.
  6. HDVD600/800 - I had my doubts, but great match with HD800. very refined sound, but probably lacks the slam the better amps have. balanced mode a must for staging, layering, separation, openness. not an exceptional amp, but very very solid choice considering price.
  7. Luxman P1u - basically sounds like a Super 7 lite. slightly more veiled, slightly less fast, but just a euphonic in a no hassle ss package. Sounded dated and is less technically competent than most other amp in list now. But again, how you can get ECZD sound in a SS package?
  8. Bryston BHA-1 - delineated treble attacks, but actually works well with HD800. neutralish. some reports of MOSFETS getting hot resulting in bass mud galore. Good staging though.
  9. ZDSE - euphonic sounding amp. luxorious ride in mercedes. slightly veiled when compared to the bigger boy toob stuff. good stage. warm and euphonic, treble is the sharpest of all EC amps, but all other EC amps tend to sound "not bright" (didn't want to use dark, because that may imply something else.) I've noticed most ZDSE owners have a thick copper cable with HD800.
  10. Stratus - slightly wet sound. latest version and upgrades is better all around with better bass articulation, staging, blackness, etc. Intimate sounding and actually good with cheap chinese toobs. works straight out of box with HD800, although with latest upgrades, care must be taken with source. I love this amp and Donald is so fricking smart, but he never comes off that way.
  11. LG - had some of the more laid back 6sn7s and worked well with HD800. Has Cavalli trademark smooth sound with a very refined character which suits the HD800 tendency toward dryness. tubes make a huge huge deal, the point of the amp, so YMMV.
  12. ECBA - neutralish amp, especially with new cinemag transformers. best staging, layering, separation, openness of any of the amps here by far because of high-frequency AC heater stolen from outer space satellite military applications. need to be careful of source. sometimes not a forgiving amp (I had to resort to anax mods), but toobs can make a difference.
  13. EC 4-45 - best production amp for HD800 period. Take the BA and turn things up a notch in realism. Not forgiving of source. i was touched by the hand of god when i first heard this. avoid if you like artificial warmth - it's a 45 tube after all. But goshdarn kicks hard as hell.

Great list, Purrin! How I wished I can audition the Luxman P1u, but I am (sort of) content with the HDVA600. It is very smooth and all, but lacks the attack of the BHA-1...

Hello HD 800 appreciators and users.
I was just wondering how many of you out there have tried pairing the ARCAM irDAC with the 800's?? You can include the name if your amp or cable upgrades based on your personal experience with this fine DAC. Personally myself, I'm a huge fan of the ARCAM. It's a real smash for the cash too!!
Love to hear some impressions. I feel that the 'treble harshness' because its so detailed, from the 800's, is gone or non existent. Overall though I think the ARCAM and the 800's are a top tear pairing. Anyone agree?

I've tried the Arcam irDAC before with HD800 and HDVA600, alongside Musical Fidelity M1 DAC. Here's my impression of it.

Aug 6, 2014 at 8:57 PM Post #12,672 of 29,013
  Quote:

Heard the "meet impressions" excuse before. The issues with this paring were not subtle. Again, HD800 + GSX2 should not be mixed IMO.

I heard Justin's combo at the NYC Spring meet and there were no issues at all.
900x900px-LL-a2205823_GSX-MKII.jpeg

I am sure that music preference will play a significant role in the judgement of this amp & headphone combination.
If someone who listens to Nirvana doesn't like it, that gives me a good reason not to value that judgement too much.
I just don't listen to that type of music, that's all there is to it.
beerchug.gif

Cheers

PS : And I am not cancelling my order with Justin
wink.gif

Aug 6, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #12,674 of 29,013
OK, I think I have to say something, I heard GSx-mkii like two weeks ago in one of my old friend's house, the source system is my Lampizator B7 and his MSB Diamond Sig plus. We have almost every current production flagship headphones. 

I am not familiar with MSB stuff, so I do not know how to describe their sound. I think GSX-MKII is not as good as some people claimed to be. Lots of people said gsx-mkii is super good with HD800, but I found out that it is not the case for me at least. Compared to my ECBA and my friend's balanced Dynahi, I think gsx-mkii has a narrower soundstage and it also has less details.

But I might not give it enough audition time, so I just bought an almost brand new GSX-MKII(just been delivered by Justin last month) from one member here, and I will receive it next week. So I will report back when I have some serious listening. I will try to use it with my dCS viavldi system. 

Aug 6, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #12,675 of 29,013
  This is really what it's about isn't it? Some sort of envy? Look, I'm just a random fooker. I REALLY DOUBT people are going to run out to cancel their GSX2 orders based on what I said. I'm sure people ordered the GSX2 knew exactly what they were getting into before they put down the deposit.

Naw slim,  I have no reason at all to envy you.  Not really my thing.   Carry on dude..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back