The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jul 9, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #12,046 of 29,013
I can only speak for my self when it comes to cables. I ordered a 5 feet cable from double helix cable. I bought it because i was tired of lugging around that long cable around. I can actually say the sound quality improved with the cable. I don't hear any interference at all after using the DH cable. Keep in mind I was using an adapter (1/4 to 1/18) for the HD800 stock cable. Maybe the signal leakage came from there.

Nuff respect the guy at double helix cables.

Jul 9, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #12,047 of 29,013
I opinions will always vary to a huge degree when it comes to high end audio equipment. I am finding that a lot of amps and DACS out there aren't necessarily better than the other just different. Some however, are far better for the money and that is where quality research and testing really comes in handy.

I've heard amazing things about that OPPO HA-1. It's definitely major bang for your dollar. I would take it over the HDV800 anyday and I'd save around 600$!!

Actually between my system's set up for headphone use I think I spent around 200$ more than you did, and you claim that the DAC portion in the OPPO measures up to the ARCAM irDAC? That's amazing then. The ARCAM performs like a 1500$ DAC and to my ears it's not a 'mid tier' DAC. It's completely high end, so I guess you are sitting pretty with that OPPO. Sounds great. Love to try it some day. Well done and enjoy.

Lastly I'm sure the amp portion in the OPPO is every bit as good as say, the Burson soloist. I have found that amps don't make as dramatic a change compared to adding DACs into your sound chain. Getting a good DAC is far more noticeable I have found.
smily_headphones1.gif

The whole chain is very important, the amps job is to amplify the DACs signal to the speakers/headphones. For sure if the DAC is inferior the amp won't make things much better, trash in trash out... but the whole chain is very important, indeed...

Jul 9, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #12,048 of 29,013
There is a review link on page 49 of the oppo ha1 thread.
The review basically said that
the HA-1 larger width and good separation qualities will accentuate the natural presentation of the hd800. .
So basically it is a recommended unit for the hd800
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: Funny how that review actually verified what I commented on about soundstage here and in that thread a while back. .
Edit:
Also don't agree with that review on planar headphones. .
To me the he560 is the one that changes the price point/value barrier

Sounds like from your comments on the HA-1 thread that you find the HA-1 is preferable to the WA7/WA7tp combination for the HD800?

Jul 9, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #12,049 of 29,013
For me, I treat cables as another component in the reproduction chain, along with isolation, and dampening (in the case of tubed amplification), and balanced power, amongst others, in the same camp.

I agree, the stock cable really is pretty decent. If you needed to replace the stock cable for any reason, I'd check out some alternate options. Not because mine broke or were worn out, but just because I wanted to try something else, I'm really enjoying the HD800's better with Alex's WyWire Red headphone cables. The WyWire Red headphone cable contributes to my overall music kit with much improved sound-staging, midrange body, and pure, extended bass. All traces of upper treble glare and stridency were resolved with the Red cable. 

Jul 9, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #12,051 of 29,013
Guys, guys, I just got this incredible new completely original paintjob on my HD800s.

Jul 9, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #12,053 of 29,013
This combination has amazed me...

HD800 (recent vintage)
Benchmark DAC2 HGC (used as DAC/balanced)
Woo WA-22 (selected tubes)

The Woo significantly tames the HD800 top end yet preserves and enhances the soundstage.  The Benchmark re-enforces the immediacy without imparting any additional stridency.  Your choice of tubes allows to fine tune all of the above.

Introducing an Audeze LCD-X flattens and enriches the SQ.

A Grace m903 does better with a Hifiman HE-500 with any Woo.

YMMV

Jul 9, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #12,055 of 29,013
  Nice...colorware?

Yup. One-off, they've never done a black one before and they're gonna retire the color after this one.
  How does it sound, hopefully not too dark ??
biggrin.gif

Coating the whole thing with paint has been the best damping mod so far.

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #12,058 of 29,013
lololololololololol

popcorn.gif

edit: I seem to recall that Maxvla painted his pair in 2012, was it?

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #12,059 of 29,013
  Yup. One-off, they've never done a black one before and they're gonna retire the color after this one.
Coating the whole thing with paint has been the best damping mod so far.

I believe that's not true.  Sorry to bring you bad news.  
biggrin.gif

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #12,060 of 29,013
You guys need to spray some Deox-it on your sarcasm detectors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back