The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Apr 29, 2014 at 1:28 AM Post #10,202 of 28,989
Nothing special, a bit too polite and flat. Try the violectric amps. You can find the v200 on the second hand market here sometimes.

The Violectric V200 has really good synergy with the HD800s!

Apr 29, 2014 at 2:54 AM Post #10,203 of 28,989
I found the HD800 to be quite comfortable on it's own but I wonder if anyone has bothered to try a Beyer foam headband on it, or anything else to even further improve the comfort? It made a big difference with the planars.

Apr 29, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #10,205 of 28,989
Latest itteration of my hardwired HD800. Now with 4-pin XLR and 6.3 adapter.

Not bad if I may say so myself.
basshead.gif

Apr 29, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #10,206 of 28,989
Latest itteration of my hardwired HD800. Now with 4-pin XLR and 6.3 adapter.

Not bad if I may say so myself. :basshead:  

What does hard wiring achieve ? I can't imagine any scenario where this is an advantage. I do like the adapter mod though btw that is certainly worth doing even with non hard wired cable. Saves pulling the wire out at the cups Everytime.

Apr 29, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #10,207 of 28,989
What does hard wiring achieve ? I can't imagine any scenario where this is an advantage. I do like the adapter mod though btw that is certainly worth doing even with non hard wired cable. Saves pulling the wire out at the cups Everytime.

You would be shocked to see all the parts that's "not needed" after hardwire mod has been done.  I would have it no other way now.  I got mine done by James at SAA.  Not sure where TwoEars got his done?

Apr 29, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #10,208 of 28,989
All to do with contacts, and the less the better. Hardwired isn't a contact anymore :)

Apr 29, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #10,209 of 28,989
Dare I ask how this improves sq? Is it to much of an assumption that even with the connectors the signal path is still clean. I am genuinely intrigued I'm not just after an argument btw. I wouldn't dare do this to my precious 800s!

Apr 29, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #10,210 of 28,989

You would be shocked to see all the parts that's "not needed" after hardwire mod has been done.  I would have it no other way now.  I got mine done by James at SAA.  Not sure where TwoEars got his done?

All courtesy of TwoEars Basement Mods Inc.
wink.gif

Hardwiring may not be 100% necessary but for me it was kind of a fun project, and there is no doubt in my mind that a HD800 hardwired with a pure copper cable is the ultimate expression of said headphone.

In my case I used microphone cable with 23AWG oxygen free copper, so this cable then goes all the way from the 4-pin XLR to each respective headphone driver.

I can't exactly do A-B comparisions but overall I'm extremely happy with the mod! Here's a picture I took while doing the original hardwiring. You can see how thin the original internal wires are compared the ones that are about to be soldered in.

If you're interested I posted more pictures of this some while back, maybe a month ago or so. I left some impression there as well and they're still valid!!!
wink.gif

Apr 29, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #10,212 of 28,989
  hardwiring is the new fashion?

i remember when people complained about the non-detachable cable for swapping, and now you destroy the cans to get hardwire

funny

Obviously this is a very decent DIY job (to say the least) and nothing about destroying the cans.
Of course you have to make a decision on the cable and loose the convenience of just pulling plugs out and swapping the cable but certainly any connection in the signal path that is not necessary can potentially degrade SQ.

Apr 29, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #10,213 of 28,989
Obviously this is a very decent DIY job (to say the least) and nothing about destroying the cans.
Of course you have to make a decision on the cable and loose the convenience of just pulling plugs out and swapping the cable but certainly any connection in the signal path that is not necessary can potentially degrade SQ.
The gauge of wires isn't that big of a deal with headphones.

Apr 29, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #10,214 of 28,989
The gauge of wires isn't that big of a deal with headphones.

A quote with no reference to the comment does not make too much sense, does it :wink:) ?

I haven't mentioned anything about wire gauge but you are right about that.
The current needed to be transported for a headphone usually doesn't pose a challenge for the wire.

What I was referring to were connections.
Every connection is worse than a straight wire. A high quality connection is less worse :wink:). Therefore hard wiring, when the connection is not really needed, is optimizing the signal path.

Apr 29, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #10,215 of 28,989
I prefer having detachable cables for varying length more than the sound change. Using on a desktop, I prefer a smaller cable. Although for another room where my setup would be far, I can swap it out for a 8/10 foot cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back