The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Feb 21, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #8,431 of 29,010
Matrix M-Stage HP2 for $250 after shipping a good deal? I don't think I can justify getting one though even if it's a good deal and bang for buck cuz I recently purchased the Questyle CMA800R. I guess my only need would be for dynamic low impedance headphones, as I don't have an amp for that. Is the M-Stage good for low impedance non-planars?

Edit: Nvm not gonna get it. Just gonna stick with what's best for HD800 and not worry about getting an amp for a headphone I don't have regardless of the deal.

Feb 21, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #8,432 of 29,010
I am really interested in everyone's opinion on the EQ I use at the moment with the HD800 (assuming the rest of you gear is neutral). (Foobar2K; Graphic Equalizer component):

**I know every headphone measures a bit differently, but if Sennheiser's QC is good enough, the FR should be close.

Feb 21, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #8,433 of 29,010

What kind of change in the sound are you looking for?  I had quite a few tubes for my WA3 back in the day, including some very nice amperex 7308 pq's and 6922 pq's.  They do definitely impact the sonics (mostly FR), as do various 6as7's, but no tube combo is going to make the WA3 significantly more detailed and dynamic than what you're presently hearing.  It is a great amp for hd650's but a bit too slow, tubey, laid back and lacking in resolution to really show off everything your hd800's can do.  (As I have noted a time or two before in this thread, I found my bh crack to be far better with hd800's than my WA3, and many in the crack thread have echoed that sentiment even as to the WA2 - which makes perfect sense if you understand the circuits, the impact of constant current, and the ease of dropping nice film output caps in the crack.)  Unless you are just looking to tweak FR a bit, I would encourage you towards an amp upgrade, but I have yet to hear the M-Stage and can't weigh in there.    

I don't know, I'm just getting 'bored' of my WA3 already... Speaking of which, did you say 6AS7? I can put 6AS7 on WA3? (they are power tubes, right?) Didn't know that lol

Edit: nvm me, I confused '6AS7' for '6SN7'

Feb 21, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #8,434 of 29,010
That looks fine. It needs a bass boost and a treble cut. Now there are other methods of using eq . Meaning different programs. .
but most important it should sound good to you.

Al

Feb 21, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #8,435 of 29,010
I use the one in Foobar2K because this is the only program I listen to music with, and when I don't listen to music I use the PortaPro which would sound awful if I would use the EQ for the entire system (APO parametric equalizer etc').

Feb 21, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #8,436 of 29,010
I have WA2/HD800 and i have no problem with bass or treble. I can only imagine what the DNA Stratus is gonna sound like. 

Feb 21, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #8,437 of 29,010
I have the stratus and the WA22 with tube upgrades The stratus is good but no better than the woo. It is clear and not a tuby sound.
It has A very good sound quality. The stratus also has very good tubes. As well. But in my opinion the HDVD800 amp wise has better details and imaging .

Al

Feb 21, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #8,438 of 29,010
I have the stratus and the WA22 with tube upgrades The stratus is good but no better than the woo. It is clear and not a tuby sound.
It has A very good sound quality. The stratus also has very good tubes. As well. But in my opinion the HDVD800 amp wise has better details and imaging .

Al

What do you think about the HDVD800 single ended output?

Feb 21, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #8,439 of 29,010
You know someone else asked me that same question. And I did not test this. I will be at my office in the morning and I will. Test the hdvd800 both ways. I cannot remember if I ever tried it SE.

AL

Feb 21, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #8,440 of 29,010
Fraid I've got no cure to offer for simple boredom 62ohm!  Your best bet might be a $10 investment in a spotify subscription for a month where you can find yourself a bunch of new music rather than new gear. 

Al - I'd be interested in your comparison of the trs and xlr outputs from the hdvd800 as well.  I recently read a pretty interesting argument/debate on amb's site that arose out of commentary made by a benchmark engineer on why single ended amps are arguably superior to "balanced" designs.  (As a preliminary matter, its worth noting that "balanced" amps are better described as bridged or differential/push-pull amps, depending on their topology and that the term balanced really just relates to cable designs.)  In any event, if you agree with the engineer from benchmark, building a "balanced" headphone amp is actually a mistake in that it raises output impedance, lowers damping by 50%, and doubles noise and distortion, while doubling the component cost of the product.  He posits that the benefits of common noise rejection and improved slew rate are of negligible benefit as compared to the downsides.  See the first and last pages of this thread for a pretty lively exchange on the topic: http://www.amb.org/forum/benchmark-engineer-on-balanced-v-unbalanced-headphone-amps-t326-30.html

Feb 21, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #8,441 of 29,010

Al

really? I have heard people say the opposite. I heard the HDVD800 twice and was not impressed - preferred my WA2. I would of expected the Stratus to be a much better pairing than the 22

Feb 21, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #8,442 of 29,010
Is your DNA stratus a new amp - its not listed in your profile. 

As a matter of interest - what is your fav hd800 amp? 

Feb 21, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #8,444 of 29,010
Really. Really. I am to old to lie , do you want a picture. It is a fellow headfiers

Al

Feb 21, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #8,445 of 29,010
Most Stratus/HD800 owners say it's the best they've heard the Senns. Heck even the WA5LE isn't even in my top five amps for the HD800-even though it was by far the most expensive.

-Daniel

What's your top five amps for HD800?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back