The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Feb 15, 2014 at 9:35 AM Post #8,206 of 29,013
Here's an update on how I'm driving my HD800's these days. 

The Dark Tower of Power!
biggrin.gif

Feb 15, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #8,207 of 29,013
  Lookin good bro! 

How you finding the Vali? 

It seems to sound very good but I hadn't enough time of listening to give you a serious feedback.  I use this mode to compare the two rig :

/= coax ==> REGA DAC ==> MG HEAD ===\
                                                                  /                                                               \
      PC (UBUNTU)  === Poppulse USB>SPIDF <                                                                   > FIIO HS2 switcher ===>> HD800
                                                                  \                                                                /
                                                                   \= toslink ====> NFB12.1 ===> VALI === / 

I egalize volumes ( with my ears) and I'm listening to music while switching between the two rig.  I will dot this a few weeks. 

The first and only point I can confim now it that both combos sound very good to my ears and very very very close. I think I couldn't distinguish them in a blind text and I really can't tell you differences right now. I've tested NFB12.1 Headphone output and it was very very good too, very close to REGA MG Head combo but it seems i noticed a bit more differences although I'm doubtful about the fact i would recognize  each amp/dac in a blind test .... very very informative experience. 

The main point is I know NFB12 + Vali combo is very well appreciated here ( Thks Bourneperfect for advices
beerchug.gif
) for HD800 so I can consider i was not wrong when I've composed my own rig . The second point is that having a good combo for HD800 definitely doesn't need as much money.  I would be very interested to do the same experience with a Hi End rig . I hope to try a EC Super 7 + Auralic DAC in April for example. 

Feb 15, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #8,208 of 29,013
I want to store these and my Audeze LCD XCs on my shelf, but I'm worried that some headphone guy will gain access to my apartment and steal them. I hate having small and expensive things in the open sigh.

Feb 15, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #8,209 of 29,013
Tried the Western Electric 421A  with the Crack today. Just WOW, this is the best sound from the Crack yet, beats the GEC 6AS7G IMHO. Using it with HD 800, The sound is more meaty, mids are more "full" & retains the top end extension & clarity of the GEC. IMHO Its like the best qualities of TS 5998 & GEC 6AS7G combined together

Feb 15, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #8,210 of 29,013

It seems to sound very good but I hadn't enough time of listening to give you a serious feedback.  I use this mode to compare the two rig :

/= coax ==> REGA DAC ==> MG HEAD ===\
                                                                  /                                                               \
      PC (UBUNTU)  === Poppulse USB>SPIDF <                                                                   > FIIO HS2 switcher ===>> HD800
                                                                  \                                                                /
                                                                   \= toslink ====> NFB12.1 ===> VALI === / 

I egalize volumes ( with my ears) and I'm listening to music while switching between the two rig.  I will dot this a few weeks. 

The first and only point I can confim now it that both combos sound very good to my ears and very very very close. I think I couldn't distinguish them in a blind text and I really can't tell you differences right now. I've tested NFB12.1 Headphone output and it was very very good too, very close to REGA MG Head combo but it seems i noticed a bit more differences although I'm doubtful about the fact i would recognize  each amp/dac in a blind test .... very very informative experience. 

Hi,
may I ask you if you bought the fiio hs2 recently and if it was online, where did you get it?
Because I'm very interested in making my own a/b comparison tests using a similar device but it seems that the fiio hs2 has been discontinued.
Thanks in advance.
(I hope I'm not polluting this thread.)
my current thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/705169/how-do-you-compare-2-headphone-amps

Feb 15, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #8,211 of 29,013
@mragoo Sorry, I'm afraid I bought the last one on ebay ... 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back