The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Nov 30, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #6,736 of 29,013
Hi all,

I have a question related to the durability of the HD800. I am a new owner, less than a week, and quite obsessive/compulsive, specially with relatively expensive items. Would you consider the HD800 to be durable? Does it resist normal use, or should be use with super extra care? What is driving me a little crazy is the cable connection, which is a little loose. Does this connection is durable, despite being loose? Does it resist a accidental drag? Have you got problems with the general construction quality of the headphones?

Many thanks for your answers,

Daniel

Nov 30, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #6,737 of 29,013
  Hi all,

I have a question related to the durability of the HD800. I am a new owner, less than a week, and quite obsessive/compulsive, specially with relatively expensive items. Would you consider the HD800 to be durable? Does it resist normal use, or should be use with super extra care? What is driving me a little crazy is the cable connection, which is a little loose. Does this connection is durable, despite being loose? Does it resist a accidental drag? Have you got problems with the general construction quality of the headphones?

Many thanks for your answers,

Daniel

Hi Daniel, you're not the only obsessive/compulsive one around here :) It comes with the territory haha. If the cables connection is a little loose but doesn't make any noise than that is perfectly normal. A lot of peeps only remove the cable if they upgrade it, so there may not be that many that know if theirs are loose or not. 
The HD800's are one of the most durable hp's out there. They are built to last. For the 5 years that they have been around, the amount of things that have gone wrong with them that has been documented must be less than 0.00001 %. The silver paint will flake over time. This can't be helped, but its is very minimal and can be covered again with a silver cover up pen. The drivers are the toughest moving coil drivers in production at the moment and can only be blown by using enough power to cause deafness not only to you but your whole family from the sound leakage. You have steel covering the drivers and a tough metal housing. Just treat them like you would treat a lover. And that lover will stay with you for ever in good shape. 

(When I say treat them like a lover, doesn't mean you should coat them in baby oil and drip hot wax on their torso whilst hanging them from the roof with nipple clamps... Just saying)   

Nov 30, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #6,738 of 29,013
  Hi Daniel, you're not the only obsessive/compulsive one around here :) It comes with the territory haha. If the cables connection is a little loose but doesn't make any noise than that is perfectly normal. A lot of peeps only remove the cable if they upgrade it, so there may not be that many that know if theirs are loose or not.
The HD800's are one of the most durable hp's out there. They are built to last. For the 5 years that they have been around, the amount of things that have gone wrong with them that has been documented must be less than 0.00001 %. The silver paint will flake over time. This can't be helped, but its is very minimal and can be covered again with a silver cover up pen. The drivers are the toughest moving coil drivers in production at the moment and can only be blown by using enough power to cause deafness not only to you but your whole family from the sound leakage. You have steel covering the drivers and a tough metal housing. Just treat them like you would treat a lover. And that lover will stay with you for ever in good shape.

(When I say treat them like a lover, doesn't mean you should coat them in baby oil and drip hot wax on their torso whilst hanging them from the roof with nipple clamps... Just saying)  

Many thanks for your answer LugBug1,

The pair I got has been in exhibition in the store, so even if I have not remove the cable ever, probably they did. The connection is loose, if you move the cable, the sound does not get affected at all, so the electrical connection is perfectly fine. And it is just comforting to read they are durable enough, and that I am not the only obsessive/compulsive in Head-Fi xD

Thanks again,

Daniel

Nov 30, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #6,739 of 29,013
Thinking of trading my LCD-3 for a used HD800+ cash.  Can't handle the fit issues I have with the Audezes anymore.  Would like to know if anyone has experience with the Burson Conductor SL and the HD800.  If so, thoughts?

Nov 30, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #6,740 of 29,013
"Vinyl and HD800 were made to go together"

I could not agree more!!!!

Nov 30, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #6,741 of 29,013
As for durability,I have serial 854 and they still sound amazing despite a few tiny chips here and there.But this is a headphone for me and not an investment.For me things must look used at some stage.

Nov 30, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #6,742 of 29,013

I could not agree more!!!!

Nov 30, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #6,743 of 29,013
could not agree more

Nov 30, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #6,745 of 29,013
30+ hours on hd800, listening to Van Morrison - Moondance........... 
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
, no harshness left at all now. So smooth with WA2. Im afraid they are leaving the T1's for dead. I think they just suit my musical tastes a lot more. 

I listened to Pet Sounds the whole way through for the first time today, man what an album. Why did i never give that album a chance? An old record, i thought there might be some treble spikes and brightness. No such thing. Pure butter. I am really enjoying myself the past few days 
biggrin.gif

What a headphone. 

Nov 30, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #6,748 of 29,013
  30+ hours on hd800, listening to Van Morrison - Moondance........... 
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
, no harshness left at all now. 

Mine are at 188 hours, somehow sounding better all the time.  I believe they really started to sound otherworldly around 100+ hours.  

Recently got the re-master-special-edition-super-duper-quad-disc Moondance from HDTracks and while it contains a few duds, it sounds awesome and some of the unreleased versions are amazing.  For contemporary magic I strongly recommend Galactic: 

Nov 30, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #6,749 of 29,013
  u need GEC 6AS7G and bugle boys....

Mine are at 188 hours, somehow sounding better all the time.  I believe they really started to sound otherworldly around 100+ hours.  

Recently got the re-master-special-edition-super-duper-quad-disc Moondance from HDTracks and while it contains a few duds, it sounds awesome and some of the unreleased versions are amazing.  For contemporary magic I strongly recommend Galactic: 

thanks for posting, i will be sure to check it out. 

Just back from the pub. Full of Guinness! Feeling great. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back