The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Oct 12, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #5,926 of 28,989
Oct 12, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #5,927 of 28,989
I've always preferred the HD800s bass as well-but I can't complain about either honestly. The Senn's seem to extend lower and have more texture-the T1's bass a little fuller/rounder. They're both quite nice though...

-Daniel

+1 I prefer bass from hd800 too. Your description of both bass match exactly mine. T1 bass is a little more 'fun'er, punchier type.

Oct 13, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #5,928 of 28,989
I prefer t1 bass but i also like hd 800 bass which can have more slam but less punch

Oct 13, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #5,930 of 28,989
  hey DG, did you ever post up your gs-x and/or wa22 reviews? very interested in reading them lol.

wasn't really a review per se

just a bunch of comments on the woo audio thread, and amongst other threads.

mostly the WA22 is warmer and lusher, its quite tubey in the fact that it focuses on the midrange alot more than the GS-X or most amps. the soundstage is huge, better than GS-X and seems to have more space, 3d with the right tubes. 

however, GS-X mk2 is basically better in every way, i do not find it brighter, or more fatiguing, or thinner in any way. but its musical, neutral, transparent, and works with everything i throw at it. the background is black on GSX MK2 whereas depending on the tubes, it can go from almost black to a grey background on the WA22.  the WA22 just has a better soundstage and is better for someone who wants tube sound. performance-wise, the WA22 is definitely end-game. having almost no grain, great detail, and great dynamics as well as a beautiful tube midrange. 

one downside with WA22 is that with some headphones, like my T1, i notice a slightly lighter bass, cause the midrange is more forward, its not as noticeable on other headphones like HD 800. the bass is textured and deep though, which is good, depending on tubes of course.

the GS-X has the best bass i've ever heard, its neutral, but not light, cause it has plenty of control, punch, slam, and authority, the bass is so clean and extended, its amazing really.

Oct 13, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #5,931 of 28,989

mostly the WA22 is warmer and lusher, its quite tubey in the fact that it focuses on the midrange alot more than the GS-X or most amps. the soundstage is huge, better than GS-X and seems to have more space, 3d with the right tubes. 

however, GS-X mk2 is basically better in every way, i do not find it brighter, or more fatiguing, or thinner in any way. but its musical, neutral, transparent, and works with everything i throw at it. the background is black on GSX MK2 whereas depending on the tubes, it can go from almost black to a grey background on the WA22.  the WA22 just has a better soundstage and is better for someone who wants tube sound. performance-wise, the WA22 is definitely end-game. having almost no grain, great detail, and great dynamics as well as a beautiful tube midrange. 

one downside with WA22 is that with some headphones, like my T1, i notice a slightly lighter bass, cause the midrange is more forward, its not as noticeable on other headphones like HD 800. the bass is textured and deep though, which is good, depending on tubes of course.

the GS-X has the best bass i've ever heard, its neutral, but not light, cause it has plenty of control, punch, slam, and authority, the bass is so clean and extended, its amazing really.

Interesting finding about the T1 + WA22. That issue sounds like the WA22 could use some additional capacitance to handle the T1's ~1400 ohm load in the bass department. Talk to Mr. Woo and see what he thinks about this. There's no such thing as too much capacitance either 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 13, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #5,932 of 28,989
  Interesting finding about the T1 + WA22. That issue sounds like the WA22 could use some additional capacitance to handle the T1's ~1400 ohm load in the bass department. Talk to Mr. Woo and see what he thinks about this. There's no such thing as too much capacitance either 
smily_headphones1.gif

yeah thats what i think as well, only the GS-X and WA2 seem to get it right.

the WA22 seemed just as good, if not better than the WA2 with the HD 800, but the T1 seems to work better with the WA2, it just seems to have better control of the T1's drivers. also, the WA2 sounds best with T1 and the more powerful tung sol 5998, those really bring the bass out.

Oct 13, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #5,933 of 28,989

the WA22 seemed just as good, if not better than the WA2 with the HD 800, but the T1 seems to work better with the WA2, it just seems to have better control of the T1's drivers. also, the WA2 sounds best with T1 and the more powerful tung sol 5998, those really bring the bass out.

Yeah the T1 + OTL combo is where it's at for sure, but at the price of the WA22 i would expect it to handle the T1 better IMHO.

Oct 13, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #5,934 of 28,989

Is HD800 your fav pairing with the GSX? I think the last time you were enjoying LCD3 and HE6.

Oct 13, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #5,935 of 28,989

Wow that's interesting that the wa2 handles the t1 so well even compared to the wa22. Are you going to get the wa2 back then? Seems like you are going tubeless for a while lol. No plans to sell the gsx I assume, only the wa22?

Interesting that the wa22 has bigger soundstage than the gsx, must be an improvement over the wa2 then as I didn't feel that SS was anything exceptional on the wa2. Or maybe I just don't have the right power tubes.

So what would you say your fav pairings are for each of your cans, taking all amps you've owned into consideration? Thanks for the impressions btw, oh and are these done on balanced headphones?

Oct 13, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #5,936 of 28,989
Wow that's interesting that the wa2 handles the t1 so well even compared to the wa22. Are you going to get the wa2 back then? Seems like you are going tubeless for a while lol. No plans to sell the gsx I assume, only the wa22?

Interesting that the wa22 has bigger soundstage than the gsx, must be an improvement over the wa2 then as I didn't feel that SS was anything exceptional on the wa2. Or maybe I just don't have the right power tubes.

So what would you say your fav pairings are for each of your cans, taking all amps you've owned into consideration? Thanks for the impressions btw, oh and are these done on balanced headphones?

A bit of a generalization here, but typically tube amps do two things better than SS amps: That is soundstage and dynamics. I can concur that my LG has better dynamics and a wider soundstage with the HD800. 

Oct 13, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #5,938 of 28,989
  Can someone please tell me how much better is hd800 than t1 for soundstage? is it to "unnormal"

A lot better as in soundstage size. Not all genres necessarily benefit that, but since the HD800s are way better headphones for not too much more, there you go.

Oct 13, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #5,939 of 28,989

A lot better as in soundstage size. Not all genres necessarily benefit that, but since the HD800s are way better headphones for not too much more, there you go.

Just noticed in your sig you have some front loaded horns! I have some back loaded horns, don't really have the space otherwise. Have any pics uploaded somewhere by chance?
popcorn.gif

Oct 13, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #5,940 of 28,989

Users who are viewing this thread

Back