The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Oct 9, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #5,881 of 28,989

Welcome aboard! . I'm very interested to hear you impressions over the long term about HD800/Meier Concerto Synergy ! 

To begin with I used the Concerto with my Beyer T1's and I loved the synergy there. I have kept the Concerto because I knew that I would either get a T1 or HD800 again. At the moment I just think it sounds great. I am sure the Concerto has the potential to drive the HD800 to its full potential. I think it is only a matter of liking the signature or not. It is very neutral with the Concerto. I hear a lot of details and that amazing soundstage. So far I am not planning to find another amplifier but in the long run you never know.

I have earlier had a few tube-amps and I have a feeling that at some point tubes may be something I should try. I have preferred analytical and bright sounding headphones/amplifiers but with the HD800 I might try a good tube amp in the future.

Oct 9, 2013 at 3:00 AM Post #5,882 of 28,989

Welcome aboard! . I'm very interested to hear you impressions over the long term about HD800/Meier Concerto Synergy ! 

To begin with I used the Concerto with my Beyer T1's and I loved the synergy there. I have kept the Concerto because I knew that I would either get a T1 or HD800 again. At the moment I just think it sounds great. I am sure the Concerto has the potential to drive the HD800 to its full potential. I think it is only a matter of liking the signature or not. It is very neutral with the Concerto. I hear a lot of details and that amazing soundstage. So far I am not planning to find another amplifier but in the long run you never know.

I have earlier had a few tube-amps and I have a feeling that at some point tubes may be something I should try. I have preferred analytical and bright sounding headphones/amplifiers but with the HD800 I might try a good tube amp in the future.
In that case, you might want to try the A18 amp from Yulong audio.

Oct 9, 2013 at 4:13 AM Post #5,883 of 28,989
I have been listening to my HD800 in the last couple of days, which is re cabled with a solid core silver/gold cable on the recently acquired Cavalli LAu.

The Lau has about 150 hours but is still burning in so I will be brief:- 

Smooth, balanced, coherent and having a more dense sounding presentation. Where images used to be etched out, now, there is more interplay......basically sounds like a different headphone, but still maintains the soundstaging qualities but is just so much more refined sounding and if I may say so, rather musical.....

I will post more thoughts as I gather them, and will compare with my other Headphone. 

Oct 9, 2013 at 7:35 AM Post #5,884 of 28,989
  I have been listening to my HD800 in the last couple of days, which is re cabled with a solid core silver/gold cable on the recently acquired Cavalli LAu.

The Lau has about 150 hours but is still burning in so I will be brief:- 

Smooth, balanced, coherent and having a more dense sounding presentation. Where images used to be etched out, now, there is more interplay......basically sounds like a different headphone, but still maintains the soundstaging qualities but is just so much more refined sounding and if I may say so, rather musical.....

I will post more thoughts as I gather them, and will compare with my other Headphone. 

Sorry if you have been asked this already, what brand is the silver/gold cable for your HD800's?

Oct 9, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #5,885 of 28,989
Ive had my HD800 for about 2 months now and I think I like the LCD headphones a lot better. Are tube amps really that good on the HD800?

I get the feeling that Ive made a purchase with these headphones without considering just how much more I actually have to spend to listen to them properly. The prices on a headphone amplifier, a dac, as well as all the other things gives me a sick feeling in the gut.

Oct 9, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #5,888 of 28,989
In that case, you might want to try the A18 amp from Yulong audio.

Are there any other amplifiers like the A18 that sound similar to tubes?
To be honest, I havent owned too many amps for long periods of time, ill usually move on to the next amp within 2-3 weeks If I dont like it. But I love the A18 with the HD800, It really is a wonderful pairing--its probably the closest thing to tube amp in terms of sonics from a solid state design (I could be wrong, there might be another amp thats closer?). The soundstage from the A18 is quite special as well.

Oct 9, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #5,890 of 28,989

B22, M-Stage, Bakoon to name a few
I forgot about the M-Stage. Ive never heard the M-stage but Ive had more than 1 person praise its synergy with the HD800.

If you decide that youd like to go with a balanced option, I believe the the maker of M-stage also has a balanced version, the Matrix Quattro. The Quattro is also twice as powerful If Im not mistaken.

If you are interested in the A18, I recommend you read the review done by 'Project86". A small comparison of the Matrix and A18 is included.

Oct 9, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #5,893 of 28,989
Oct 9, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #5,894 of 28,989

Luxman P1-u..unbeliable sinergy with the HD800

That's the one amp I've always wanted to hear with the HD800.

....This week....
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back