The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Sep 4, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #5,326 of 29,013
  Looking forward to this comparison. My $ is on the WA5-LE. 
smile.gif

For the $3500+ price point with the tubepackage upgrade-I'd hope so. :wink: Have you heard the HD800 on it Peter? What were your impressions?

i don't have time to keep it lol, some1 wants to buy it and just for the HD 800, being almost extra

and your description of the zana sounds just like what i would say about the Beyerdynamic T1 and the WA2.

but umm, no, i do notice its slightly better, but its sooo small, such a tiny tiny difference, i can't really say its better, or that i'm 100% sure i actually hear it. then again. mostly seems like the midrange is more forward maybe a little more plapable and separated, the WA2 slightly more laid back, but its such a small difference, i don't think its worth it. its basically identical, i can't really even say they sound different, and i've never had this happen to me, i always hear a difference. its so small, i can't justify it, at least not now, if i was rich, i'd probably just keep the Zana for the hell of it, it looks like a really cool amp too.

if i had a stock or even a 5998'd WA2, i wouldn't think twice about it, the WA2 would be boxed up, and sold right now. it would be no match, thats how much of an improvement the GEC tubes are with HD 800. its HUGE!!!!!

and i do think very highly of the zana now. lemme tell you, i HATED balancing act, it was very bright with HD 800, sounded too analytical, and was bland with TH-900. i heard more clarity and neutrality, but i didn't like it. i don't know if it was the stock tubes, but it really didn't wow me. i was expecting this when i heard zana, some very crystal clear sound thats bright and fast. and i was shocked to hear warmth, euphonic midrange, and such beautiful tube sound, the same sound i have with WA2/GEC, that was really surprising. and i haven't said it yet, but the HD 800/WA2 is the best i've heard so far, i don't really use my HE-500, TH-900, or even the LCD-3, i just switch between HD 800 and T1 cause the HD 800 especially sounds so good with the WA2, such perfect tonality and transparency, the smoothness, it just is so close to being perfect. and to have the ZD do that, shows thats its really good. right out of the box, its as good as a WA2 with rare and expensive tubes.

Glad your 15 minute impressions are holding strong. :)

No actually-I intend to listen to it for an hour-claim to know everything about it's nuances-and sell it the following day. Takers?

-Daniel

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #5,329 of 29,013
Unfortunately no-I sold the Eximus to help fund an uber dac later this year. I'll be using the V800 with the Woo. I am extremely familiar with the DP-1 sound though-having listened to it for hundreds of hours over more than a year-mostly with the ZDSE.I'm still coming to grips with the V800 now-and I can already tell that it shares some nice qualities I preferred onthe DP-1, while perhaps being better in other areas. I've tried/owned enough dacs in the 1k-3k range to know that there aren't huge differences between them. In fact the most unique was the Eximus, mainly for it's uncanny 3D like presentation, and musicality. The v800 also tends to walk the line of being technically competent, but pretty musical as well. Both dacs put you very close to the performers, and seem fairly forward sounding. The v800 definitely has the harder hitting bass though...

-Daniel

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #5,332 of 29,013
  now with the TH-900, there was some crazy synergy going on, very good, but i don't think i'll keep it. i'm placing order for GSX MK2 tomorrow for LCD-3/HE-500. keeping the woos for now.

pulling the trigger on the GSX, cant wait to hear impressions. I'm thinking a lot about this amp as well lately. It would be really nice to have tube and SS for the hd800. 

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #5,333 of 29,013
  Unfortunately no-I sold the Eximus to help fund an uber dac later this year. I'll be using the V800 with the Woo. I am extremely familiar with the DP-1 sound though-having listened to it for hundreds of hours over more than a year-mostly with the ZDSE.I'm still coming to grips with the V800 now-and I can already tell that it shares some nice qualities I preferred onthe DP-1, while perhaps being better in other areas. I've tried/owned enough dacs in the 1k-3k range to know that there aren't huge differences between them. In fact the most unique was the Eximus, mainly for it's uncanny 3D like presentation, and musicality. The v800 also tends to walk the line of being technically competent, but pretty musical as well. Both dacs put you very close to the performers, and seem fairly forward sounding. The v800 definitely has the harder hitting bass though...

-Daniel

Interesting to note a few people chasing DACs that I presume works against what I believe the HD800 is best known for - its artificial soundstage. To appreciate the entire width of the stage surely what is generally regarded the best seats in the house are not right in front of the musicians (or the box for that matter mostly due to the angle but I digress). Or perhaps the DAC brings it closer to the musicians yet you can still appreciate the width is what you meant to say? 

Me...I'm chasing a DAC to put me right beside the musicians so it sounds like I'm playing alongside them. Because honestly, that's where I'd rather be....Again though, I digress. 

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #5,334 of 29,013
I will be turning my focus back to Headphones in the coming months and am overhauling my desktop rig. 

At present I am using the MC19 > Hiface 2 > Violectric V800 > V200 and an exorbitant amount on cables...I have had this rig for about a year and I am pretty sure that I have maxed out it's performance potential.

I have a Metrum HEX on the way, and yesterday ordered the last/ a canceled order, Cavalli LAu.

Has anyone had the pleasure of listening to the LAu with the HD800?

Also I am pretty set on my tube amp and have placed an order for an upcoming amp, but if there are other options out there that you guys can recommend for the HD800, I am open to suggestions? 

Many thanks......................

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #5,335 of 29,013
There you go-that's precisely what the Eximus does. Even thought the v800 puts the performance right in front of you-the Eximus seems to put you in the midst of it. Very addicting presentation imo. The M7 seemed to put you a number of rows back-watching the performance on a wide horizontal stage-not really intimate at all imo.

-Daniel

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #5,336 of 29,013
  I will be turning my focus back to Headphones in the coming months and am overhauling my desktop rig.

At present I am using the MC19 > Hiface 2 > Violectric V800 > V200 and an exorbitant amount on cables...I have had this rig for about a year and I am pretty sure that I have maxed out it's performance potential.

I have a Metrum HEX on the way and yesterday ordered the last/ canceled order of the Cavalli LAu.

Also I am pretty set on a tube amp, but if there are other options out there that you guys can recommend for the HD800?

Many thanks....

Budget?
$1k Wa2
$1.5k Super 7
$2k ZDSE
$2.5k Stratus or ECP L-2
$3k WA5-LE
$3-4k EC 2A3x4
Unobtanium: Leviathan

-Daniel

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #5,337 of 29,013

Budget?
$1k Wa2
$1.5k Super 7
$2k ZDSE
$2.5k Stratus or ECP L-2
$3k WA5-LE
$3-4k EC 2A3x4

-Daniel

+1

sounds about right!

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #5,338 of 29,013

Budget?
$1k Wa2
$1.5k Super 7
$2k ZDSE
$2.5k Stratus or ECP L-2
$3k WA5-LE
$3-4k EC 2A3x4

-Daniel

Well I have ordered the Coffman Labs H1-A, it is in the final stages of testing before production, as I love the 3.5mm inputs, since I probably have every hi end DAP available to plug in..........but another tube amp is not gonna hurt
normal_smile .gif

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #5,339 of 29,013

I have a Metrum HEX on the way, and yesterday ordered the last/ a canceled order, Cavalli LAu.

Also I am pretty set on my tube amp and have placed an order for an upcoming amp, but if there are other options out there that you guys can recommend for the HD800, I am open to suggestions? 

Many thanks......................

I've pre-ordered the Decware CSP3+

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #5,340 of 29,013

Interesting to note a few people chasing DACs that I presume works against what I believe the HD800 is best known for - its artificial soundstage. To appreciate the entire width of the stage surely what is generally regarded the best seats in the house are not right in front of the musicians (or the box for that matter mostly due to the angle but I digress). Or perhaps the DAC brings it closer to the musicians yet you can still appreciate the width is what you meant to say? 

Me...I'm chasing a DAC to put me right beside the musicians so it sounds like I'm playing alongside them. Because honestly, that's where I'd rather be....Again though, I digress. 

I think microphone placement and careful use of reverb in the mixing is the best way to guarantee a certain seat in the house. I think switching DAC's (and even headphones) is more like leaning your head a few inches one way or the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back