The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Sep 2, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #5,221 of 29,013
Quote:
Has anyone here run the HD800 off of speaker taps? or off a HiFiman HE-Adapter?

ask frank1 - WA5 speaker out is what he uses i think. 

Sep 2, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #5,222 of 29,013
Has anyone compared the super 7 with ZDSE when driving hd800?
Any advice will be appreciated
biggrin.gif

Sep 2, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #5,223 of 29,013
Yeah so I test drove a Ferrari and it wouldn't screwing drive. It's a piece of crap garbage car, because it won't even go!!@# NEVER get a Ferrari, UGH!
obtw it didn't have wheels cuz it was getting work done at the shop.

Quote:

My Lyr sounds fine with the source I have and even right from an iPod because it colors the sound in its own way. I'm not willing to spend 4000+ on a new amp and source when I already have what I want from my current rig. I'm enjoying it just as much as anyone else here, if not more since I love it enough to keep it just the way it is.

I really don't want to get into this argument with you again. I'm very glad that you enjoy your rig and I'm sorry that I don't like your favorite amp. 
beerchug.gif

Sep 2, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #5,224 of 29,013
Quote:
Yeah so I test drove a Ferrari and it wouldn't screwing drive. It's a piece of crap garbage car, because it won't even go!!@# NEVER get a Ferrari, UGH!
obtw it didn't have wheels cuz it was getting work done at the shop.

ha ha ha

Sep 2, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #5,226 of 29,013
Quote:

The HD800 is too efficient for speaker taps.

hmmm never heard this before. It does not work like this? best to just use normal jack?

Sep 2, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #5,228 of 29,013
Quote:
It would work, but with most amps (I mean intended for speakers), you would have virtually no volume control.

would the WA5 be an exception with the k1000 out? Or is that a different thing all together?

Sep 2, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #5,229 of 29,013
The WA5 has a headphone jack, doesn't it?

EDIT: Oh, I see what you're asking now. I have no personal experience with the WA5 or the K1000 but I see the K1000 is extremely inefficient and the WA5 has a switch to select between speakers, K1000, and high/low impedance headphones.

My answer - I don't know. What I do know is that the HD800 is a very efficient headphone and has very different amplifier requirements than the K1000. Nothing wrong with trying though. Just turn the volume all the way down, plug in the HD800's and carefully see for yourself.

Personally though, I think it's a complete waste of effort. Kind of like putting 100 octane racing fuel in your BMW 328. Yes it will run fine (you might even "believe" it runs better), but it's a complete waste of money with no performance gains to be had.

Sep 2, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #5,230 of 29,013
Quote:

The HD800 is too efficient for speaker taps.

The first time I heard it was speaker tapped to a First Watt. I'm trying to see if it's worth doing it off something like a vintage amp.

Sep 2, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #5,231 of 29,013
Quote:
Has anyone here run the HD800 off of speaker taps? or off a HiFiman HE-Adapter?

I do with my McIntosh MC225. It's a match made in heaven. However, the HE-adaptor is a bottleneck, so I had a custom adaptor made for "proper" impedance matching.

Luckily the NAD M51 has a digital pre-amp, it's wonderful.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Sep 2, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #5,232 of 29,013
Quote:

Yes, the Lyr will play nice with a much weaker source because it isn't transparent of upstream gear in anywhere the same way. So if you're not looking at spending a lot more $ on a new dac/source, then I'd stick with the Lyr. With the GS-X, it's garbage in = garbage out. 
size]

Not commenting on the Lyr + GS-X setup but just wanted to say that even in the same excellent source with the same amp, people would perceive sound differently. One undeniable fact is as we get older, our perception of the higher frequencies diminish. A setup that has a relatively harsh treble might bother the younger listening but not the older one simply because the older person cannot hear as high as the younger person for the harshness to bother him/her.

I did a frequency perception test with my dad (who's not that old, just in his 50s) a couple years ago, and while I could hear up to the 18kHz-19kHz range, his perception cuts off at around 10kHz-12kHz range. This is pure biology and there is nothing we can do about it (apart from cyborg ear implants I guess). So theoretically an audio setup could have a massive 10dB spike at the 15kHz area and he would be perfectly fine with it but I would flip the **** out.

With the HD800 here's one of my conjectures. Personal preference aside, perhaps in general younger people tend to prefer tube or warmer sounds, because the analytical sounds of certain amps can bother their ears with the high frequencies. It's like as we age, our ears' treble rolls off lol. Not sure though. I guess I'll test this out myself since I'm pretty young and just ordered a super neutral and transparent amp.

Now I know that audio recordings don't often go up to 10kHz+ frequency range, but still, the difference is there, and this difference has nothing to do with our personal preference of sound.

Sep 2, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #5,233 of 29,013
Quote:
Not commenting on the Lyr + GS-X setup but just wanted to say that even in the same excellent source with the same amp, people would perceive sound differently. One undeniable fact is as we get older, our perception of the higher frequencies diminish. A setup that has a relatively harsh treble might bother the younger listening but not the older one simply because the older person cannot hear as high as the younger person for the harshness to bother him/her.

I did a frequency perception test with my dad (who's not that old, just in his 50s) a couple years ago, and while I could hear up to the 18kHz-19kHz range, his perception cuts off at around 10kHz-12kHz range. This is pure biology and there is nothing we can do about it (apart from cyborg ear implants I guess). So theoretically an audio setup could have a massive 10dB spike at the 15kHz area and he would be perfectly fine with it but I would flip the **** out.

With the HD800 here's one of my conjectures. Personal preference aside, perhaps in general younger people tend to prefer tube or warmer sounds, because the analytical sounds of certain amps can bother their ears with the high frequencies. It's like as we age, our ears' treble rolls off lol. Not sure though. I guess I'll test this out myself since I'm pretty young and just ordered a super neutral and transparent amp.

Now I know that audio recordings don't often go up to 10kHz+ frequency range, but still, the difference is there, and this difference has nothing to do with our personal preference of sound.

That makes a lot of sense. I'm one of those that doesn't hear the 6k peak... And I'm only 42 
size]

I'm also a big fan of the original K701's.... Ouch! 

Bad treble still bothers me though, and I do need to equalize the AKG's a little. But I find the HD800's top end - just right. 

Sep 2, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #5,234 of 29,013
Quote:

It isn't that simple.

I personally can't hear above 12 kHz, but the nature of my hearing loss makes me sensitive to certain frequencies below that. Lower treble sounds which might be innocuous to you can actually cause me great discomfort and/or pain.

Sep 2, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #5,235 of 29,013
Quote:
The first time I heard it was speaker tapped to a First Watt. I'm trying to see if it's worth doing it off something like a vintage amp.

Ive never seen a First Watt, but I'm assuming it required a pre-amp too.

And as dleblanc343 mentioned, having a pre-amp (or DAC) with adjustable output in front of your amp (or vintage receiver) could allow you to get sufficient volume travel on your amp. I do this with my BH Crack...

But I'll say it again. In my opinion, powering the HD800 with a speaker amp is like running racing fuel in street car. It's pointless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back