The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Aug 25, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #4,982 of 29,013
I have them both and the answer is No.  They have more of an HD650 signature (dark) but without the detail and soundstage.  Given that, they are a fun portable headphone and I do use them of travelling and falling asleep to. I've tried a bunch of other portable headphones such as the vModa's and HD-25II and these are my favourite by far.
Quote:
I know this probably a long shot but does the Sennheiser Momentum have any resemblance sonically to the HD800?

Aug 25, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #4,983 of 29,013
no, they're a good headphone, but the momentum are nothing like HD 800. 

Aug 25, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #4,984 of 29,013
I prefer the HD800's for metal/rock with slight eq to the LCD-2's because of its faster sound, is that weird?

Aug 25, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #4,985 of 29,013
Not weird at all. When I owned both side by side, I had trouble finding any genre in which the LCD-2 could even compete.

Aug 25, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #4,986 of 29,013
And is it weird to think the HD800's have plenty of bass with R&B and such?

Aug 25, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #4,990 of 29,013
Owning the HD800 and LCD 2.2 side by side on the Bryston-the LCD doesn't beat the Senn in any area imo, not even bass quantity or impact. Keep in mind this may be THE amp to beat for the Audeze, but the Senn will continue to scale above and beyond this.

*needs to give BHA-1 impressions soon*

-DAniel

Aug 25, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #4,991 of 29,013
Quote:
I will add on a bit more based on what I know from reading reviews all over on the 2 amps, GS-X and DNA Stratus:
Aesthetically, I thought GS-X is so beautifully built which was probably one of the main reasons which attracted me to it. The Stratus, on the other hand, really requires an acquired taste to appreciate it fully.

Both are very versatile which work well with many headphones, but i will say GS-X has an edge over the Stratus, as it seems to work very well even with the most sensitive iem. I will really love to hear to my Westone ES5 from GS-X. In addition, to work with both HD800 and LCD-3, it is reported to require some tubes rolling on the Stratus to bring out the best of each hp, and that will definitely add cost to the amp.

If you look through the thread of each amp, you will notice that while the Stratus thread is only two-third of GS-X thread, I bet the information you can find on the Stratus is at least 3 times more than what you can find out about GS-X on its thread. People seems to go to the thread and prefer to discuss on other things. You basically can summarize the GS-X thread on the use of HD800 in a few lines, "it is a wire with gain", "highly transparent" and " it extends both side of the spectrum very well". I didn't like what I heard when I was pairing an pretty capable solid state amp audio-gd Master 8 with HD800, so when I read through the thread, it really did not give me much confidence that the sound of Hd800 out of GS-X will be what I like. HD800 is not a perfect headphone, so when I read people saying the best thing about GS-X is that it gets out of way and disappears, it did not sound good to me at all. On the other hand, the stratus thread provides so much descriptions and details on how the amp sounds and improves HD800. I have read through that thread 3 times and it never bores or frustrates me.

One thing I also noticed is that it seems to me like the primary aim of the Stratus is to pair well with HD800 and many owners of Stratus also seem to have that in mind, building their set-up around HD800. On the other hand, at least for the more vocal owners of GS-X, as good as they claim how HD800 sounds on GS-X, it appears to me that quite a number of them actually prefer other headphones set-up.

At the risk of wallet injury, how would you compare Master 8 to GSX mkii?

Aug 25, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #4,992 of 29,013
Quote:

At the risk of wallet injury, how would you compare Master 8 to GSX mkii?

I have never heard GS-X before. Sadly, I have not found anyone on head-fi who have heard both either. It is pretty tough to make a decision on these amps when you have no access to hear them.

Aug 25, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #4,993 of 29,013
Quote:
Owning the HD800 and LCD 2.2 side by side on the Bryston-the LCD doesn't beat the Senn in any area imo, not even bass quantity or impact. Keep in mind this may be THE amp to beat for the Audeze, but the Senn will continue to scale above and beyond this.

*needs to give BHA-1 impressions soon*

-DAniel

wow that is quite surprising to hear. i've been considering grabbing a pair of LCD2.2s to complement my hd800 in the bass department for some genres that I listen to. this makes me question that desire lol

Aug 25, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #4,994 of 29,013
Quote:
wow that is quite surprising to hear. i've been considering grabbing a pair of LCD2.2s to complement my hd800 in the bass department for some genres that I listen to. this makes me question that desire lol

Fostex TH-900 is what you're looking for, much better than the LCD-2 too.

Aug 26, 2013 at 12:57 AM Post #4,995 of 29,013
Quote:

Comes down to the entire rig. But on the BHA-1 with the same source-they seem almost identical in the bass-except the HD800 definitely best the Audeze in texture of the bass.

Agreed with Brunk-the TH900 definitely has more bass than eith-although I still preferred the Senns bass as it was less boomy, and never overbearing like the Fostex can be at times imo.

-Daniel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back