The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Aug 18, 2013 at 4:29 AM Post #4,876 of 29,013
IMO the HD800 wa one of only a couple of headphones that didn't change much with burn in. It did seem like the treble harshness calmed down a bit over the first day or two-but over all they were pretty stable from day one-on a 3 of my new pairs.

-Daniel

Aug 18, 2013 at 4:32 AM Post #4,877 of 29,013
An couple of hours ought to do the trick. I've compared my "burnt in" HD800s (at least 200h) to a dealer pair 2 hours out of the box...and I couldn't tell the difference in a test-type-that-shalt-not-be-named. This was with a megabucks DAC and a professional amp with two outputs, which both, if I may add, sounded far more neutral than my Pan Am. <-Go figure.

Aug 18, 2013 at 4:39 AM Post #4,878 of 29,013
Quote:
IMO the HD800 wa one of only a couple of headphones that didn't change much with burn in. It did seem like the treble harshness calmed down a bit over the first day or two-but over all they were pretty stable from day one-on a 3 of my new pairs.

-Daniel

Thanks and wow! You have 3 HD800s?????

Quote:
An couple of hours ought to do the trick. I've compared my "burnt in" HD800s (at least 200h) to a dealer pair 2 hours out of the box...and I couldn't tell the difference in a test-type-that-shalt-not-be-named. This was with a megabucks DAC and a professional amp with two outputs, which both, if I may add, sounded far more neutral than my Pan Am. <-Go figure.

I am on my third day (non-stop) burn in. I just leave the headphones playing tracks throughout the last 3 days.  

So the ALO portable-cum-desktop colors the HD800 more?

Aug 18, 2013 at 4:48 AM Post #4,879 of 29,013
Bought a new one three different times lol-just own one now. Learned the hard way what many here have (and many more have not): it takes some work to get these cans to truly shine. They scale so incredibly well that I doubt anyone here has truly heard their ceiling yet. My .02.

-Daniel

Aug 18, 2013 at 5:02 AM Post #4,880 of 29,013
Of course the Pan Am is more colored than an amplifier designed for completely linear output :)

I don't really see the point in leaving your headphones on for three days...
If you have a tube amp, that's definitely not a wise use of its precious time.

Aug 18, 2013 at 5:05 AM Post #4,881 of 29,013
For the more open minded folks, this article makes for great reading.

http://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/speaker-break-in-fact-or-fiction

Aug 18, 2013 at 5:09 AM Post #4,882 of 29,013
Quote:
Of course the Pan Am is more colored than an amplifier designed for completely linear output
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't really see the point in leaving your headphones on for three days...
If you have a tube amp, that's definitely not a wise use of its precious time.

Thanks.  Pulling the plug now.  
dt880smile.png

Aug 18, 2013 at 5:20 AM Post #4,883 of 29,013
Same here, didn't hear much change with burn in at all with the HD800's. I do believe in burn in and have heard other phones change over time. 

Aug 18, 2013 at 5:24 AM Post #4,884 of 29,013
Quote:
Same here, didn't hear much change with burn in at all with the HD800's. I do believe in burn in and have heard other phones change over time. 

My T1 did.  HD800 sounded thin out of the box.  But now, it sounds fuller.  I stayed away from auditioning it while being burned in to avoid that placebo or psychosomatic effect.  It does sound more forward than when I first listened to it out of the box 3 days ago.

But you're right.  I am enjoying the headphones now rather allowing it to play all by itself.

Aug 18, 2013 at 6:52 AM Post #4,885 of 29,013
Quote:
My T1 did.  HD800 sounded thin out of the box.  But now, it sounds fuller.  I stayed away from auditioning it while being burned in to avoid that placebo or psychosomatic effect.  It does sound more forward than when I first listened to it out of the box 3 days ago.

But you're right.  I am enjoying the headphones now rather allowing it to play all by itself.

I guess that's the thing, whether the drivers actually change, or whether your ears adjust, the net result is the same.

Aug 18, 2013 at 7:38 AM Post #4,887 of 29,013

So the ALO portable-cum-desktop colors the HD800 more?

It's a great dac/amp- it's hard to say what the difference between this and any other dac/amp is- it's maybe a smoother sound, there is a high and low gain but the hd800s go loud enough on low gain and that sounds less harsh to me. There are lots of other good bits of kit around , this is a good choice for those that want a portable dac headphone amp that looks nice and sounds good and runs anything without straining, trev

Aug 18, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #4,889 of 29,013
Quote:
Quote:
Indeed, they are. Unfortunately, I haven't been listening to my turntable rig as often as I'd like due to the limited technical ability of my current setup--hence my desire to upgrade.

Just so we can all pour our hard-earned cash into more audio equipment... I've been looking for a good turntable. Any recommendations?

Hmmmmm....

[size=xx-large][/size] ?
Just wondering.....

Aug 18, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #4,890 of 29,013
I think I get the joke (it's about cost of turntables???) 
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back