The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
May 31, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #3,001 of 29,010
The HD800 is the only phone I have that can reproduce the growl of a piano when the bass notes are being played.

I have stood behind a few people playing a piano and always loved the way a piano can do that.

May 31, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #3,002 of 29,010
Double bass.... Tight and earthy, no bloom. But deep as need be.  

Jun 1, 2013 at 7:44 AM Post #3,003 of 29,010
Hello all, First post here I been doing a lot of reading and, I bought a few items here.
now i need some help deciding on what to buy for my HD800/Grados V4 etc.

I listen to my music pretty much on my computer or on the go. so this will be for the computer.

I got all my music in Apple Los less and also converted all my music using Foobar 2000 to FLAC,
http://www.head-fi.org/t/555263/foobar2000-dolby-headphone-config-comment-discuss

My pc has the Titanium HD card, I can use RCA out or SPDIF,

ok so this is what i got, Asgard Amp, Sicphones Amp and a NFB-12. which i can setup several different ways.

So my dilemma is this, Keep what I got. Or

Choice 1

Bitfrost with Uber and USB + LYR +cables all total comes out to $1035$1,035.00

Choice 2

Woo audio Fireflies WA7 with match gold pin tubes. $1134 + Cables
No cables this will have to be added.

Choice 3
Don't buy anything keep what i got and be happy.

So which one of these choices you guys think will give me better enjoyment ?

Thanks in advance.

Ozz

Jun 1, 2013 at 8:06 AM Post #3,004 of 29,010
Notice in advance:-
Sorry about your wallet.

You have 3 choices.
1/ Do the incremental upgrade to your endgame setup. That's called smelling the flowers along the way.

2/ Get a Stax and topline amp to drive it.  Get a great DAC. That's called cutting to the chase.

3/ Be happy with what you have now.  That's called quitting while you're behind. Not good for the desire to own the best there is, but, you'll spare your wallet from haemorrhaging.

Jun 1, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #3,005 of 29,010
Quote:
Notice in advance:-
Sorry about your wallet.

You have 3 choices.
1/ Do the incremental upgrade to your endgame setup. That's called smelling the flowers along the way.

2/ Get a Stax and topline amp to drive it.  Get a great DAC. That's called cutting to the chase.

3/ Be happy with what you have now.  That's called quitting while you're behind. Not good for the desire to own the best there is, but, you'll spare your wallet from haemorrhaging.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!! so true!

Jun 1, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #3,006 of 29,010
ozz007.. what is your system lis lacking right now?

I haven't heard the Asgard but by all reading, the Lyr is definitely a step ahead.  If you go Lyr, factor in the cost of tube rolling, at lease a set of Amerex Orange Globes.  I've been looking into the WA7 and that may be an incremental step over the Lyr.

If you're going to use SPDIF or Coax, do you need the USB option on the Bifrost? The Uber is a nice upgrade.  I really don't hear any difference between my USB and Optical inputs.

Th Bifrost Uber/Lyr combo is quite nice but nowhere near an end game.  Same with the WA7 from what I've read. I may just stop at the WA7 for simplicity's sake.

Jun 1, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #3,007 of 29,010
ozz007.. what is your system lis lacking right now?

I haven't heard the Asgard but by all reading, the Lyr is definitely a step ahead.  If you go Lyr, factor in the cost of tube rolling, at lease a set of Amerex Orange Globes.  I've been looking into the WA7 and that may be an incremental step over the Lyr.

If you're going to use SPDIF or Coax, do you need the USB option on the Bifrost? The Uber is a nice upgrade.  I really don't hear any difference between my USB and Optical inputs.

Th Bifrost Uber/Lyr combo is quite nice but nowhere near an end game.  Same with the WA7 from what I've read. I may just stop at the WA7 for simplicity's sake.

To be honest don't know what I'm looking for, I guess a better sound for what I read tubes is the way to go.
I do use the spdif I never use the USB. I had check between the spdif and the analog RCA out and I can't tell any major difference in sound or detail.

WA7 looks like a very nice package so with this one I would had to use the analog out of my card.

Bitfrost/lyr sounds like it could be a good sounding option since the u er upgrade since to make the sou d better, and lyr well is always the option of tubes rolling.

I guess what I'm looking is a set up that will make the sound their best with the budget I have.

Jun 1, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #3,008 of 29,010
If you go WA7, use your USB output. I'm pretty sure that the DAC in the WA7 will surpass the one in your PC (using analog out).
If you go Bifrost Uber/Lyr, use your Coax or Optical. Order with PYST cables so they stack nicely.
Good Luck!

Jun 1, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #3,009 of 29,010
I am using the HD800 with Audiolab M-DAC and Meier Corda Jazz. So the question is am I getting the best out of my HD800's or should I upgrade the Amp asap? Thanks

Jun 1, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #3,012 of 29,010
It sure as heck is a picky headphone though as far as amplification...and speaking from experience, I've yet to hear a sub 1K amp that even started to do it justice other than an Auditor-and even that is a pretty polarizing choice. The ZDSE though...mmm mmm mmm.

-Daniel

Jun 1, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #3,013 of 29,010
True, except that all of the amps it does care to like have been $1000+.  There have also been amps in the $1000+ it didn't care for.  So yes price doesn't matter as far as pay more than this and you're good.  But it does matter in that no amps under $X can feed the HD800 in a way I find worth listening to.  My $X is $1000 and it's the Soloist.  On the B22, Peak, HA-160D... no thanks. Those made the HD800 a distant flat lifeless mess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back