The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Nov 22, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #28,906 of 29,013
So I'm thinking, what about making a sonically better protective grid? 3D printing or cut to shape?
After listening more time.. i started to miss the brightness a bit. 'Naked' drivers make the sound alot fuller which brings up more midrange texture. For people sensitive to peaky treble and seeking the HD800's stage this is heaven.

But my MDave is not shrill at all as a source so ive put the frames back in.. but this time OVER the metal rings. very easy to put out and in as the middle tube of the frame just snaps fixed still.

The frames now are lifted with some distance from the drivers and without filtersheets.

IMG-20231121-WA0003.jpeg

This gave the sparkle back.. but kept some of the fullness and smoothness in the treble.

I like this the best of all setups.

Nov 22, 2023 at 2:03 PM Post #28,907 of 29,013
After listening more time.. i started to miss the brightness a bit. 'Naked' drivers make the sound alot fuller which brings up more midrange texture. For people sensitive to peaky treble and seeking the HD800's stage this is heaven.

But my MDave is not shrill at all as a source so ive put the frames back in.. but this time OVER the metal rings. very easy to put out and in as the middle tube of the frame just snaps fixed still.

The frames now are lifted with some distance from the drivers and without filtersheets.

IMG-20231121-WA0003.jpeg
This gave the sparkle back.. but kept some of the fullness and smoothness in the treble.

That's cool. I might try this

What was the effect of removing the mesh itself? I assume you did that first?

Nov 22, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #28,908 of 29,013

IMG-20231121-WA0003.jpeg

Another thing. I see you kept the SDR module in place. Did you try without?

Nov 22, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #28,909 of 29,013
Another thing. I see you kept the SDR module in place. Did you try without?
Not yet but its very easy to try. SDR's might not be needed anymore.

The mesh (glued filters) i took first.. see my posts earlier. That boosted the clarity alot.
Like a blanket is lifted between me and the players in a room.

Nov 26, 2023 at 3:19 AM Post #28,910 of 29,013
So I don't think I'll make much progress trying to browse 1928 pages but the SDR mod is quite old and new ideas and variations seem to have popped up. Therefore I'm wondering what's currently considered to be the best mod, that is decently attainable (so no JAR800) I'm sure there's a lot of personal preference involved here but I'd love to hear the current trend. I'm debating going for either the HD800 or the HD800S and I'll choose the HD800 if it can deliver 'more' of what makes this flagship special through modding than the HD800S or at least almost the same.

I see mentioned that the SDR mod can make the treble sound a bit muted for example, but I don't know how anecdotal that is.

Nov 26, 2023 at 3:41 AM Post #28,911 of 29,013
So I don't think I'll make much progress trying to browse 1928 pages but the SDR mod is quite old and new ideas and variations seem to have popped up. Therefore I'm wondering what's currently considered to be the best mod, that is decently attainable (so no JAR800) I'm sure there's a lot of personal preference involved here but I'd love to hear the current trend. I'm debating going for either the HD800 or the HD800S and I'll choose the HD800 if it can deliver 'more' of what makes this flagship special through modding than the HD800S or at least almost the same.

I see mentioned that the SDR mod can make the treble sound a bit muted for example, but I don't know how anecdotal that is.
The SDR makes the HD800 as close to the HD800S as can be. They're almost indistinguishable. If you want be to mod, there's no reason to get the HD800S, really, it's just less flexible because you cannot easily remove the dampening material in the centre

Nov 26, 2023 at 3:42 AM Post #28,912 of 29,013
Its all about damping the resonation of the frame over the driver. Which de SDR does best imo by being tuned to (partly) cancel it.

Taking the frame out removes the 6kz peak completely so this proves that it resonates around 6khz.

Nov 26, 2023 at 3:49 AM Post #28,913 of 29,013
Its all about damping the resonation of the frame over the driver. Which de SDR does best imo by being tuned to (partly) cancel it.

Taking the frame out removes the 6kz peak completely so this proves that it resonates around 6khz.

Any chance for you to do measurements?

I don't doubt your observation, but it'd be very cool to have an FR graph :)

Nov 26, 2023 at 4:08 AM Post #28,914 of 29,013
Any chance for you to do measurements?

I don't doubt your observation, but it'd be very cool to have an FR graph :)
I would like to but i dont have the equipment

Nov 26, 2023 at 5:11 AM Post #28,916 of 29,013

So you would argue removing the frame is the best mod?

The SDR makes the HD800 as close to the HD800S as can be. They're almost indistinguishable. If you want be to mod, there's no reason to get the HD800S, really, it's just less flexible because you cannot easily remove the dampening material in the centre
The SDR mod is quite old though. I see newcomers like the aforementioned frame mod, Maxx mods, etc. I'm just wondering what the best of these are since the SDR seems to only partially fix the resonance?

Nov 26, 2023 at 6:02 AM Post #28,917 of 29,013
If its about eliminating the 6khz peak then yes.

I see youre in NL too.. you could come and hear its effect.

Nov 26, 2023 at 6:50 AM Post #28,918 of 29,013

The SDR mod is quite old though. I see newcomers like the aforementioned frame mod, Maxx mods, etc. I'm just wondering what the best of these are since the SDR seems to only partially fix the resonance?

SDR is old but does the job.

I've listened extensively to a Maxx mod and really liked it. I'd take that over the HD800S, but never got a chance to compare directly.

Dec 1, 2023 at 1:54 AM Post #28,920 of 29,013
Yeap, I have it and it's definitely an upgrade from the OS10, clearer, better positioning, deeper Soundstage.
it's just lacking in bass, a characteristics it shares with the Ls50 so am picking up a Sub for it also.
Tho am surprised at how close it is, the Swan is great bookshelf speakers for the price and size.

I know the 800 would be good, it's just I'm a bit hesitant on getting more of the same, the deal was 450 usd for a well used pair with no box, Im kinda backing out from it as later questioning seem to indicate the HD800 was being kept in a humid storage location for years. I've had a bad micro fungi experience with Ananda that broke the driver before, I know Dynamic driver is way more resilient than planar, but still better stay safe... Also a friend I plan to share the headphone with doesn't plan to buy a HD800 any time soon even tho it's one of his grail target so...
The Ananda is another hp I'd insist is in the same class. The review consensus is that the HD800 has the largest stage, but the Ananda is right there and more extensively images behind my head; it is the go-to for live concert realism in stage and tone for me.
However, if the dude dropped the HD800 in the toilet right in front of me, I'd still buy it for $450. The weak spot on them is the notches for adjustment, pad degradation, finish. I would surmise humidity could affect any rubber in the driver, but I don't believe it has surrounds with material.
So, I'd agree that you've already been to the mountain top. If you need some new blood outside of the LSX+sub, I'll humbly suggest experimenting with T1 pad substitution 🤷‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back