The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Mar 24, 2016 at 11:29 PM Post #22,261 of 29,013
  I too had a horrible time replacing my ear pads last summer on the HD800—the trick as far as I can tell is to get three or four hands pulling the plastic part of the ear pad toward headphone frame at the same time. My issue was it seemed to 'click' in in one or two places, but not all 3-4 necessary to latch. With some dedication, though, it worked. I would replace the ear pads when they come to the end of their life. I replaced mine when I bought mine used and they had an incredible improvement on the sound.

There is a video of someone taking off & putting back the earpads, but they offer no help in how they did it.

It just looks like he was pressing onto the earpads & they somehow click into place.

Mar 25, 2016 at 2:22 AM Post #22,262 of 29,013
Hey everyone. I'm considering finally getting an HD800 (have owned the PS1000, ESP950, T5p, HD650), but I've ignored it so thoroughly since getting into the hobby that I don't know much about people's amp preferences. I'm very interested in a Bottlehead S.E.X. pairing, but I can't seem to find many examples of owners with that pairing. Does anybody want to advocate for or against it, or perhaps suggest some common amp pairings that I could look into in the $500-$600 range on the used market? I looked back through the last few pages to get a start, but I'm sure everyone here knows how impossible Head-Fi's search function is. I have no interest in combined amps/DACs, since I've been an ODAC devotee for the last few years for reasons I can't explain.

Thanks!

Mar 25, 2016 at 4:33 AM Post #22,263 of 29,013
  Hey everyone. I'm considering finally getting an HD800 (have owned the PS1000, ESP950, T5p, HD650), but I've ignored it so thoroughly since getting into the hobby that I don't know much about people's amp preferences. I'm very interested in a Bottlehead S.E.X. pairing, but I can't seem to find many examples of owners with that pairing. Does anybody want to advocate for or against it, or perhaps suggest some common amp pairings that I could look into in the $500-$600 range on the used market? I looked back through the last few pages to get a start, but I'm sure everyone here knows how impossible Head-Fi's search function is. I have no interest in combined amps/DACs, since I've been an ODAC devotee for the last few years for reasons I can't explain.

Thanks!

I think the S.E.X is for lower impedance headphones & the Crack is for higher impedance headphones.

here is a good write up on the tewo
http://www.head-fi.org/t/683012/bottlehead-amplifier-discussion-comparison-thread-crack-sex-mainline

Mar 25, 2016 at 4:44 AM Post #22,264 of 29,013
snip
I too had a horrible time replacing my ear pads last summer on the HD800—the trick as far as I can tell is to get three or four hands pulling the plastic part of the ear pad toward headphone frame at the same time. My issue was it seemed to 'click' in in one or two places, but not all 3-4 necessary to latch. With some dedication, though, it worked. I would replace the ear pads when they come to the end of their life. I replaced mine when I bought mine used and they had an incredible improvement on the sound.
snip
It's actually fairly easy once you find just the right spot to 'crack it open' just a tad.

I use my thumbnail to pry between the 'housing' of the earcup and the pad.

Try it in a few places and one will be easier to wedge your fingernail in there and 'pop' the earpad away, and once started the next place (not to far away) will usually release the whole thing.

Putting it back on is just bit trickier.

The shape of the earpad is sorta D shaped and I use the 2 corners of the D as starting places to align the pad to the earcup housing.
Once aligned then press the outside edge of the pad into housing in several places between the corners of the D.
Then once its fully started, (you can tell because the pads and housing 'merge' easily without struggle) then just press all the way around the edge of the pad so it is fully seated into the housing.

If it is a struggle then stop and reset the position of the pad on the housing and try again.

I hope this helps.

JJ

Mar 25, 2016 at 5:26 AM Post #22,265 of 29,013
HD800 + Sonarworks Reference 3 = amazing.

Tamed highs and fatter bass, fuller mids.

Give it a pop: http://sonarworks.com/headphones/overview/

You can adjust the % of wet/dry (stock/EQ) signal to your liking too.

Mar 25, 2016 at 6:55 AM Post #22,266 of 29,013

Thanks!

I have the HD800 Bottlehead Sex and Mainline. The Sex is a superb and very versatile amp its resolution speed and sound staging are very good and if later you wanted to hot rod it by fitting some high quality signal caps like the Mundorf Supreme Silver in Oils a stepped attenuator and choked power supply you can really ratchet up its performance. The C4S upgrade ($40) is a must have imho.

I have been very happy with my Sex and use it for driving both headphones and Speakers (Fostex FX120 full range drivers listening to them at the moment) and its performance for the money is very good.

If you need the flexibility the Sex offers for driving a wide range of headphonesincluding some of the more difficult planar headphones as well as driving speakers its really a very good option.

Then we get to the Mainline and well its well just epic with the HD800 its such a good combination I am finding it hard to listen to anything else these days once you know what you have been missing its hard to go backwards. I also thought the Mainline was a easier build than the Sex.

Stop by the Crack-Sex-Mainline bb and get some feed back there are several active Sex owners posting.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/683012/bottlehead-amplifier-discussion-comparison-thread-crack-sex-mainline/1470#post_12449004

Mar 25, 2016 at 7:56 AM Post #22,267 of 29,013
  HD800 + Sonarworks Reference 3 = amazing.

Tamed highs and fatter bass, fuller mids.

Give it a pop: http://sonarworks.com/headphones/overview/

You can adjust the % of wet/dry (stock/EQ) signal to your liking too.

Why does the price of a software plug-in vary with the headphone for which it is tailored?   

Mar 25, 2016 at 8:07 AM Post #22,269 of 29,013
  The price for the plug-in alone is constant. It only varies if you buy the plug-in as a bundle with a set of headphones.

Ohhh!  Thanks! 

(I'm still working on my first cup of coffee.)  

biggrin.gif

Mar 25, 2016 at 8:24 AM Post #22,271 of 29,013
  How are you hosting the plug-in, and what settings are you using?

I assume this is directed at myself :¬)

I'm using it in two scenarios, firstly with my DAW (Ableton Live) and secondly as a system wide tweak.

For the latter you have two options, use Soundflower and PedalBoard2 (free):

https://sonarworks.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/207678455--Mac-I-d-like-to-use-the-plugin-on-any-audio-source-and-not-just-in-my-DAW-

Or Audio Hijack.

The latter costs money but is the better / smoother solution. I was experiencing a few pops and cracks with the former, no such occurrences with the latter. Audio Hijack is a fully developed app with lots of options (and a great retina friendly UI).

Sonarworks released a more optimised HD800 profile which I can dig up if you go this route.

Being able to blend the stock/EQ signal by any % is the key to finding your own perfect balance. I use about 70%. Flat EQ option too (bottom left).

Mar 25, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #22,272 of 29,013
Cute, you must use some real force to push down the earpads so that the plastic conforms to the neccessary shape. Dont be afraid of breaking the HD800, they are damn sturdy. Put both palms on the pad, lay the back of the earcup on a flat solid surface and use your whole body weight if neccessary.

I did that too. Scared the **** out of me, but in the end I got the pads on. :)

Strange question. Yesterday I retrieved the HD 800 from the sennheiser box where it has been stored for some listening. But now it is kinda smelly. I think it's the earpads. I tried to clean it with water but it still smells.

Any idea on what to do next? Can the earpads be thrown in the washing machine safely?

For some reason the Senn box smells, which ends up getting into the pads if you store it in the box for awhile. It's why I don't put it in the box. If you plan on storing it frequently, I'd recommend grabbing a pelican case for it.

Just let it air out for a few days, should slowly reduce the smell. And don't stick it in the washing machine.

Can you please put your bass perception of the HD 800 into perspective with for example the LCD 2.2 or the HE 560?

I can do a bit of comparing against the LCD-2. Of course, it's worth mentioning I sold my LCD-2 awhile ago, so it's old information (LCD-2, the version right before they implemented fazor).

I agree with just about everything JJ said:

Both of those planar cans have plenty of impact and bass response but in comparison lack, definition, inner details, and subsonic bass extension of the very bottom end.

Also the planars are more polite and smooth, but again are missing those inner details and the full range of the harmonic over and undertones in the midrange (and up) as well.

So if your goal is for enjoyable and smooth sonic traits vs hearing all of those micro-details and intonations, those planars will serve up a very pleasing acoustic presentation.

But I've become accustomed to hearing those subtle nuances in the music and miss them when they are lacking.

JJ

With one exception, in my experience the LCD-2 is able to easily match the HD800 with deep bass extension (and what little time I had with the LCD-X leads me to believe that is capable of just as much deep bass).

I'm also using an HD800 that has been EQ'd to have flat bass, so keep that in mind. I wholeheartedly recommend EQing your HD800 if you end up with a pair, it really brings out the best in them.

There is a video of someone taking off & putting back the earpads, but they offer no help in how they did it.

It just looks like he was pressing onto the earpads & they somehow click into place.

Once the HD800 pads have been put on for the first time and left on for a little while, it becomes much easier to put them on. Much MUCH easier. Putting a new pair of pads on is a pretty damn difficult, but an old pair snaps on with little difficulty.

Mar 25, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #22,273 of 29,013

I think the S.E.X is for lower impedance headphones & the Crack is for higher impedance headphones.

here is a good write up on the tewo
http://www.head-fi.org/t/683012/bottlehead-amplifier-discussion-comparison-thread-crack-sex-mainline

You have a point there, but I've always shied away from the Crack for that very reason. I don't want to lock myself into something with an output impedance that effectively limits my choice if I end up with another PS1000 or something similar down the road.

Mar 26, 2016 at 4:49 AM Post #22,274 of 29,013
snip

I agree with just about everything JJ said:

With one exception, in my experience the LCD-2 is able to easily match the HD800 with deep bass extension (and what little time I had with the LCD-X leads me to believe that is capable of just as much deep bass).

I'm also using an HD800 that has been EQ'd to have flat bass, so keep that in mind. I wholeheartedly recommend EQing your HD800 if you end up with a pair, it really brings out the best in them.

Once the HD800 pads have been put on for the first time and left on for a little while, it becomes much easier to put them on. Much MUCH easier. Putting a new pair of pads on is a pretty damn difficult, but an old pair snaps on with little difficulty.

I had a pair of LCD-x's here on my system and while they are like the other planars, in that the bass is (or can be) substantial, what I noticed (by comparison) was a slight lack of very bottom end resolution on all of the planars I've been able to use in my system.

And granted my system is also EQ'd and other tricks have been added as well, but between the subsonic 'softness' and harmonic differences of the entire bottom end I MUCH prefer the 800's.

In some cases the fast attack 'voices' can be so fast that it's over before I even have a chance to react.
This is akin to the autonomic blink response, where the 'stimulus' happens so fast, and is stopped so quickly, it's seems to be over before it even started.

The 800's can do a REALLY good job of this, and with authority, all the way down to well below 20Hz.

I never heard the planars match this degree of extension, nor with the resolution (micro detail) AND authority (Power).

But then I'm really focused upon those inner details and the ability to resolve the acoustic presentation, which is my bias.

JJ

Mar 26, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #22,275 of 29,013
I had a pair of LCD-x's here on my system and while they are like the other planars, in that the bass is (or can be) substantial, what I noticed (by comparison) was a slight lack of very bottom end resolution on all of the planars I've been able to use in my system.

Ah, so you're taking resolution rather than volume? I misinterpreted what you said as saying the LCD-X had bass rolloff.

In some cases the fast attack 'voices' can be so fast that it's over before I even have a chance to react.
This is akin to the autonomic blink response, where the 'stimulus' happens so fast, and is stopped so quickly, it's seems to be over before it even started.

The 800's can do a REALLY good job of this, and with authority, all the way down to well below 20Hz.

I never heard the planars match this degree of extension, nor with the resolution (micro detail) AND authority (Power).

But then I'm really focused upon those inner details and the ability to resolve the acoustic presentation, which is my bias.

JJ

Definitely agree with the "planar softness", I never ended up getting the detail I needed from planars. Sometimes, the soft and smooth response of Audeze cans is just what I need, but I certainly couldn't live with soft headphone as my only can. More often than not I need to hear the detail and texture of everything. And to my knowledge, nothing is able to produce both quite like the HD800.

Interesting to see the LCD-4 review. It seems the HD800S has made Tyll realize headphone manufacturers can (and should) do better in the high end open-back sector. He'll be knocking at least a few headphones in that area off the Wall of Fame in an attempt to raise the standards of summit-fi cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back