The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Oct 9, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #20,701 of 29,010
They aren't overly bright! The sound can be modified using the anaxilus mod or by reducing the output in the higher ranges. I have done the anaxilus mod. Took 20 minutes , no real skills needed. Whether it has altered the sound for the better there still appears to be no overly brightness about these phones. I read all about these phones a day bought a pair without having listened to them. That was 4 years ago and I have never regretted it. I would not recommend anyone else to spend that much money without trying first having said that. As for amps and dacs , like any reference phones of 300 ohms the HD800s should sound great out of anything from an 02 to a Chord. I have never plugged them in to anything that made them sound horrible, they don't produce enough without an amp on most stuff except in the most quiet environments.
Anyone else using a Fidelity Audio HPA 200 SE with these?
I believe I have the only one ever made. The Ibasso DX100 and Questyle QP1R certainly power the 800s to ear shattering levels. I often listen just through the DX100. Arguably i get improved results powering it through my Dac and Head Amp.

Or you can use a tone control (and that goes for any product especially when listening at lower levels.
:frowning2:

Oct 9, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #20,702 of 29,010
Quote:kapanak

you think it's simple to make dac looks like this ? some of the parts cost 100 $ or more , not cheap chip like other dac ..

You must be joking. That DAC's internals are any EE's nightmare.

Relax, it takes a special brilliance in electronic shambolism to come up with something as devoid of craftmanship as that.

It may be that it's sole purpose is to be a warning to other manufacturers of electronic goods.  
eek.gif

Oct 9, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #20,704 of 29,010
Oct 9, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #20,705 of 29,010
Moved from Macbook Pro running Audirvana Plus to Bryston BDP-1. It's a noticeable improvement in sound quality. Also, good to get away from the computer.

Oct 9, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #20,706 of 29,010
Oct 10, 2015 at 7:58 AM Post #20,710 of 29,010
I found a dealer that can sell the Taurus MK2. Is this a good buy considering that there are better amplifier on the market? ( I still haven't found a dealer that sells the GS-X MK2 unfortunately
frown.gif
)

And is it just a minor upgrade in sound over the Chord Hugo but at a very high price tag or is it a major upgrade? There is no demo unit so I basically have to order it and then return it if I don't find the upgrade significant. 

Oct 10, 2015 at 8:01 AM Post #20,711 of 29,010
Anyone try HDVA800 with HD800?

I have many times. It sounds good and apparently many people buy the HD800 + HDVD800 combination and none have returned it based on what a local dealer told me.

I personally didn't think it was worth the money since I have a Chord Hugo. If I didn't have a Chord Hugo already, it might be something I would have considered.

Oct 10, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #20,712 of 29,010
I have many times. It sounds good and apparently many people buy the HD800 + HDVD800 combination and none have returned it based on what a local dealer told me.

I personally didn't think it was worth the money since I have a Chord Hugo. If I didn't have a Chord Hugo already, it might be something I would have considered.

Did you like sound of chord hugo + hd800 more?

Oct 10, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #20,713 of 29,010
Did you like sound of chord hugo + hd800 more?

It's very good. But I didn't buy it for the HD800, I bought for my IEM's.  The soundstage isn't as good as the HDVD800 but it's better in other areas according to my own ears (details, transparency and clarity). I'm not saying the HDVD800 is a bad buy, I'm simply not going to spend $2500 for a slightly better soundstage while loosing in other area's. 

I'm going to add an external amplifier which will probably put the soundstage on par what I heard from the HDVD800 or even better. 

Oct 10, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #20,714 of 29,010
Oct 10, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #20,715 of 29,010
  I found a dealer that can sell the Taurus MK2. Is this a good buy considering that there are better amplifier on the market? ( I still haven't found a dealer that sells the GS-X MK2 unfortunately
frown.gif
)

And is it just a minor upgrade in sound over the Chord Hugo but at a very high price tag or is it a major upgrade? There is no demo unit so I basically have to order it and then return it if I don't find the upgrade significant. 

Caveat, I have not spent a great deal of time with the Hugo outside of Meet conditions. There are those who swear by the Hugo and it's derivatives, I much prefer the Taurus Mk. 2, it plays well with a wide variety of cans and even my CIEMs. My Taurus was magic with the HD800, HEK, Grado PS1000, and my HE560. Just my opinion, an excellent versatile amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back