The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Apr 17, 2013 at 5:56 AM Post #1,981 of 29,010
V800 in the house.. the V200 feels 'complete,' now.  Gotta say, this stack looks so clean & smart on my desktop.  Toss the HD800 in and and I've got a little slice of Germany's finest audio at my disposal.  How does it sound with the HD800?

tumblr_m6lvlqEF461r7qsdw.gif

DAT BASS..

..and really, everything else.  Simply. phenomenal. sound.

The midrange is so rich and natural.  Treble has terrific extension and accuracy, but mysteriously doesn't fatigue even with poorly recorded material.  I really like how the soundstage and imaging is tight and precise.  With some DACs/amps that go nuts with soundstage, the HD800 (as a reflection of the upstream gear) tends to lose the ability to accurately image the center of the stage.  Not so with this stack.  I'm a bit of a soundstage junkie.. and while the HD800's soundstage might not be quite as wide (vs what you'd get with some other TOTL amps), this stack's stage feels incredibly satisfying in its cohesion and ability to present a well proportioned space.

The Vio stack feels like it mixes the best (sonic) aspects of (what's traditionally associated with) tube & solid state amps, too.  Through some crazy German magic, it manages to sounds very smooth while maintaining terrific resolving ability & transparency.  There's nothing cheap or hokey about this either.. it does this with terrific precision.  The HD800 just eats it up and asks for more.  The sound is so smooth, clear, and dynamic.

It's 3am.. I'm entranced in the sound.. and seriously contemplating if my body need any meaningful sleep tonight.. cause I can't. stop. listening.

Apr 17, 2013 at 6:14 AM Post #1,983 of 29,010
Quote:
I'm left really wondering why they won't touch that inner ring.

My impression is that the HD800 is disassembled for the painting.  The mesh may not be removable from the frame, making the frame too difficult to paint risk free.

Apr 17, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #1,984 of 29,010
Quote:

It's 3am.. I'm entranced in the sound.. and seriously contemplating if my body need any meaningful sleep tonight.. cause I can't. stop. listening.

Occupational hazard for HD800 owners....
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 17, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #1,986 of 29,010
Quote:
V800 in the house.. the V200 feels 'complete,' now.  Gotta say, this stack looks so clean & smart on my desktop.  Toss the HD800 in and and I've got a little slice of Germany's finest audio at my disposal.  How does it sound with the HD800?

tumblr_m6lvlqEF461r7qsdw.gif

DAT BASS..

The midrange is so rich and natural.  Treble has terrific extension and accuracy, but mysteriously doesn't fatigue even with poorly recorded material.  I really like how the soundstage and imaging is tight and precise.  With some DACs/amps that go nuts with soundstage, the HD800 (as a reflection of the upstream gear) tends to lose the ability to accurately image the center of the stage.  Not so with this stack.  I'm a bit of a soundstage junkie.. and while the HD800's soundstage might not be quite as wide (vs what you'd get with some other TOTL amps), this stack's stage feels incredibly satisfying in its cohesion and ability to present a well proportioned space.

The Vio stack feels like it mixes the best (sonic) aspects of (what's traditionally associated with) tube & solid state amps, too.  Through some crazy German magic, it manages to sounds very smooth while maintaining terrific resolving ability & transparency.  There's nothing cheap or hokey about this either.. it does this with terrific precision.  The HD800 just eats it up and asks for more.  The sound is so smooth, clear, and dynamic.

Since I have the same set up as you:

What type of connection are you running from your v800 to v200?

What gain and volume position are your v800 to v200?

Apr 17, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #1,987 of 29,010
Quote:

DAT BASS..

Awesome. I liked the V200 combo with the HD800 although I've never head the V800 DAC. I would like to but no room for it in my rig anymore.

Apr 17, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #1,988 of 29,010
Quote:

My impression is that the HD800 is disassembled for the painting.  The mesh may not be removable from the frame, making the frame too difficult to paint risk free.

Yes. And it also seems that mesh allows the phone to breathe, still hoping there's some alternative work around.
IMO, it's pointless to do a custom job on the HD800 to only be forced to leave that mesh stock.

Apr 17, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #1,989 of 29,010
Originally Posted by esn89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Since I have the same set up as you:

What type of connection are you running from your v800 to v200?

What gain and volume position are your v800 to v200?

My V800 & V200 connected to each other via XLR.  The resampling feature is nice on the V800.. I prefer to use "best" or "off".. "best" smooths & tightens the sound.. sometimes, a little too much... but regardless, it's fun to cycles through the various rates.  Output on the V800 is set to full.  Gain on the V200 is set to zero (all jumpers are down).  I can comfortably go between 10am and 1pm on the V200's pot with these settings.

Apr 17, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #1,990 of 29,010
Quote:

My V800 & V200 connected to each other via XLR.  The resampling feature is nice on the V800.. I prefer to use "best" or "off".. "best" smooths & tightens the sound.. sometimes, a little too much... but regardless, it's fun to cycles through the various rates.  Output on the V800 is set to full.  Gain on the V200 is set to zero (all jumpers are down).  I can comfortably go between 10am and 1pm on the V200's pot with these settings.

We have an identical set up, except the gain on my v200 is on +12 so that the v200 volume pot is on the 12-3o clock :D

Apr 17, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #1,992 of 29,010
In this case buying the 'lesser' model does no harm.  You still have the entire power the normal model does since the chopping was at the output current gain stage and not the voltage gain.  If we were talking the HE-6... ouchies.  The other change will be speed but having never heard both side by side it's hard to say whether you could hear it.  Krell v Pass type discussion :wink:

Apr 18, 2013 at 6:07 AM Post #1,993 of 29,010
Quote:
Auditor and Phonitor, being able to deliver 1.7 watt at 300 ohms rarely mentioned with hd800. Anyone using this combo can comment? is it too bright for 800?

I have the phonitor. Of course it also depends on your DAC but in my system (with m51 and DLiii before that) the phonitor almost sounded tubbey. Bright? Hell no! very smooth presentation. 

Apr 18, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #1,994 of 29,010
Just a crazy thought that some of these customizers would think about how to make a thicker, cushier pad for the HD800s.
They are generally very comfortable, but some extra padding on the lower semi-circle (or semi-oval I guess) would be great.

Does anyone notice any flattening of the pads over time?

Apr 18, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #1,995 of 29,010
Quote:
Just a crazy thought that some of these customizers would think about how to make a thicker, cushier pad for the HD800s.
They are generally very comfortable, but some extra padding on the lower semi-circle (or semi-oval I guess) would be great.

Does anyone notice any flattening of the pads over time?

I stretched the headband a little because they were resting on my cheek a little too hard. Suppose like all pads they will flatten over time, but the good news with these is that it shouldn't affect the sound-stage because the pads are thin to begin with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back