The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Apr 14, 2013 at 5:18 AM Post #1,892 of 29,013
Quote:
Have the HD800 with a WooA6 and balanced with a Phoenix and I prefer the latter.....don't ask me why,it is just my ears,system etc.!
There is no harshness and plenty of bass with both amps but the Phoenix is ever so slightly more controlled and focused withouth losing musicality.

You sound like you want to apologize for prefering the Phoenix. The HD800's can be superb with a good SS amp. Even run single ended they sound excellent out of my Master-6 and that's with rock & metal.

I use to have the Woo6se and Audio-gd Roc and found they played on a similar level so the Pheonix should be a clear step up on the W6.

Apr 14, 2013 at 7:09 AM Post #1,893 of 29,013
When shortlisting tube amps that pair well with the HD800 I'll say again that the often overlooked Icon Audio HP8 mk2 should be on anyone's list. Check out Project86's recent review where he preferred it to the WA6 SE. I find it a very musical combination with hardly any shortcomings. Responds well to tube rolling too.

Apr 14, 2013 at 9:06 AM Post #1,895 of 29,013
Hey guys. I have an interesting history with sennheiser HD800. When I first listen to them one year ago through Burson HA-160DS they did not impress me and chose the Audeze LCD2 instead. A few weeks ago I was blown away when I listened to them from Burson Conductor. This unit changed them dramatically from what I knew. They impressed me so much as from that moment I knew...that in the near future I will get one. So the near future became present and I have a lovely pair of HD800 (sn 189xx). I think they are the best pair of headphones I have heard until now. I still love my lcd2 and still use them a lot but HD800 is clearly in another league.

Here are my full impressions of HD800 .

Apr 14, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #1,896 of 29,013
nice review! 

yeah the hd 800 is very transparent to the source and amp and can sound quite different. first time i heard hd 800 i was underwhelmed but now i absolutely love them and as i keep improving my setup, im starting to even like them more than my T1.

they just keep getting better and better! 

Apr 14, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #1,897 of 29,013
Quote:
A few weeks ago I was blown away when I listened to them from Burson Conductor. This unit changed them dramatically from what I knew. They impressed me so much as from that moment I knew...that in the near future I will get one.

This seems to be a very safe choice to unlock the HD800 and turn it from a distant, flat sounding headphone to a dynamic monster.  Burson really nailed it with this series.  HeadAmp GS-X mk2 is better but at 2.5x the price... anyone surprised?

Apr 14, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #1,898 of 29,013
My first impression of the HD800 wasnt positive either. It was 2 years ago at ALO Audio with a Burson HA-160d. I attribute it to not being an experienced heaphone listener. I didnt really become aware of imaging and soundstage until I had a couple of years in the hobby and a wide breadth of headphones audiotions to draw on for reference.

Needless to say, I absolutely love my 800's - paired with my DAC1 and from the output of my Pioneer AVR.

Apr 14, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #1,899 of 29,013
My first impression of the HD800 wasnt positive either. It was 2 years ago at ALO Audio with a Burson HA-160d. I attribute it to not being an experienced heaphone listener. I didnt really become aware of imaging and soundstage until I had a couple of years in the hobby and a wide breadth of headphones audiotions to draw on for reference.

Needless to say, I absolutely love my 800's - paired with my DAC1 and from the output of my Pioneer AVR.

Apr 14, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #1,900 of 29,013
Quote:
nice review! 

yeah the hd 800 is very transparent to the source and amp and can sound quite different. first time i heard hd 800 i was underwhelmed but now i absolutely love them and as i keep improving my setup, im starting to even like them more than my T1.

they just keep getting better and better! 

The T1s, god I used to own those. Yes, the HD800s are quite a bit better. 
o2smile.gif

This seems to be a very safe choice to unlock the HD800 and turn it from a distant, flat sounding headphone to a dynamic monster.  Burson really nailed it with this series.  HeadAmp GS-X mk2 is better but at 2.5x the price... anyone surprised?

Thumbs up to that from me as well. The Conductor makes the HD800s rock so hard:. great bass, dynamics, PRAT, very detailed, but smooth treble, while maintaining a neutral stance. Very engaging.

I've been secretly eyeing the GS-X MK2, but as you say 2.5x is a bit tough to swallow + the wait, but who knows. :)
How would you quantify the qualities GS-X MK2 adds over Soloist were it be in %?

Apr 14, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #1,901 of 29,013
. duplicate deleted

Apr 14, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #1,902 of 29,013
Quote:
How would you quantify the qualities GS-X MK2 adds over Soloist were it be in %?

Very similar, somewhere in the 95% range with the biggest difference being propulsive deep bass on the GS-X mk2.

Apr 14, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #1,903 of 29,013
Quote:

Very similar, somewhere in the 95% range with the biggest difference being propulsive deep bass on the GS-X mk2.

Thanks. See, a tough one now, anything the Soloist does better than the GS-X? :)

Apr 14, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #1,904 of 29,013
Leaves more space on my desk and more money in my wallet :p  If the GS-1 ever comes back then it's a conversation worth having since both are $1000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back