The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Apr 12, 2013 at 6:01 AM Post #1,846 of 29,013
Quote:
Is there any 3rd party earpads for this HD 800? I'm thinking something like JMoney pad for Denons... it can even increase bass performance on it.

And.. what is speaker you would suggest, guys? For this HD 800 .. I mean.. to complement and bring the same presentation compared to qualities had on HD 800 

+1 anyone heard speakers that approach hd800 imaging, etc?

Apr 12, 2013 at 8:11 AM Post #1,847 of 29,013
I imagine they would be speakers in the second mortgage territory.  They don't let people that look like me into stores that sell speakers that could compete with HD800s.  Hell, they look at me funny when I window shop at Magnolia (.... and no, I'm not going to stuff those crummy 200lb M&L ESLs into my pockets and walk out of the store O_o ... I might take a bat to that poor McIntosh amp that has to play Taylor Swift through $8k speakers all day though.)

Apr 12, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #1,848 of 29,013
Quote:
I imagine they would be speakers in the second mortgage territory.  They don't let people that look like me into stores that sell speakers that could compete with HD800s.  Hell, they look at me funny when I window shop at Magnolia (.... and no, I'm not going to stuff those crummy 200lb M&L ESLs into my pockets and walk out of the store O_o ... I might take a bat to that poor McIntosh amp that has to play Taylor Swift through $8k speakers all day though.)

biggrin.gif
 I can relate to that

Apr 12, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #1,849 of 29,013
Apr 12, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #1,851 of 29,013
Quote:
+1 anyone heard speakers that approach hd800 imaging, etc?

Quote:

Imaging is not too hard to match with speakers if you've got a decent room (too many intense reflections can ruin imaging though).  Bass reproduction and tactility will also be easy to beat. I haven't heard many halfway decent speakers that don't wipe the floor with the HD800 when it comes to soundstage.  Most of this is due to the inherent advantages speakers have over headphones.  Now, what the HD800's do that will often get you into the "second mortgage territory" for speakers is the transparency and detail.  The other big thing is finding speakers with either full-range single drivers or a well integrated crossover. 

Oddly enough, the cheapest suggestion that I would give for this is a Martin Logan speaker, but it's the long discontinued Aerius i.  It was the smaller end of their range, and I don't think they've put out another hybrid since that matched the speed and transparency or integrated the panel with the woofer as well.  They were ~ $2500 when new and can usually be found used for $800-$1000. 

I'd say some of the best options are electrostatic speakers from Kingsound and Sanders.

Apr 12, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #1,855 of 29,013
Yes what I meant before is about detail, transparency and forgetting about everything (if there is headphone or speaker being used) .. just pure producing music.. I've read some good reviews on KEF LS50. Of course I'm not asking for the most expensive one.. there is no limit :D

Have you guys listened yourself to speakers that you recommend? 

Apr 12, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #1,856 of 29,013
I haven't heard the Avantagrdes, but between 2001-2005 I built a comparable DIY horn system with exotic AER drivers, dual 45 mesh tube monoblocks, Placette passive attenuator, etc... easily over $10k in parts alone. It embarrassed the very best systems I could find at every hi-fi shop in town. A well-implemented SET horn system placed in the right environment transcends speakers entirely. They don't sound "amazing", they sound "real". That's the closest example I can think of bringing the HD800 sound into the realm of speakers.

I haven't been to RMAF yet but that's the best place I know to find speakers that could measure up. 

Apr 12, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #1,857 of 29,013
Yes what I meant before is about detail, transparency and forgetting about everything (if there is headphone or speaker being used) .. just pure producing music.. I've read some good reviews on KEF LS50. Of course I'm not asking for the most expensive one.. there is no limit :D

Have you guys listened yourself to speakers that you recommend? 

I've heard everything I recommend or one of the similar products in a lineup. For instance, I recommended King sound and Sanders electrostatic speakers but have only heard one model from each of their lineups. Some of my impressions are from quick listens at RMAF or the local hifi shop while others are from more extensive listening.

Apr 12, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #1,858 of 29,013
Quote:
You can buy 12 hd800 with these speakers.

They (the big Avantgarde horns) show up used a lot.  Keep looking on audiogon and you can get a very good price on a pair usually. They are great speakers and have and an almost classic status being (I estimate) over 12 years old. 
I heard them at shows a few times over the last decade and was really impressed.

Apr 12, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #1,859 of 29,013
The Magnepans are easily the most natural spacious sounding speakers I have ever heard that are actually affordable. I recommended the 3.7 but I havent heard them. I assume they possess the same qualities as the 3.6, which I have heard.

Apr 12, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #1,860 of 29,013
The Magnepans are easily the most natural spacious sounding speakers I have ever heard that are actually affordable. I recommended the 3.7 but I havent heard them. I assume they possess the same qualities as the 3.6, which I have heard.

My pick out of the suggestions. Maggie's are wonderful.

Gross. Love the way they look but haven't heard a pair in a system I liked.

B&W  nautilus looks better.

Too bad they're terrible. Almost every impression of this speakers I've read has been overwhelmingly negative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back