The New Brainwavz S3 “Silver Bullet” Earphones with Clearwavz Remote & Microphone
Sep 22, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #31 of 316

Then they have the M series, and the alpha, beta, delta, Jive. I'd rather see a company have maybe 3 - 6 IEM'S total. Are all 18, now including the S3,  different enough to tell all of them apart? 

I'd rather see a company have less options and make it more clear for the customer. Have a bass heavy option,  a v shaped option, a neutral option, maybe an option that is focused on smooth liquid mids with good bass and a calm treble, but having more than a dozen options is a bit much. 

I can attest to that. I tested and reviewed their M1, S0, S1, S5, and R3 models. All of them have quite distinct sound signatures that warrant product differentiation as @nmatheis stated.

IMO Brainwavz' broad product range gives consumers the freedom to choose from several sound profiles at different price points. Simply having a small product line based on sound signatures alone, with a fixed price tag (like, say, $100 each), won't really sell much to the laymen.  

Sep 22, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #32 of 316
All I know is they sound pretty sweet so far and don't sound bass thin like too many 'phones do. If you want to hear bloated, overwrought bass check out the TDK EB760. Picked up a pair on a whim at Ross for 6 bucks and it sounds like CRAP...and I have two other TDK's that I love. 
confused_face.gif

Sep 23, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #33 of 316

Then they have the M series, and the alpha, beta, delta, Jive. I'd rather see a company have maybe 3 - 6 IEM'S total. Are all 18, now including the S3,  different enough to tell all of them apart? 

I'd rather see a company have less options and make it more clear for the customer. Have a bass heavy option,  a v shaped option, a neutral option, maybe an option that is focused on smooth liquid mids with good bass and a calm treble, but having more than a dozen options is a bit much. 

Tried the R3?

Sep 23, 2015 at 2:01 AM Post #34 of 316
I also received my "mystery" IEM today.sonically they are right up my alley. It has been a while since I reviewed a Brainwavz IEM as I passed the last couple of them But the mystery angle peaked my curiosity so I took the bait.

I actually think the S3 is hitting all the right notes for a consumer oriented IEM. Like every IEM in this price range it has some issues and compromises but it's sonic signature is not one of them for me. But neutral lovers will want to look elsewhere.

One thing I have noticed problematic wise is the lip on the stem. It is so sharp I have had it cut the tip stem on pair of tips already and almost cut a second one. So I am now cautious about taking off tips.

The cable is typical Brainwavz Beta with the usual microphonics and weight but like other models I am able to wear these over ear and that helps. I like the IOS controls they are a bit big but very functional. I am going to burn these in and use them a couple of days but so far I am optimistic.

Sep 23, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #35 of 316
Got mine in as well. After a quick 30 seconds with the stock tips they are bassier than I typically like. I'll play with tips for a bit and then let them break in for a couple days.

It seems to me that every earphone or headphone Brainwavz makes is overly bassy except the jive and hm5. Why make so many IEM'S that sound practically the same? You guys should really make something with a sound more similar to the Jive, but just better. Make an RE-400 killer.

Well, they do have the R3, which I personally like better than re400 and gr07 but I have to admit that I think they should try to replace the discontinued B2 with something new with BA drivers or maybe work on a hybrid design like a lot of other companies are doing.

Sep 23, 2015 at 3:09 AM Post #36 of 316
Just received mine, I like the tuning, clear and neutral. Out of the box, the treble has good sparkle but never touch sibilant. Midrange is very neutral, I don't hear any peaks, dips, or other coloration. Bass is fast with good texture, sufficient but slightly less than my personal preference. Clearly not for basshead, more for people who like neutral tonality. Detail and clarity are very good, so it doesn't sound flat and boring, but neutral and lively with good clarity.

Please take note, that's just initial impression from about using it for less than 1 hour, out of the box. My impression so far is quite positive for S3.

Sep 23, 2015 at 4:30 AM Post #37 of 316
  Well, they do have the R3, which I personally like better than re400 and gr07 but I have to admit that I think they should try to replace the discontinued B2 with something new with BA drivers or maybe work on a hybrid design like a lot of other companies are doing.

Exactly my thoughts, they should go for a Flagship next time with more than one driver, hybrid will be awesome, Multiple BA will be wonderful too!!

Sep 23, 2015 at 5:23 AM Post #38 of 316

Exactly my thoughts, they should go for a Flagship next time with more than one driver, hybrid will be awesome, Multiple BA will be wonderful too!!

+1, given the great value for money Brainwavz represents I'd really like to see them step up a tier on IEM's as well as offer some new full size cans.........

Sep 23, 2015 at 5:52 AM Post #39 of 316

+2 Agree. It is time for Brainwavz to release a hybrid IEM 
smile.gif

Sep 23, 2015 at 7:49 AM Post #40 of 316
 Just received mine, but it has a problem!!

My unit has something in its vent on the right side. And i am experiencing serous amount of driver flex!! It does have some on the left too but the right one is gonna destroy my eardrum!! Should i use a needle? Punch a hope in it? or remove it.

Sep 23, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #41 of 316

My unit has something in its vent on the right side. And i am experiencing serous amount of driver flex!! It does have some on the left too but the right one is gonna destroy my eardrum!! Should i use a needle? Punch a hope in it? or remove it.

Just remove it, shouldn't be too hard..Wonder how it got on there, maybe it's some wax or something, these are polished after all. 

Sep 23, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #42 of 316

Maybe de-soldering pump might help to suck it out.

Sep 23, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #43 of 316
  Just remove it, shouldn't be too hard..Wonder how it got on there, maybe it's some wax or something, these are polished after all. 

Maybe de-soldering pump might help to suck it out.

It looks like some kind of glue or silicone thing. Let me use a needle then.

Sep 23, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #44 of 316

+2 Agree. It is time for Brainwavz to release a hybrid IEM 
smile.gif

+3

We want to see them bringing out BA earphones again or a neat little hybrid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back