The New Brainwavz S3 “Silver Bullet” Earphones with Clearwavz Remote & Microphone
Nov 3, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #286 of 316
  I'm not 
frown.gif
 I don't like writing reviews where I have a negative feeling about the product; I don't like disappointing people (or the manufacturers), so writing this is a bit of a bummer.

My advice - be honest.  Your reviewing reputation is ultimately more important than a particular manufacturer's reputation.  If they are a good manufacturer (and Brainwavz are), they will take the critique on board, and strive to improve.

If they penalise you by not offering any more review opportunities, then they aren't worth dealing with.

Nov 3, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #287 of 316

My advice - be honest.  Your reviewing reputation is ultimately more important than a particular manufacturer's reputation.  If they are a good manufacturer (and Brainwavz are), they will take the critique on board, and strive to improve.

If they penalise you by not offering any more review opportunities, then they aren't worth dealing with.

I didn't mean it like that... of course I have to be honest (like I was by the m9XX) as it's first priority, but it's just not something I like doing if most of the review is negative. I don't mind if they choose not to offer me anything more, it's their choice after all. Thanks for the tip though :)

To clarify, the mids and highs aren't too bad on mine either, aside to perhaps a little artificial sounding. But I'll have to really clear my head and try to assess this objectively to treat the situation as fairly as possible.

Nov 3, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #288 of 316

I also have issues with negative reviews  - I just don't like writing negative reviews as the products I don't really like don't inspire me to write a review. For instance, I have been delaying my Jive review for quite some time and honestly I had hard time listing its pros.
As far as disappointing manufacturers or fearing penalization I'll share Pandora's thoughts - I hope she won't mind (or penalize me
rolleyes.gif
)

"Reviews are just opinions! Some are crazy about the Jive and not the S3. Others like you, it's the other way around.
As long as you are nice while giving your opinion, it's all good!

We are actually very interested in feedback from our close reviewers! :)"

Nov 3, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #289 of 316
@kova4a - yep - that's what i really like about Brainwavz.

Nov 3, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #290 of 316
Let's face it -- none of us here likes writing negative reviews. But IMHO negative opinions on Head-Fi seem to have been left in the hands of trolls who gush about random negatives in baseless all-caps rants. None of the more serious reviewers want to face writing a negative review lest they be beat down by the consensus or as has been stated earlier, disappoint the manufacturers and maybe even be penalised for it. From what I see, it seems negative opinions have been considered to be "hate reviews", and with people shunning negative opinions all that's left is hype, over-enthusiasm, and optimism.

What I'm saying is that as reviewers, we have no reason to fear or avoid writing negative reviews. Opinions,  positive or negative, are valuable either way, and whether the manufacturer decides to improve based on those opinions or not -- well, that's their problem, not ours. That, and, well, what have we got to lose? A potential review opportunity from one potential manufacturer? That's it?

Whatever the case, I'm just stating my own two cents here. My S3 review is already out, so at this point, there isn't much else for me to talk about.

Nov 3, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #291 of 316
I, like others struggle to write negative reviews. The challenge for me is motivation to string together a well thought review when my heart's not in it.

I am going to whip up my review of the S3 tonight and in this case it will be a positive review because I like the musicality of the S3 But I do have some negative points I will be covering as well. I tend to rate headphones in terms of intended audience versus every thing being based from neutral (which is an audience). I also like to give ratings for different audiences as well, to try and give each audience an idea of how I think they will perceive a particular product.

For the S3 based solely on signature and detail I would rate them as follows:

Basshead - 3
Warm loving midrangehead - 4
Neutral loving midrangehead - 3
Mid-Treblehead - 2.5

Based off what I think is the intended audience I will give these a 4 for sound in the Head-fi score.

Nov 3, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #292 of 316
I, like others struggle to write negative reviews. The challenge for me is motivation to string together a well thought review when my heart's not in it.

I am going to whip up my review of the S3 tonight and in this case it will be a positive review because I like the musicality of the S3 But I do have some negative points I will be covering as well. I tend to rate headphones in terms of intended audience versus every thing being based from neutral (which is an audience). I also like to give ratings for different audiences as well, to try and give each audience an idea of how I think they will perceive a particular product.

For the S3 based solely on signature and detail I would rate them as follows:

Basshead - 3
Warm loving midrangehead - 4
Neutral loving midrangehead - 3
Mid-Treblehead - 2.5

Based off what I think is the intended audience I will give these a 4 for sound in the Head-fi score.

Out of 5??

Nov 3, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #293 of 316
Yes out of 5 :)

When I say those scores I am basing them in what I think each of those specific groups of users would think of the signature for their wants. I think neutral loving midrange users would rank these a 3.5/5 though versus the 3 I mentioned above. I will be ranking these as a 4 for sound quality though because I think they cater to the warm slanting midrange lover very well.

Nov 4, 2015 at 12:06 AM Post #294 of 316
Here is my review of the S3. I tweaked and explained my alternate scores a bit more than what I listed above as I felt that post was a bit to basic and not quite on the mark.

Nov 4, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #295 of 316
If I get a product and feel like the review is going to be negative, I'll contact the company and tell them I can't review the product they sent me because it will be a negative one. I consider a negative review to be anything 2.5 stars or less.

I also make sure to tell them why I feel this way, and give them ideas of how I think they need to improve their product. I also offer to ship the item back at my own expense. That way they don't think I'm trying hustle a freebie from them. To be honest, it's happened probably 5 or 6 times in the last six months.

The way I look at it, if it causes hard feelings and they don't want me to cover their products as a result it's a blessing in disguise. I don't want to cover products for manufacturers who can't accept the truth on their products.

While I try to give many review samples the benefit of the doubt and identify who besides myself would like them, if at the end of the day I don't see anyone liking them, it's time to offer to send them back.

I don't care for the star ranking thing at all. I feel there's too many factors that weigh into a single star ranking for a product. Either break it down into each criteria, or do nothing at all.

Nov 6, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #297 of 316
Nov 9, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #300 of 316

Users who are viewing this thread

Back