The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone surround sound)
Mar 25, 2017 at 1:53 AM Post #3,781 of 4,136

Is anyone using windows 10 insider fast ring?

There is an option for windows sonic, which is surround sound processing for 7.1

I currently have an x7 attached to my pc by usb and have the regular windows speaker config set to 5.1, in game set to surround, and sbx on. However, this is limited to 5.1 (in the x7). 

How would I go about integrating windows sonic? should I shut off sbx in that case? 

There is a dolby atmos option for headphones too, but that is not yet available.

One of the changes that is being rolled out now in the Xbox Insider program is surround sound support and while it’s not a massive change, it should be a welcome addition to those who like to play the console with headphones. The change appears to be native virtual surround option for Xbox One headphones and it is being called “Windows Sonic for Headphones.”
This feature gives players a feel like they are using virtual surround sound and apparently its being offered for Windows 10 through the insider program as well. While the update is only available to a select few now, it seems as though we should expect it to roll out to a bigger audience in the near future.

Mar 25, 2017 at 3:58 AM Post #3,782 of 4,136

Is anyone using windows 10 insider fast ring?

There is an option for windows sonic, which is surround sound processing for 7.1

I currently have an x7 attached to my pc by usb and have the regular windows speaker config set to 5.1, in game set to surround, and sbx on. However, this is limited to 5.1 (in the x7). 

How would I go about integrating windows sonic? should I shut off sbx in that case? 

There is a dolby atmos option for headphones too, but that is not yet available.

One of the changes that is being rolled out now in the Xbox Insider program is surround sound support and while it’s not a massive change, it should be a welcome addition to those who like to play the console with headphones. The change appears to be native virtual surround option for Xbox One headphones and it is being called “Windows Sonic for Headphones.”
This feature gives players a feel like they are using virtual surround sound and apparently its being offered for Windows 10 through the insider program as well. While the update is only available to a select few now, it seems as though we should expect it to roll out to a bigger audience in the near future.

Turn off SBX so the two surround algorithms don't end up on top of each other.

Mar 25, 2017 at 5:09 AM Post #3,783 of 4,136
G'day there, I still have the X-Fi Titanium HD in my PC and love it...anything better out there now for gaming?

Cheers

Mar 25, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #3,785 of 4,136
Not too sure... It was there for the last 4 or 5 builds. I think the creators update will be available sometime in April for all users, though i don't know if it will include this new 7.1 audio processing and dolby atmos for headphone (which looks like will need to be purchased from the windows app store)

Mar 26, 2017 at 9:45 AM Post #3,786 of 4,136
Not too sure... It was there for the last 4 or 5 builds. I think the creators update will be available sometime in April for all users, though i don't know if it will include this new 7.1 audio processing and dolby atmos for headphone (which looks like will need to be purchased from the windows app store)

Thanks m8. Be sure to post your impressions on Windows Sonic surround processing when you try it.

Mar 26, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #3,787 of 4,136
Hi everyone,

Apologies for asking Qs that you're probably all sick of answering, but the thread is huuuge! Basically, I'll be building my first gaming PC in a decade during the summer. I want it to be capable of great gaming audio, but i'm pretty much ten years out of date, hence the questions. I'll try to keep them short and to the point.

1. I already have a pair of Q701s for music listening - are they well suited to gaming re: positioning?
  2. I enjoyed CMSS-3D (with an Xtreme Gamer). Is CMSS-D still used? If not what's the current equivalent?
  3. Kind of the same question.... If CMSS-3D is still a good solution, should I buy the Titanium Fatality Pro I found in a local pawn shop for €25, or are there modern sound cards that can do a better job re: positional audio in games?
  4. Is it worth getting a small desktop headphone amp to run between the sound card and the 701s? What about a DAC?
  5. Am I over-thinking this, and should be plenty satisfied with modern onboard audio for games and music?

Sorry again for the noob questions... Just want to get this right! :)

Mar 26, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #3,788 of 4,136
CMSS-3D does not take advantage of DirectAudio or OpenAL in modern games because games don't use these APIs anymore, but it's still perfectly viable as a standard 7.1 to headphones virtual surround solution.

If you plan on getting a dedicated DAC, be aware that many software virtual surround solutions don't support outputting to it. Though it seems Windows 10 is getting native support for virtual surround on the OS level soon, which will make it possible.

Mar 26, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #3,789 of 4,136
  CMSS-3D does not take advantage of DirectAudio or OpenAL in modern games because games don't use these APIs anymore, but it's still perfectly viable as a standard 7.1 to headphones virtual surround solution.

If you plan on getting a dedicated DAC, be aware that many software virtual surround solutions don't support outputting to it. Though it seems Windows 10 is getting native support for virtual surround on the OS level soon, which will make it possible.

Thanks, much appreciated!

Your post reminded me that I actually had another question, about W10. Are the older cards (such as the Fatality) still getting driver support for new operating systems (either official or unofficial)?

Also, are there any go-to or frequently recommended solutions for modern pc gaming audio, or would we be just splitting hairs?

Mar 26, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #3,790 of 4,136

Also, are there any go-to or frequently recommended solutions for modern pc gaming audio, or would we be just splitting hairs?

The two best solutions for 7.1 to headphone surround sound are the SBX GSX 1000 from Sennheiser and the SBX pro from Soundblaster with the Soundblaster Z range of cards. the Sennheiser is better in Battlefield 1 but in Arma 3 I find the Soundblaster Z is better as there is an odd occlusion to the rear in ACRE with Sennheiser. That is due to Arma 3 being a 5.1 game and the Sennheiser being a 7.1 device.

The Dolby headphone cards are OK but SBX pro is clearly better for gaming.

Mar 26, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #3,791 of 4,136
The two best solutions for 7.1 to headphone surround sound are the SBX GSX 1000 from Sennheiser and the SBX pro from Soundblaster with the Soundblaster Z range of cards. the Sennheiser is better in Battlefield 1 but in Arma 3 I find the Soundblaster Z is better as there is an odd occlusion to the rear in ACRE with Sennheiser. That is due to Arma 3 being a 5.1 game and the Sennheiser being a 7.1 device.

I have a sb z in my pc and x7 for my console... never saw a7.1 option. What an i missing here?

Mar 27, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #3,792 of 4,136

Thanks. Hadn't heard of the Sennheiser unit... Will look into it now!

Mar 31, 2017 at 2:30 AM Post #3,795 of 4,136
  Hi everyone,

Apologies for asking Qs that you're probably all sick of answering, but the thread is huuuge! Basically, I'll be building my first gaming PC in a decade during the summer. I want it to be capable of great gaming audio, but I'm pretty much ten years out of date, hence the questions. I'll try to keep them short and to the point.

1. I already have a pair of Q701s for music listening - are they well suited to gaming re: positioning?
  2. I enjoyed CMSS-3D (with an Xtreme Gamer). Is CMSS-D still used? If not what's the current equivalent?
  3. Kind of the same question.... If CMSS-3D is still a good solution, should I buy the Titanium Fatality Pro I found in a local pawn shop for €25, or are there modern sound cards that can do a better job re: positional audio in games?
  4. Is it worth getting a small desktop headphone amp to run between the sound card and the 701s? What about a DAC?
  5. Am I over-thinking this, and should be plenty satisfied with modern on-board audio for games and music?

Sorry again for the noob questions... Just want to get this right! :)

It might help to know the make and model of your motherboard?
While I think the TFP (Titanium Fatality Pro) is a good buy, for $25 Euros, unless you into older FPS games. might as well just spend a little more for a Sound Blaster Z sound card.
The SB-Z card comes with a better DAC chip then the TFP and better built in headphone amplifier.
Also as the Z series cards is what Creative is currently trying to sell, chances are the bulk of what Creative spends for driver improvement, is going for the Z series.
(I believe Creative stopped a few years ago making any hardware that uses the DSP chip that is use on cards like the Titanium Fatality Pro)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back