The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone surround sound)
Dec 17, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #3,271 of 4,136
Hey guys. Just a quick question.

I'm looking to buy the Fidelio X2, to be used for gaming/music/movies.
To power it I've been thinking of buying the Creative SB Z and the new schiit magni/modi uber.
Is this over kill and is it possible to output from digital to the schiit dac to keep CMSS?

Cheers, Jimbo.

Dec 18, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #3,273 of 4,136
Yes to both your questions.

But honestly, with SB Z alone, you are more than good to go if all you plan to use is the X2. Easy to drive headphones that even your phone can drive them nicely.

People have done tests with non amped X2's and amped/tube amp and have noticed differences. "mid sound deeper and the bass really come alive"...Though guessing this is all down to personal taste really and might not even be needed.

I'm going to bite the bullet and do the soundcard/dac/amp and if I don't like the difference I will see send it back. Will just lose out on postage I guess.

----

For others who have done the same and I need some clarification if possible can you look at this setup and will it work correctly? Setup is for Games, Movies and Music

Soundcard* -> Optical -> Modi -> Magni/Vali (can't decide yet) -> Philips Fidelio X2. (Using DSP info from "What U Hear"... Is that correct?)

* = Can't decide yet Soundblast Z or the xonar... (I like SBX pro so probably the creative card)

I got a nice Christmas bonus so money ain't really a thing and would like to spoil myself so might buy both the Magni/vali and try them out and keep the one I like the most.

Dec 18, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #3,274 of 4,136
People have done tests with non amped X2's and amped/tube amp and have noticed differences. "mid sound deeper and the bass really come alive"...Though guessing this is all down to personal taste really and might not even be needed.

I'm going to bite the bullet and do the soundcard/dac/amp and if I don't like the difference I will see send it back. Will just lose out on postage I guess.
If you buy from Schiit Directly, there's also a 15% restocking fee. Keep it and resell on the FS Threads here for less of a loss

For others who have done the same and I need some clarification if possible can you look at this setup and will it work correctly? Setup is for Games, Movies and Music

Soundcard* -> Optical -> Modi -> Magni/Vali (can't decide yet) -> Philips Fidelio X2. (Using DSP info from "What U Hear"... Is that correct?)

* = Can't decide yet Soundblast Z or the xonar... (I like SBX pro so probably the creative card)

I got a nice Christmas bonus so money ain't really a thing and would like to spoil myself so might buy both the Magni/vali and try them out and keep the one I like the most.
You don't need to use "What U Hear". That's for outputting to a USB only device. Since you're going optical, DSP will get converted to PCM and output into the Modi that way.

Dec 18, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #3,275 of 4,136
You don't need to use "What U Hear". That's for outputting to a USB only device. Since you're going optical, DSP will get converted to PCM and output into the Modi that way.

Oh ok, is DPS to PCM automatic? I've been trying to read through info about all of this what other people have done but it's all quite confusing :) And not a lot of info I can find about it as well.

Dec 19, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #3,276 of 4,136
Does anyone have experience with SoundBlaster Audigy SE?  I bought it because Newegg says it has a S/PDIF output, which I wanted to feed to my D100 Dac after adding CMSS processing.  The D100 takes optical and coaxial inputs, but the card's outputs are all 3.5mm.  Is there a way to connect the digital 3.5mm output on the Audigy to my DAC?  If not, I'm going to return the card and get something else with a coaxial/optical output.  What's the cheapest soundcard that can do this?

Dec 19, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #3,277 of 4,136
Does anyone have experience with SoundBlaster Audigy SE?  I bought it because Newegg says it has a S/PDIF output, which I wanted to feed to my D100 Dac after adding CMSS processing.  The D100 takes optical and coaxial inputs, but the card's outputs are all 3.5mm.  Is there a way to connect the digital 3.5mm output on the Audigy to my DAC?  If not, I'm going to return the card and get something else with a coaxial/optical output.  What's the cheapest soundcard that can do this?

rtfm.jpg

Mao_RTFM_vectorize_by_cmenghi.png

RTFM? it has 3.5mm COAX S/PDIF:
http://support.creative.com/kb/ShowArticle.aspx?sid=96220

If you don't have the mono 3.5mm jack to mono RCA cable.
You can use this Left white plug RCA as subsitute:

Jan 7, 2015 at 1:53 AM Post #3,279 of 4,136
Hi all...i have a lot of questions, and need your opinions and advice.

I currently use my PC and PS4 for gaming, and also use my PC for music/movies.

My current setup is a SoundBlaster Z in my PC which bypasses sound to my Bifrost Uber and Asgard 2. This setup works great when listening to music and movies, using my Beyer Dynamic DT990 Premium. 

However, i find gaming lacking - the sound quality is awesome, but the feeling of immersion through surround sound and positional accuracy is not so great. 

I have been trying to figure out what is the best way to overcome this problem. 

Would it be better to plug my headphones into my sound card instead of my DAC, to obtain positional audio and surround sound (It will be annoying constantly switching, but i can live with it)? 

From your experience, would the sacrifice in sound quality make up for the surround immersion and position effects?
The SB Z does not have a licence for Dolby, but it does use SBX Pro Studio - is this fairly comparable to Dolby for surround virtualization? 

Now for the PS4...that too is hooked up to my DAC, using the same headphones with it. What is the best way to obtain surround sound on here? Would connecting my PS4 to my sound card via optical, then allowing my sound card to process virtual surround, work (of course, with my headphones plugged into the sound card instead of DAC)? Would my sound card be able to apply virtual surround for my PS4 if the signal is simply coming from an external optical source (PS4), or does that only work if the sound is being produced in the PC environment? The only issue for this is that each time i want to play my PS4, i would also have to have my PC on.

I know they sell things like the Astro MixAmp...that would at least allow me to get virtual sound on my PS4 without needing my PC, but would it be useless for surround on my PC because SB Z has no Dolby licence? I don't believe it will be a problem since the sound will simply output from my PC and the MixAmp will apply the effects. Correct me if i am wrong. What differences would i expect from using my SB Z vs the MixAmp?

I want to hear your advice, opinions, and suggestions, on how to improve this situation. 

On a side note, would i obtain a better experience if i watch bluray movies with simulated surround from my sound card, or plain stereo from my DAC?

I just wish that somehow my PC could send the processed virtual effects to my DAC, which would then just send the sound to my ears. It would be the easiest way to solve these problems, without sacrificing sound quality (i really love my DAC).

Thanks all, sorry for the long read, and i really hope some of you can help me.

I will also post this in another thread that deals with PC gaming - don't get mad if you see my post again.

Jan 7, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #3,280 of 4,136
You really never test that out by just enabling SBX surround to DAC or just stick the headphone into SBZ directly to hear any differences?
What is your interpretation of immersive virtual surround? The reference should be with real 5.1./7.1 HT speakersetup.
To me SBX sounds the closest to the real speakers with the cons of inherent headphone surround artifacts and lack of real good Front/Back sound positioning.
Its possible that DH's added reverberations gives you the immersion you're looking for.
Go to this thread for comparation video's and info's:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/748785/dolby-home-threater-v4-7-1-vs-sbx-pro-5-1
---
Review/test your setup/configuration/settings again, what sounds best to you is the best config.
1) Set at Windows Sound panel: SBZ speaker config to 5.1 Surround full ranges and SBZ advanced tab bit/samplerate to 24 bits, 48000 Hz.
2) Set at SBZ software suite panel: Speakers/Headphones Configuration to Headphones.
3) Enable only SBX Pro Studio Surround and adjust the Surround slider to what sounds best, mostly 10%-60% is "best" depending on the 5.1 game/recording SQ.
To much surround processing will make the SQ sounds like from FM radio to AM SQ.
4) Config any in game's audio output to 5.1 speakers.
---
You can try these setups, if by analog amping directly from SBZ card's outputs can give better, smoother, immersiver "analog" blended sound.
5) Skip the Uber DAC, SBZ optical passing can give digital jitter errors resulting harsher (less immersive) "digital" sound.
6) Set Asgard2 to High Gain, low is meant for high-sensitive IEM.
7) Connect with a 3.5mm jack -RCA cable from SBZ Headphone or SBZ Line-out 1 (F L/R) to Asgard2.
8) Test/swap between the SBZ headphone/Line-out1 outputs to Asgard2, if the Line-out is passing the SBX hp surround effects too.
Test the Line-ots1 by setting SBX surround enabled to 100% and switch SBZ Speakers/Headphones Configuration between Headphone and 5.1 speakers.
If this Line-out1 has the same effects as the Headphone-out, then use Line-out1 as the proper RCA main output to Asgard2.
---
Virtual Surround headphone sounds "best" only with 5.1/7.1 surround coded game/movie/music.
If you talk about bluray/dvd movies in PC bluray cdplayer or any 5.1 mp4/mkv/avi, then you'll need the PC mediaplayer have the correct DolbyDigital5.1/DTS5.1 software decoder into 5.1 RAW PC audiostream.
AC3filter is able to do that.
Download free mediaplayers and codecs from:
http://www.free-codecs.com/
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_Lite_Mega_Codec_Pack.htm
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/AC3_Filter.htm
---
If using ext. standalone blurayplayer or PS4, the only way to get Virtual Surround HP is using mixamp/turtle DSS/recon3D usb with Dobly optical input/decoder or to real surround receivers with dolbyheadphone/silent cinema etc.

Jan 10, 2015 at 3:31 AM Post #3,281 of 4,136
Bigbeard,
Good amount of research so far!

The Z can output stereo PCM to the Bifrost (like I have!) which was already processed into headphone surround from within the Soundcard. There's simply a checkbox to enable that all by itself in one of the sections of the SoundBlaster Z control panel. cdsa35000 said this adds jitter, I thought it still sounded pretty good but I never A/B'd the sound in a more controlled test to narrow down the difference with stereo music between plugging the Bifrost into the Omni or motherboard...

Some people connect their PS4 to their soundcard's input. That only works if the PS4 is outputting stereo (some games like The Last Of Us and Battlefield have their own headphone surround options which can be enabled and baked-in at this point), that doesn't change anything from plugging straight into your DAC, but you could also enable SBX surround from the PC control panel and see if you like it. When SBX is fed stereo, it makes the center image seem more out in front of you instead of eminating from between your ears, but it doesn't really do anything about rear cues and isn't as accurate with directions as when fed a surround signal. YMMV, but you already have the parts so worth a try.

I had a Z and then an Omni hooked up to my PC and outputting processed sound optically to my BiFrost Uber and tube hybrid amp, pretty awesome setup, but I had a cheaper DSS plugged into my PS4 (with a Blue Snowball USB mic) for console duty. The DSS was certainly a great return on investment for how much I paid, but not as proficient as the Bifrost/tube amp combo (or SBX processing, IMO) in my PC setup. The upside, it was pretty easy to transport my PS4 setup between my computer room and bedroom.

Recently I aquired a Soundblaster X7, putting it directly between PC an headphones I didn't notice a significant drop in quality from the Bifrost/tube amp, and I can also wire my PS4's optical cable to the X7 without turning on (or disconnecting) my PC, the quality there was definitely a noticable step up from the DSS. I can also connect a bunch of other things to the X7 with multipoint Bluetooth, RCA input, and an extra USB HOST Mode input for iOS7 and up iOS devices and OTG-compatible android devices. The X7 isn't the only option, but it's made a lot (most) of my other gear redundant and probably heading to the sale yard soon... curiousity demands that eventually I should do a head-to-head of the X7 DAC vs the Bifrost, but only cuz I have both.

Jan 10, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #3,282 of 4,136
Hey Ev, i also purchased an X7 for my ps4 and i think it is great, especially with the SBX for games.

i use my bifrost uber/Asgard 2 solely for my pc now - no more switching out cables.

i also am now outputting SBX processed sound from my pc into my bifrost/asgard. and i like the effects (for gaming).
Stereo is still my go-to for music.

The way i get SBX for Pc gaming is that first i switch over to "headphones" in SBZ control panel, then enable SBX studio. Next, i configure windows for 5.1 speakers (on full range). Then for the windows sound icon, i enable the SBX as the default playback device (not SPDIF out, as this won't allow any processing) and then go to recording divcies and enable "what you hear", under which, i enable "listen" and select spdif out as the default in that dropdown box.

This is the only way i could get it to work. does it seem OK to you? i would prefer to have a direct signal passing on DSP to my amp and dac, instead of listening to "what you hear", but could not figure out how to do so. If you have any input, i'd appreciate it.

Just as you, I am also impressed with the X7 sound quality. I have not yet made a direct comparison to my PC setup, but i do think the sound is very nice. The virtual surround works great on the PS4.

Jan 12, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #3,283 of 4,136
Well, I just learned some interesting things recently.

DirectSound3D may still be intact in Vista onward, but ONLY in software. The problem is that most games don't create 3D buffers at all if they don't detect hardware acceleration.

Along with that, there's another method of restoring audio for DS3D games with modern OSes aside from ALchemy, DS3DGX and 3DSoundBack: IndirectSound. It seems to take the 3D buffers and map them to XAudio2 speakers, so it's not what I'd consider ideal, but it's still another option if ALchemy doesn't pan out for whatever reason.

This entire thread is a gold mine, really. So's this wiki page.

Mirh knows his stuff; perhaps I should've had him just write the guide!

Oh well, I suppose this gives me more reason to rewrite the guide outright. I just gotta think about how I want to approach this, because I'm not really satisfied with the current "giant list of resources" format.

Jan 12, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #3,284 of 4,136
@bigbeard,
That's cool!
Honestly, I put my Bifrost away in a box for now, too tired when I get home from work (like today) to putz around. I may get around to it after tomorrow, I'll finally have off two days in a row for the first time in a long time, Wednesday & Thursday! However, I'll be first troubleshooting my computer, since updating to windows 8.1 from 8 (metro didn't bother me anymore than windows in general) I've been having problems with slow responsiveness and local games getting laggy after an hour of play... Today steam won't even start, so reinstalling that. Clean wipe may be incoming, is there anyway to reinstall Windows on a different drive in my computer?

I was able to get my Omni to output processed audio through Optical without using "Wat U Hear," but it took some doing. And I forgot what I did, I know the firmware update was involved and I think I just checked the "output stereo mix through optical" box, but I forget what I had to set as the default audio playback device in windows. Honestly, NamelessPFG should know :wink:

NamelessPFG,
Setting up a guide is indeed difficult. My console surround devices thread is starting to get more visitors, but they're starting to repeat themselves and their questions as plagues Mad's thread, and I'm starting to get PMs asking me to work for them. Meh.

Jan 12, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #3,285 of 4,136
For a clean Windows 8.1 install, download the isolation from their website. I'm on the phone right talking to my GF lol but google it and you can get more info about it. Seems like if you update from 8 to 8.1, problems start happening....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back