The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone surround sound)
Dec 2, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #3,226 of 4,136
The x7 is pretty much the creative Sound Blaster Zxr but in a larger package and is USB. The added bonus is that you can attach passive speakers. Other than that, Astro mix amp just loses here in terms of sound quality and options, and internal hardware.

If you were to get the x7, you wouldnt need the e12 anymore to drive harder to drive headphones since the x7 has a 600ohm amp and a very good quality amp at that. E12 doesnt preocess dolby headphone or SBX for your headphones, its just an amp. Ad700 dont really need amping from what i know reading and if amped, you probabky wont notice much of a difference, maybe a more cleaner audio since you are using something that has better hardware.

The x7 seems to be the the first to offer such quality, for 400 of course lol.

Dec 2, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #3,227 of 4,136
Well to offer creative functions with all of those other stuff for 400, tho I think it little too much and i feel it should be 250 atleast, But thats me. Maybe remove the speaker amp for the wired bookself speakers maybe that would bring the price down alot, as most people prolly will be using stereo receivers if they using passive speakers. As powered speakers would work just fine with the RCA out. I would had thought creative would do some kind of discreet design or even use micro tubes instead of op-amps at that price.

Tho its not like one can get something cheap like a used Z/x-fi and use optical and send all of that features into a external dac like a modni optical or a dac/amp like a NFB15 or Modni optical+magni/vali and do it that way. But it is a start, maybe creative will start doing it other price points as well asus which could maybe get game devs to start doing higher quailty sounds and music scores in their games.

Dec 4, 2014 at 5:19 AM Post #3,228 of 4,136
Hello, I am gonna of build a new PC and buying my first headphones too! Will the Soundblaster Z be enough to power a AKG 712 or would I also need a DAC and a headphone amp? ( I was thing of buying a schiit stack).
Currently I have DAC headphone amp combo SMSL SAD-25. Thanks for the great thread!

Dec 4, 2014 at 7:28 AM Post #3,229 of 4,136
The Mixamp is a toy with bad SQ (yes, I own one), it never sounds good, it was just a bad necessity as real alternatives were rare or extraordinary expensive. Pure sound quality difference between the X7 and the Mixamp is worlds. (based on the ZxR I use vs. Mixamp)

Dec 4, 2014 at 8:17 AM Post #3,230 of 4,136
Can the X7 turn on/off DH or other virtual surround processing via hardware like the Mixamp, or does it require software? I ask because they don't hint at any Linux support.

Dec 4, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #3,231 of 4,136
There's a iOS/Android X7 app Creative released recently for the case you can't access the standard software via PC/Notebook etc.

Dec 6, 2014 at 7:48 AM Post #3,233 of 4,136
I could not find information on Linux support for the SB X7, but even if it works, it is not unlikely to be limited to simple USB DAC functionality. Especially if the 3D audio is actually implemented in software on Windows (like it seems to be in the case of ASUS/C-Media hardware), or if there is a general purpose audio DSP chip in the device (similarly to the emu10k1 on the Sound Blaster Live and other older cards), but it requires proprietary firmware for the headphone surround effects.

Dec 6, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #3,234 of 4,136
  I could not find information on Linux support for the SB X7, but even if it works, it is not unlikely to be limited to simple USB DAC functionality. Especially if the 3D audio is actually implemented in software on Windows (like it seems to be in the case of ASUS/C-Media hardware), or if there is a general purpose audio DSP chip in the device (similarly to the emu10k1 on the Sound Blaster Live and other older cards), but it requires proprietary firmware for the headphone surround effects.

Yeah that's why I asked, exactly because of ASUS's lack of support for anything other than USB DAC abilities on Linux. Hopefully Steam and SteamOS will start to get Linux on the map for these companies.

Dec 7, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #3,235 of 4,136
Hi all,

Newb question. I've read a tremendous amount and I'm still processing it all. I did use the search function.

This question is for Nameless and whomever thinks they have some insight:
Is it possible to use CSS3D with an Xfi Xtreme Music soundcard and a GAmecom 780 usb headset?

He had instructions for usb on windows but I understood that as intended for when the Creative soundcard is directly outputting to a usb device. In my setup, the I have the soundcard, but my GAmecom 780 is attached to anyone of the usb ports on my tower.

Thanks in advance.

Leroy Jones

Dec 9, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #3,236 of 4,136

Hey guys,

First, I can't decide between the Philips Fidelio X2 and the AKG K712. The general consensus that I've found is that the K712s has more detail and better sound stage then the X2, but the X2 has better bass and is considered a better all round headphone. My biggest concern is the apparent difference in sound stage and detail. Can anyone who has tried gaming with both of these provide some input on this?

Second, What would be the best amp/dac combo within a $400-$500 budget for either of these headphones? Since I will be using the headphones exclusively for gaming, surround would seem like a given thing to have, but I've read mixed reviews on stereo vs surround, so I'm still on the fence whether it's worth having or not. Some of the options I'm considering are: Schiit magni, modi, or asgrad 2 with the modi(since the modi has optical input to plug into soundcard). Audio GD 11.32, Sound blaster X7, and the CEntrance DACmini(currently on massdrop for $400).

Thanks,
Alex

Dec 9, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #3,238 of 4,136
I'm getting the Philips Fidelio X2 really can't decide what to go with for it (Fulla, Modi/magni stack or maybe the o2 combo). Maybe can go for a tube amp if anyone recommends them for the Fidellio's.

Also want surround sound so was thinking Soundblaster card(rather the creative surround solutions to the Dolby Surround as seems a bit echoy).

Sound Blaster Z -> Optical -> Modi -> Magni -> X2

Haven't found much info on people using the Modi/Magni with the X2 or even the X1 not sure how it fairs really (if needed).

I want a good experience with surround and a good quality sound for gaming, movies and music. So why I've done the dac/amp stack with the surround from a graphics card. South Card has a optical out so can bypass the soundcard when needed.

I'm not exactly sure how it's done but below is what I read somewhere and would like to re-create it if possible. Also wondering if can do this with a creative product rather than the Asus the guy mentions.

If you get the optical version of the Modi, you can pass the DSP settings (including dolby headphone) to the Modi. That way, you leave digital the processing up to the DAC, but allow the Asus card/software to apply the effects.

Result is improved sound quality and surround effect. You would need to turn off all DSP settings for playing music though.

Dec 9, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #3,239 of 4,136
If you are getting the sound blaster z and alao getting a magni/modi....just get the sound blaster z. Ive been told that the Z card sounds equal to the modi/magni combo....so you really are just sidegrading more than upgrading the sound. Plus X2 dont really nees to be amped, the Z card already has 600ohm amp and the 30ohm X2 can even be driven by an iphone.

Dec 9, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #3,240 of 4,136
If you are getting the sound blaster z and alao getting a magni/modi....just get the sound blaster z. Ive been told that the Z card sounds equal to the modi/magni combo....so you really are just sidegrading more than upgrading the sound. Plus X2 dont really nees to be amped, the Z card already has 600ohm amp and the 30ohm X2 can even be driven by an iphone.
Maybe he wants the modi/magni for music?

But yeah. I agree on just getting the SBZ first and that the X2 doesn't require amping. If you don't like the SBZ dac, then get the MM Stack. Or even the Fulla just for music output

Users who are viewing this thread

Back