the mystical powers of ICs...yes, they do make a difference in sound...but what are we truly paying for?!?!?
Nov 18, 2015 at 1:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

1TrickPony

Headphoneus Supremus
I had recently purchased an Alo Rx amp, which happens to be my very first amp (and most likely my last), but had not received my IC stereo jumper at the same time. As such, I went over my local audio store to ask for a m2m 1/8 incher. A week later, I get the Fiio L16 through the mail, as well as a 40$ Oyaide (MSS???) thrown in to appease my suffering.

I found my impressions to be the following:

The 40$ Oyaide had the least space, soundstage and least coherent overall imaging. Bass definition suffered.

The Fiio was just slightly better, but lacked the proper (relatively speaking) soundstage.

The god knows what 9$ cable (don't remember what it was made of) sounded GREAT. The instrument placement felt right, with the right virtual distance, making them sound like they are playing in a garage. (Think Blue Album Weezer with their BIG SATURATED WARM CRUNCHY TUBE AMPS!) Everything didn't sound convoluted. I had the best end to end extension with this one.

I was thinking of buying something else that'd cost more 50 to 100+$ but felt afraid that in the end, I'm throwing cash away if I'm so super impressed with what I was hearing through something that'd look embarassing in the portable gear forum.

Quick update: 
The god-knows-what 9$ cable sound gets cut off, and the strain reliefs near the jack are slowly tearing open but yet, they remain consistent with the end2end clarity.

update #2:
bought a digiflex stereo jumper cable, like the GKW9$ cable, these ones are LONG, and less flexible to their quality tire like sheaths...but man, the soundstage sounds spacious enough to not sound constraint and the music flows with great ease!!!

What's my point? maybe the cables too can contribute too (through impedance?!?!?). I'm curious as what others have experience with them. I like to look cool too but man, I figured that as a guitar player, since digiflex makes quality cables for guitars into amps, they should work fine for (less) portable setups lol.

It's not simply details that they market it with, it's got to do with the length as well <------that's wat she said!

(*end of brain fart)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back