The most downright depressive song you have ever heard
Feb 28, 2010 at 6:55 AM Post #16 of 98
RedSky0 has a hat-trick of classical depression there - great choices.

I'll go some other directions here:

The Innocence Mission - "Umbrella"
Antony & The Johnsons - "The Lake"
Woven Hand - "Animalitos (Ain't No Sunshine When She's Gone)"
Morrisey - "Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me"

I love Fado music and much of that music is very sad. Too many to list...too many great artists there.

Feb 28, 2010 at 9:14 AM Post #18 of 98
well, I disagree with picking Adagio in G.

That piece is not on the downside at all, it's just a beautiful soothing composition, nothing more.

As for the Sade, yes it could be, it's pretty sad.

However, this is the kind of stuff I'm referring to:

Bleak, no way out, straight out of the gutter:

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Feb 28, 2010 at 9:56 AM Post #19 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by jax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RedSky0 has a hat-trick of classical depression there - great choices.

Thanks, what can I say, guess I'm a pretty depressing guy
bigsmile_face.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Li Ching Yuen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, I disagree with picking Adagio in G.

That piece is not on the downside at all, it's just a beautiful soothing composition, nothing more.

To be honest I am biased, I just watched Platoon for the first time a couple of days ago.

EDIT - Oh woops, confused which one you meant. Kind of agree with you on that one.

Feb 28, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #22 of 98

lolz

Oh, and

Feb 28, 2010 at 2:04 PM Post #23 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ynoskire /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That really got me.....

Feb 28, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #24 of 98
Forgot I was meaning to spam this thread with non-classical stuff too!

Feb 28, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #26 of 98
Here is a song that effects me deeply. More lyrically than anything else.
I lost both my Grandmothers last year, so this really gets me.

"God's Gallipoli" by Poi Dog Pondering (From Pomegranate, 1995)
Funny, you can bob you head to the music, but the lyrics will just tear you apart...
Here's an excerpt:

Take me in one swoop God, don't let me dwindle.
I watched the light leave my mother's bed-sick eyes.
She's so scared--once gone, I kissed her cheek,
And the cold of her skin held on my lips.
It's hard to think, "So this is how it ends?
Stretched out on a bed sheet,
Sorting through a wreckage of regrets."

Here's a video of Frank Orrall performing the song solo (looks to be an impromptu performance with his family or something. Wonderful.)

Well, you asked for it.
wink.gif

Feb 28, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #27 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWuss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is a song that effects me deeply. More lyrically than anything else.
I lost both my Grandmothers last year, so this really gets me.

"God's Gallipoli" by Poi Dog Pondering (From Pomegranate, 1995)
Funny, you can bob you head to the music, but the lyrics will just tear you apart...
Here's an excerpt:

Take me in one swoop God, don't let me dwindle.
I watched the light leave my mother's bed-sick eyes.
She's so scared--once gone, I kissed her cheek,
And the cold of her skin held on my lips.
It's hard to think, "So this is how it ends?
Stretched out on a bed sheet,
Sorting through a wreckage of regrets."

Here's a video of Frank Orrall performing the song solo (looks to be an impromptu performance with his family or something. Wonderful.)

Well, you asked for it.
wink.gif

It's a beautiful song, nice melody.

But it really doesn't hold a candle to the ones I posted or some others in this thread.

From the lyrics point of view, yes, it could be quite a downer.

Feb 28, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #28 of 98
RedSky0 - once again, a great set of selections. You and I have similar tastes in music. Clint Mansell's "Moon" soundtrack was outstanding. Trespasser's William was one I was going to mention but did not - they are now local to me having moved up to Seattle from the Bay Area.

I have a YouTube embedding question to anyone who can help me: I can't seem to embed videos properly. Every time I copy the "embed" code from a YouTube video, then place it between the YouTube markup tags that HeadFi provides here's what happens - the video I embed is visible and functions perfectly in preview, but then when I post it all that is visible is the markup language - no video. What am I doing wrong. Here, let me try right here with another depressing selection and you'll see what I'm talking about and perhaps can correct what I'm doing wrong. If I don't edit this and say otherwise, the video I'm posting shows up just fine in the "preview" mode, but will be as you see it when I post.

A few other thoughts:

Golden Palaminos - "Dead Inside"
Mazzy Star - (which DOES indeed show up in my preview as the video link...but just watch when I post it) Just about anything by them.

Feb 28, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #29 of 98
Just select the YOUTUBE tag in the options.

And in those tags copy the string of characters after the watch and "=" in the youtube url (not the embedded form).

Quote one of the guys that managed to post youtube vids accurately, and follow the code there.

Feb 28, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #30 of 98
Hmm...well Nine Inch Nails' stuff is pretty much the only thing that comes to mind that I could really call depressing, but NIN gets pretty deeply depressing.

Hurt by NIN/Johnny Cash...can't decide which version I like more, but Johnny Cash's version is probably more depressing.
Lights In The Sky is probably the most depressing in my library, however...
In This Twilight/Zero-Sum (and they go very well together) definitely affect me more when I listen to them, but they're more hopeful than depressing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back