The Most Amazing Mashup I've Ever Heard or Seen
Mar 17, 2009 at 3:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

DrBenway

Headphoneus Supremus
I found a link to this on one of the music blogs. I was initially skeptical, becase I find nearly all mashups to be clever at best, and usually not even that. The best I had previously heard was Danger Mouse's astonishing conflation of Jay-Z's Black Album and the Beatles's White Album. The vid below is just one track, not an entire album, obviously, but it is absolutely astounding. I tried to count the edits, and gave up with a laugh within 30 seconds.

The track is called "The Mother of all Funk Chords." Maybe the best thing I could say about this is that, like the DMouse Gray Album, the music stands completely on its own. Absolutely amazing.

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

I may be late to the party on this one; please let me know if there are other threads. I did search on the title and came up empty.

Mar 17, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #4 of 17
Me likey!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 17, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Afro_Rebel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The guy with the harmonica was playing/singing at a much slower rhythm than the other musicians, and it was rather annoying. Other than that, it was very good.

I've heard a couple of other people point that out as well. Definitely a flaw. Still, an amazing piece of work overall.

Edit: I wonder if that was just exhaustion on the producer's part. He could have cut samples of the harp player and synched them to the audio and video track. You can see how he did that with both the set drummer (Bernard Purdy!) and the conga player, and, I think, the bass player.

Mar 17, 2009 at 7:25 AM Post #8 of 17
For some good mash-ups check out The Legion of Doom. this CS:S frag video has 2 songs by them:

YouTube - CSS: Devour the Movie

Also some amazing CS:S playing by Devour.

Mar 17, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #9 of 17
Wow...that was impressive!

Mar 17, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #10 of 17
Really nice!

Mar 18, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by rich1122 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
YouTube - Alice

You know, I always did wonder what our girl was drinking at that tea party...obviously something good. Heehee. But the synching of the animation to the audio is excellent. All of these sorts of mashups make me want to know what software was used for the edits!!

Mar 18, 2009 at 10:45 AM Post #13 of 17
Cool video. But I have to say I find just about all mashups (I haven't found one yet, actually) extremely unpleasant. Something about them makes me physically queasy, especially with songs that you know that are diced up and skewed. I find listening to them distracting. I had the "Gray Album" and hated it. Someone made a great video from one track which I thought was amazing and I thought the album would be, too. But the album was awful. Maybe mashups just work better as videos, since musically they're just disorienting. And I don't think the music from this video would stand on its own as anything impressive.

Mar 19, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #14 of 17
Haha, this video is the bomb. But I agree without the visual the music is not really that amazing.

Mar 19, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool video. But I have to say I find just about all mashups (I haven't found one yet, actually) extremely unpleasant. Something about them makes me physically queasy, especially with songs that you know that are diced up and skewed. I find listening to them distracting. I had the "Gray Album" and hated it. Someone made a great video from one track which I thought was amazing and I thought the album would be, too. But the album was awful. Maybe mashups just work better as videos, since musically they're just disorienting. And I don't think the music from this video would stand on its own as anything impressive.

I differ with you on the Gray Album; maybe I can't separate my amazement at the technical accomplishment from my assessment of it as music, but I do enjoy it (especially what DM did with "While My Guitar..."). But I definitely see your point about the disorienting effect of mashups in general. I don't find this unpleasant, but I certainly recognize the effect.

I wonder if this is more generally related to paradigm shifts or innovations in music. I well remember the reactions to punk of listeners and musicians raised on rock or jazz. It wasn't so much that they didn't like it; it was more that they couldn't even really hear the music in something so different from what they were accustomed to. They were looking for the Beatles in the Sex Pistols, and, well, that's a futile search from the jump. Because they were looking for reference points that were familiar to them, they couldn't hear what was new and different, and ultimately valuable in the new sound. I could have easily written those same words about the reaction of traditional musicians/listeners to hip-hop or techno.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back