The more I listen to the K701 the more I appreciate it
Jun 28, 2006 at 12:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

kin0kin

Headphoneus Supremus
The K701 ain't perfect, but after listening and owning a bunch of different headphones, I've found that the K701 has the best price to performance/quality ratio and it does everything pretty well. The K701 has a fair amount of treble and bass, music sounds bright when it's suppose to sound bright but never overly bright, and music sounds warm when it's suppose to sound warm but not overly warm. Everything is about "just right", even the price is fairly priced. I've decided to build my system around the K701, and I've found that the K701 synergize very well with the PPA which gives it a very wide soundstage and tightens the sound as a whole.

Jun 28, 2006 at 12:29 AM Post #2 of 34
yep, the K701 is definately the most utilitarian headpohne I've ever owned. Makes for a perfect companion for a DIYer as its blank canavas-like sensibility makes it very sensitive to all the tweaks applied on the signal side
icon10.gif

Jun 28, 2006 at 12:59 AM Post #3 of 34
kin0kin, I agree 110%. I was ready to purchase some RS-2's to try out the Grado sound, but I have a feeling that I may be disappointed; then again maybe I won't.
tongue.gif
I don't know if it's the K701's breaking in, or it's my ears that are burning in. All I know is that I am really satisfied with this set of cans. The K701's pump out a crapload of bass on DVD movies as well.

Jun 28, 2006 at 1:19 AM Post #5 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
You will not be disapointed with the RS-2. It is a fantastic can and for $400 used a great unit.

Hey hey now; no brainwashing allowed on this thread!
icon10.gif

For my comment (I think I'm at 1,000 posts right here...could be wrong though), I totally agree 120% (
tongue.gif
) that the K701 is a true jack-of-all-trades, yet can do it above and beyond many other similarily-priced headphones imo.

EDIT: awww, two more posts away = \

Jun 28, 2006 at 1:38 AM Post #6 of 34
I've never heard of the RS-2 but i've got the RS-1. I've tried listening to my RS-1 a little while ago with some Rammstein and other heavy metal. I found that the phone lacks some weight on the bass strings, basically around the mid bass region. Hence, the RS-1 sounds rather "clean" but on some music they sound a little "raw". Not sure if that's something you are looking for. The RS-2 is a little warmer I believe.

I bought the RS-1 on a whim as I found that it does some music darn well, I was sold by the RS-1 + Hotel California (i dont mind keeping a phone just for that track
tongue.gif
) It's a great compliment to my K701.

The K701 does all kinds of music for me, though being a variation of the hd6x0/dt880, the K701 sorta hit my sweetspot for this kind of sound signature. The 650 totally didn't do rock for me, the bass was phat and slow and the treble roll-off just made rock musics lack the "oohmmmpp". The k701's bass is faster and punchier than the 650 though it doesn't seem to hit as deep but it's not by a very large margin. The k701 is also not as laid back as the 650, vocal is smooth and upfront, slightly lusher than what I'd like but with the proper source and amp one could tune it to fit your taste. With the PPA and 1212m, I find the vocal on my 701 to be alot tighter and has better resolution than before.

The dt880 also didn't do it for me, the 880 has a higher treble peak than the 701 to my ears, bass was similar to the 6x0 but doesn't seem to hit as deep, and vocal doesn't have 701/6x0's resolution. All three of them do sound pretty similar, but all these little difference shouldn't be overlooked.

Jun 28, 2006 at 7:57 AM Post #10 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
You will not be disapointed with the RS-2. It is a fantastic can and for $400 used a great unit.

Yeah man, but try to find second hand one. Rare as hens teeth, so it seems. I'm itching to get pair myself, but no luck...

Jun 28, 2006 at 9:48 AM Post #11 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by kin0kin
The K701 ain't perfect, but after listening and owning a bunch of different headphones, I've found that the K701 has the best price to performance/quality ratio and it does everything pretty well. The K701 has a fair amount of treble and bass, music sounds bright when it's suppose to sound bright but never overly bright, and music sounds warm when it's suppose to sound warm but not overly warm. Everything is about "just right", even the price is fairly priced. I've decided to build my system around the K701, and I've found that the K701 synergize very well with the PPA which gives it a very wide soundstage and tightens the sound as a whole.

Good!
k701smile9ga.gif

K701 is one of the best and unbelieveable quality/price ratio headphone: warm and analytical, wonderful soundstage, pleasant and complete sound and kinda electrostatic and natural detail.

You're right to develop your system around them.
wink.gif

happy listening

Andrew

Jun 28, 2006 at 10:35 AM Post #12 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey
Ugh, here I was all set to get the HD 650, and now this thread pops up and makes me reconsider once again.

I'm in the same dilemma.

Jun 28, 2006 at 10:44 AM Post #13 of 34
This thread has a lot of "K701 Vs RS-2" stuff going on, and I find this very interesting.

I am bouncing between RS-2 and K701 for my "final" cans.

Since I am going from; and am very fond of; my MS-1s, I would like to know:

Which phone is "closest to" the MS-1?

Is the MS-1 more neutral; like the K702, or more foreward, warm and lively, like the RS-2?

....or whatever criteria best describes which of the two is closest in sonic characteristics between the K701 and RS-2, and the MS-1.

------------------------------------

There might be enough interest on this question that it may deserve it's own thread.

Jun 28, 2006 at 11:11 AM Post #14 of 34
I've just caved in and ordered a pair. Am looking forward to comparing it with my trusty DT880
580smile.gif

I'd love to hear a pair of K1000's though, really do wish I'd pulled the trigger a few months ago when there were still some new units available
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back