The MMA thread (Affliction, UFC, DREAM, Strikeforce, etc.)
Dec 27, 2008 at 6:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1,080

DestradoImpulse

Head-Fier
I know there's has to be a following on Head-Fi just that a lot of people are closet fans for whatever reason. Tomorrow's card should be incredible with two title fights, a grudge match and other matchups that have highlight heel written all over them. Nonetheless here are my predictions:

Antonio Rodrigo Noguiera vs. Frank Mir
Mir is overmatched in this fight in all aspects. Minotauro has a proven record of submission wins, solid boxing skills, great cardio, great chin and of course the heart to keep on pushing. Mir's best chance of winning before he most likely gasses is to push the action early and hope to catch Noguiera sometime in the first round otherwise it's Noguiera's ballpark.

Forrest Griffin vs. Rashad Evans
Tough fight to call since there's no clue on how each guy might approach the fight. Griffin is more methodical in his striking and not as wreckless as he used to be but has no KO power. Likewise Evans is a solid, strong wrestler with solid but unpolished hands and questionable cardio. My guess is that Evans' camp will devise a better gameplan for him than Griffin's camp would. Greg Jackson has made two solid fighters into stars and turn GSP into an even bigger monster with solid gameplans. Griffin has a better chance of winning in the later rounds but he'll have to weather an early storm and questionable beforehand.

Wanderlei Silva vs. Quinton "Rampage" Jackson
The most curious aspect of this match is that the odds are still virtually even after all of what's happened to Rampage over the last few months. Rampage is a head case with an unproven camp while Silva seems to be on the rebound with an excellent camp and already has two brutal wins over Rampage already. The oddsmakers either know something that we don't or banking on an intangible like hate for each other to justiify making the odds even but we'll find out tomorrow. Otherwise we haven't seen Rampage improve on his Muay Thai defense and Silva still hits every bit as hard as he's known for so Silva by second round TKO.

Dec 27, 2008 at 2:10 PM Post #2 of 1,080
All good calls Destrado. These would be my picks exactly. The only flukey one will probably be the Silva/Jackson fight. Silva, to me, just doesn't seem to be the fighter he was in Pride. He was a monster in there. Maybe he's off the juice or something who knows but he just appears down or old or weaker or something to me at least. I love him though. He's a legend and always a nice guy. Jackson on the other hand after that goofy fight with and loss to Griffin(which was probably fixed IMO), is ready to go on a "rampage" LOL. I bet Jackson will be looking for that Mui Thai clench and those devestating knees this time huh? lol
Should be a fun night...later

Dec 27, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #3 of 1,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fido2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All good calls Destrado. These would be my picks exactly. The only flukey one will probably be the Silva/Jackson fight. Silva, to me, just doesn't seem to be the fighter he was in Pride. He was a monster in there.

X2

Wanderlei Silva hasn't been the same for quite some time. Actually, he didn't do well in his last fights in Pride either. There've been lots of rumors about his shape and bad performance here in Brazil, but some people do think he is decadent.

BTW, Minotauro is THE man.
biggrin.gif

Dec 27, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #4 of 1,080
Silva v. Rampage is anyone's match, imo. Rampage overall game has improved a lot since the Pride days, he seemed to train pretty hard prior to coming to the UFC. And Silva hasn't been the same since Crocop kicked him in the head in the open-weight GP. I expect the fight to be much more even than the last two times.

Dec 28, 2008 at 9:43 AM Post #6 of 1,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewsvt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2

Wanderlei Silva hasn't been the same for quite some time. Actually, he didn't do well in his last fights in Pride either. There've been lots of rumors about his shape and bad performance here in Brazil, but some people do think he is decadent.

BTW, Minotauro is THE man.
biggrin.gif

It must of been tough being a Brazilian fan after what happened tonight.
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Watching Silva get KOed was painful but watching Noguiera "lose" was the absolute worst to a guy who's only known for BJJ.

Dec 28, 2008 at 1:58 PM Post #8 of 1,080
Interesting that of the top PRIDE fighters (besides Fedor) only Rampage Jackson has had success in UFC.......others have been big disappointments

Shogun Rua
Dan Henderson
Cro Cop
Vanderlei Silva
Antonio Rodrigo Noguiera

Anyone have a theory why the poor showing by PRIDE fighters?

Most people thought after Chuck Liddell got stomped by Rampage Jackson in cameo PRIDE appearance they would dominate UFC after merger

Dec 28, 2008 at 2:38 PM Post #9 of 1,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by DestradoImpulse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It must of been tough being a Brazilian fan after what happened tonight.
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Watching Silva get KOed was painful but watching Noguiera "lose" was the absolute worst to a guy who's only known for BJJ.

Silva has been disappointing... I didn't expect much from him. Nogueira is an awesome fighter, probably one of the most technical I've seen. But fights are fights, you don't win just by the odds or by your records.
icon10.gif

Dec 28, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #10 of 1,080
DarkAngel,
You know I have often wondered myself why the Pride guys have made such a lackluster showing in UFC. I expected CroCop to kick butt but he got punked quickly. And Griffin beating Shogun? I never expected that. Maybe there is some behind the scenes "planning" going on or maybe UFC is just such a huge difference in competition. Maybe the cage and the different rules have hurt them or their training has been substandard. Hard to say.

Dec 28, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #11 of 1,080
I am happy to admit I went 0-3 in picks last night. Rampage winning wasn't a huge surprise, but I thought Nog was the sure shot. Started to look good for my last pick with Forrest dominating the action early only to go up in smoke.

I would give you my true opinion of the Pride/UFC debate, but it would probably lead in a negative direction, so I'll leave it alone. Suffice it to say, the perception of Pride being the better organization overall was always way off base.

Dec 28, 2008 at 10:23 PM Post #13 of 1,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting that of the top PRIDE fighters (besides Fedor) only Rampage Jackson has had success in UFC.......others have been big disappointments

Shogun Rua
Dan Henderson
Cro Cop
Vanderlei Silva
Antonio Rodrigo Noguiera

Anyone have a theory why the poor showing by PRIDE fighters?

Most people thought after Chuck Liddell got stomped by Rampage Jackson in cameo PRIDE appearance they would dominate UFC after merger

Shogun had a debilitating knee injury before the fight that required surgery right afterwards. This was supposed to be a stepping for him but we all know how hit-or-miss LHW has been.

Decision Dan shouldn't be discredited since it was against legitimate champions in both divisions. His wrestling gave Rampage fits, was the best chance in MW against Anderson Silva and beat a very game Palhares.

I'll give you Crocop since he didn't take his matches seriously in the UFC. He even admiitted he didn't train for elbow strikes at all. Fedor was spot on when he said that Crocop has no heart especially after he loses and its reared it's ugly head on several occasions.

Wanderlei Silva looks done.

Noguiera has done well until yesterdays performance. Herring dropped him with a HK but he dominated the rest of that fight. Against Sylvia he showed his patented ability to take damage and catch a limb in the process for a submission. Yesterday the fight was stopped early but that's typical of Herb Dean.

P.S. The Pride/UFC fighters debate is asinine. We could discuss MMA Math all day long and still get nowhere with it.

Dec 29, 2008 at 1:20 AM Post #14 of 1,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fido2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go ahead Eye...I'd like to hear your opinions. You got to have feelings to hurt em...LOL

Watered down competition in Pride. Hate to say it, but most Pride fighters padded their records with substandard Japanese opponents. Wandy being the most obvious example:

Fought 15 times against japanese opponents, won all 15. The early part of his MMA career was mostly against no-names as well. Of his first 14 fights, only two opponents have any MMA significance, Tito Ortiz and Vitor Belfort. Guess what? He lost to both. 15-0 against japanese fighters, 17-9 against the rest.

Dan Henderson - 8-1 against japanese fighters. 14-7 against the rest.

Nog - 6-0-1 against japanese. 25-5 against the rest.

Rua - 5-0 & 11-3 respectively.

Cro Cop - 10-0-1 & 13-6-1.

In summary: 44-1-2 against japanese fighters, 80-30-1 against everyone else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back