The Millett Starving Student Tube Thread.
Oct 18, 2008 at 3:35 AM Post #16 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope - both clearly are single square types.

Upon further inspection....
The side horseshoe getter Sylvania have plates that are black and the RCA has plates that are more like a dark grey.
Both are directly on the Mica.

I did find one variance between the CA and the Non-CA marked Sylvania tubes. The one that is not as bright has an extra 1mm x 0.5mm piece of metal coming from the side of the "filament" (the glowing center piece), in the center, at the top. It is far too tiny to take pics of and barely noticible. The CA tube has a slightly shorter overall "filament" than the Non-CA. Otherwise identical.

Must be a refelection.

Gray plates have a reputation as generally being brighter and less refined than black plates .... so go figure???

Oct 18, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #17 of 33
Hi All -

I just received 8 - 19J6 tubes in the mail from "Tube Center" (excellent service by the way)... they are all RCAs and from what I have read above are D getters. Before I try to take pictures and post them in this thread; I'm wondering what is the best (read that as "safest") method to clean the glass - it's a little cloudy (I suspect from age); is regular glass cleaner ok?... or, do I need something more exotic. Sorry, if this seems like a dumb question; but, I'm new to diy and tubes (an SSH will be my first tube built).

Regards,

Oct 18, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by sandbasser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi All -

I just received 8 - 19J6 tubes in the mail from "Tube Center" (excellent service by the way)... they are all RCAs and from what I have read above are D getters. Before I try to take pictures and post them in this thread; I'm wondering what is the best (read that as "safest") method to clean the glass - it's a little cloudy (I suspect from age); is regular glass cleaner ok?... or, do I need something more exotic. Sorry, if this seems like a dumb question; but, I'm new to diy and tubes (an SSH will be my first tube built).

Regards,

Is the cloudiness you mention the darkish deposit on the side / top of the tube? If so, that is the getter deposit inside the tube. A rag to wipe off the tube will clean off any dirt or dust outside the tube.

Oct 20, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #20 of 33
Thanks for starting this thread. I had no idea how many different versions of this tube there are.

So, I'm collecting the parts to build a SS and I just got a pair of tubes from the Tube Center. One of them is clearly a horizontal halo RCA, just like #5. The other is a horizontal square getter RCA--the lettering is pretty much worn away, so I'm not sure which one I've got.

What do you think, should I order a couple more and ask for a construction matched pair? Or just proceed with the build and see what happens? Anyone had un-musical or unpleasant experiences when mixing different types of tubes?

Thanks!

Oct 20, 2008 at 5:30 AM Post #21 of 33
In my experience, matching the tubes makes a difference as each sounds a bit different from the other.

Best of Luck!

Also Try Clem Electronics and see if they can get you matches for those two you have along with maybe some NU tubes
very_evil_smiley.gif
?

Oct 27, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #23 of 33
I posted this in the main starving student thread, but I found this thread and thought it maybe should belong here, so if people don't want a lot of pics in the main thread I'll take them off of there I guess, don't want to make any dialup people mad.

I found a lot of 7 RCA tubes from a guy in NJ for $3 ea. and figured why not? and bought them all.

1027081433.jpg

1027081434.jpg

1027081508-1.jpg

pictures aren't that great since they came from my phone...
If the boxes are correct, from left to right the dates are 5-1956, 9-1960 and the box of 5 are from 4-1970

Nov 16, 2008 at 7:40 AM Post #24 of 33
Finally got my tubes after ordering them from an eBay seller. Here's what I got:

DSC_3130.jpg

DSC_3132.jpg

DSC_3127.jpg

DSC_3137.jpg

I ordered 6 of them and 1 was damaged so its getting replaced. Anyway, 5 out of the 6 are "Top Square Getters" and one is a "Side D Getter".

BRAND: Raytheon
STYLE: Top Square Getter
DISTINGUISHING MARKS: Yellow Text (Raytheon Made in U.S.A, Licensed As Stated On Carton, and two 3-digit numbers), 19J6 is a whitish/grey text, and alpha-numertic embossing at base of tube glass.

DSC_3141.jpg

DSC_3143.jpg

DSC_3144.jpg

Inside the carton:

DSC_3177.jpg

DSC_3145.jpg

Other tubes #'s:
  1. Above / Below
  2. 280 / 604
  3. 280 / 526
  4. 280 / 609
  5. 280 / 604

DSC_3154.jpg

DSC_3157.jpg

DSC_3159.jpg

Other tubes #'s
  1. Inside Center - Inside Near Edge / Outside Edge (directly opposite of Inside Near Edge)
  2. N - L / 16
  3. N - L / 5
  4. N - K / 3
  5. N - JL / 16

DSC_3160.jpg

DSC_3162.jpg

Finally the single tube...

BRAND: Raytheon
STYLE: Side "D" Getter
DISTINGUISHING MARKS: Yellow Text (Raytheon Made in U.S.A, Licensed As Stated On Carton, and two 3-digit numbers), 19J6 is a whitish/grey text, and alpha-numertic embossing at base of tube glass.

DSC_3164.jpg

DSC_3167.jpg

DSC_3169.jpg

Nov 18, 2008 at 5:56 AM Post #28 of 33
Some people have tube checking meters.

If you don't (like I don't). I plugged them in, turned them on and then measured the different points on the tube relative to ground. The voltage here is relatively low, so there really isn't that much danger involved. However, it is AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Jan 16, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #29 of 33
Just posting to say that the Raytheon Top Square Getter tubes are the same tube as the Sylvania Top Square getter.

So save yourself some money and get whichever is cheaper. IMO it is the best tube I have come across.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back