The Mike Oldfield Thread.
May 1, 2008 at 5:12 PM Post #61 of 78
...has a Tangerine Dream reference been mentioned?
biggrin.gif

Apr 9, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #62 of 78
To bump this thread. In case there are any multitudinous or singular of you who don't pop in to tubular.net from time to time and haven't heard the news. Mr Oldfield's back catalogue has now been moved from Virgin to his new label and there is to be a comprehensive and proper series of re-issues of each of his albums. This I hope will be a godsend for the uber fussy of us who already own at least 2 copies of each album (pre and post virgin 2000 HDCD remasters) on CD but who might not be happy with one or the other.

I've been working on my own personal remaster of Tubular Bells for several weeks (gradually) and I have high hopes for these reissues.

Mike Oldfield Forums::Summer of the bell

Apr 19, 2009 at 5:54 AM Post #65 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tubular Bells: dated and pretentious

Laz

Hey, TB was used in parts of the Exorcist and is a classic album, Hergest Ridge is good too. Saying TB is pretentious is the same as saying Mozart's Requiem is pretentious IMO.

Apr 19, 2009 at 5:57 AM Post #66 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by adanac061 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
..What are the top 3 Oilfield studio albums I should Listen to next...??

Hergest Ridge is his next best and then Ommadawn but I don't know after that album.

Apr 19, 2009 at 6:12 AM Post #67 of 78
Quote:

I love tubular bells , and tubular bells II .(obviously) ..oh and the song Moonlight shadow.

Thanks.

PS.. has anyone ever played the Oldfield VR game ?

The games are quite weak, but idly enjoyable.

I'd go for Songs Of Distant Earth and Ommadawn, but first, Amarok.

Apr 19, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #68 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hergest Ridge is his next best and then Ommadawn but I don't know after that album.

Hergest Ridge was my least favorite at least until the mid 80s. IMO his albums started going down hill after Five Miles Out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The games are quite weak, but idly enjoyable.

I'd go for Songs Of Distant Earth and Ommadawn, but first, Amarok.

x2. I bought Amarok on a whim when I saw it at a record store and saw that it was one track. I love it. I haven't heard Songs of Distant Earth yet. It's something I'll probably buy in the next 6 months or so.

Apr 19, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #69 of 78
This thread made me realize that I have not listened to Tubular bells in years. I just had to pick it up and have a listen through my old Grundig cans. Tonights performance is a lot better than last time I listened.

Apr 19, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #70 of 78
Mike's works are something magnificent.

Funny to read my own year-old comments when I was really just starting my fascination towards Mike. Unfortunately Tubular Bells has been burned in. There may have been a few plays too much. Now it feels dull and too familiar. Luckily the next two are still going strong.
L3000.gif

To adanac: Five Miles Out somehow jumped into mind. It's superb album in the crossover of the 70s' art prog and the 80s' vocal pop & prog. It's just excellent.

The real problem with Mike's music is that the old pressings are quite rare around here. All the CDs I see selling are the virgin remasters (very bad). I've been looking for eg Hergest Ridge for a year now but a single older CD pressing (pre-virgin remaster) has not been around.

Feb 18, 2010 at 3:49 AM Post #72 of 78
Just to bump this thread, in case no Oldfield fan knows about it, with links to the Tommes cover of the entire Ommadawn album.

Part 1

Part 2

Ommadawnea

(links to *right click, save as* on the pages linked. 4th line down).

Feb 22, 2010 at 9:55 AM Post #75 of 78
Quote:

Music of the Spheres, Amarok, Ommadawn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back