The Matriculation Examination
Sep 15, 2008 at 4:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

progo

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello there.
beerchug.gif

This Friday some (not many) Finns are put up with their graduation exams in English language. Matriculation exam, or A-levels, if you know the thing. I'm performing it, too. I'm just a little afraid how it's going to end. I feel somewhat certain about my skills, but too often I feel I make silly mistakes.
redface.gif

What non-English speaking countries are there with this kind of A-level testing of high school students? I'm especially interested to hear about those who are taking part to this in the near future. If there are other fellow Headfiers from Finland trying to study for this, stand up from the crowd. :p And others too, if you don't speak English natively.

Let's hope someone understands my horrible explanation.

Sep 15, 2008 at 4:32 PM Post #2 of 4
Your post tells me your English is just fine...

Anyway, I just want to wish progo and all in the same situation GOOD LUCK!

Sep 15, 2008 at 4:38 PM Post #3 of 4
Well, if the A-levels are anything like the ones in UK, you should have any problems. seriously, those things are ridiculously easy. What subject are you doing?

As for other countries, I can only speak of India. There is does depend on which school, and area you go to (english medium vs hindi medium) but all exams a in english medium are in english. Hell, i am not even sure if taking hindi to the equivilant of A-levels is neccesary anymore.

Anyway, good luck, an yes, your english seems very good indeed.

Sep 15, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #4 of 4
I'm sure there are certain differences between the A-levels and the Finnish matriculation exam system, but it's normally translated to one of these. I'm taking the advanced English along with other exams (including advanced math and physics). The exam is held twice a year and I planned to do the foreign languages this fall. Let's just hope I get a satisfying grade in English so I don't have to try it again in March.
smily_headphones1.gif

ADD 19/9/2008
I hate to bump this so I edit here.
It was today and the feel was generally very easy. I think it'll show in the grades, then. I feel like seeking after eximia cum laude (the second best grade) but there might be a severe possibility to get one of the lower grades due I might have written a bit off-topic in a composition essay.

Btw, found a nice article about the system in case you want to know more about. Doubt it, though.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matriculation_examination

Users who are viewing this thread

Back