The link 3...
Aug 4, 2001 at 10:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

ai0tron

Banned
I sold my Link Dac 3... Now my system sounds like crap.... (which reminds me chris if youre reading this your link3 is in the mail) I want to go to a cd-player only solution. Is it possible to get good sound this way??? The Denon 370 IMHO sounds CRAPPY without the Link and my digital processor helping it out. I think part of the reason why is because the link3 increased the strength of the line level signal. This is probably bad for my Denon for-sale ad but I have been tainted by the tastes of the higher end and cannot abide by the sound I hear out of my headphones now. Somebody help me. I was sold on the NJOE TJOEB but at the last minute I spent my money on a new monitor. So I have to wait awhile to get a new cdplayer. I figured I might as well research it here despite the fact that this question has been asked before. I mean we know best right? Headphoners know what equipment really sounds like, speaker people just think they do. Ok, so for under $1,000 dollars what would you guys be spinning plastic with?

Aug 4, 2001 at 11:04 PM Post #2 of 38
I'll kill two posts with one stone and tell you that Jude and I both recommend the Sony SCD-C333ES. Stereophile Class A Recommended, great Redbook player that also sounds phenomenal with SACDs. Built like a tank. List is $1200, but you can find it for around $550 since Sony has replaced it with a new model that is exactly the same except that it offers multi-channel output (>2) instead of stereo.

Aug 5, 2001 at 1:07 AM Post #6 of 38
w00t! That's my link dac he just mailed
smily_headphones1.gif
Anyway, good to know it's in the mail, and good to know your system sounds like crap without it...in a nice way of course.

Oh, um, cdp recs... I heard a 333es and it sounds really good. Didn't get to compare it directly to the denon though... Jude has both, so maybe he can answer it better.

Aug 5, 2001 at 2:37 AM Post #7 of 38
For that price, wouldn't getting a better DAC be a better upgrade? Like I dunno, a Link DAC Gold or Nelson?

I mean, how important is the transport really... the Denon seems just right...

Aug 5, 2001 at 3:07 AM Post #8 of 38
Quote:

Headphoners know what equipment really sounds like, speaker people just think they do.

that's dangerous, dude. It's also stereotypical, as I'm sure there are plenty of speaker listeners that know their stuff. I wouldn't go there. Not to pick any fights or anything, I'm just saying...

Aug 5, 2001 at 3:10 AM Post #9 of 38
The transport can be important for many reasons (ugh! Why aren't Headwize archives back yet?!). Some of the reasons include how well the laser pickup functions, reliability, error correction, build quality, and reduction of jitter. Using a portable CD player with an optical output, for example, is not an ideal situation; the portable CDP is very prone to jitter, the error-correction isn't the best-possible, and best sound quality is generally achieved using a coaxial out (don't have to worry about dust on either end of cable, imperfections in the fiberglass, etc.).

And, in any case, getting a stand-alone CDP is always more convenient!

Aug 5, 2001 at 3:16 AM Post #10 of 38
But, for the same price, you could be getting a more dramatic change in sound by getting a better DAC. With a CDP you have to spend money on the cd reading ability, laser, and all... with a DAC, it is just that, and is what mostly contributes to the sound.

And I am somewhat skeptic on the differences in transports. I mean, isn't a Denon's cd reading abilities and error correction/jitter sufficient?

Think about it. You have $1000 to spend....

Will you make more of a difference by buying a new CDP or getting a new DAC for your existing CDP, which is in itself pretty decent?

Besides, having a DAC looks 1337
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 5, 2001 at 3:31 AM Post #11 of 38
But spending $550 on a Sony SCD-C333ES allows one to play SACDs, which no DAC can do with a regular redbook transport. Plus, the Sony's redbook DAC is probably better than the Link DAC3, and probably nearly as good as (if not better than) the MSB Gold or a Bel Canto 1.1. With redbook DACs, perhaps it really would sound better just to use a DCM-370 with a great DAC.

Aug 5, 2001 at 7:14 AM Post #14 of 38
You guys brought up some interesting points. The main reason I want to go to a cdplayer only type of setup is to simplify the signal path. It tempts me to plan on buying a nice DAC for use with the dcm370... However I don't think it has a whole lot to offer even as a transport. Yes it's awesome for the price but I feel it lacks something. So far I think the sony 333/777 look decent. I dont know if I could afford the 777 anytime soon but if it's the only thing thatll make me happy i can wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back