The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Aug 9, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #7,173 of 8,352
Quote:
Ok, I'm seriously considering jumping on the S500 train.  I purchased the Creative Aurvana Lives a couple of weeks ago and have been enjoying them.  However, last night I did a side by side comparison with them against my Superlux HD681's and came to the conclusion that the bass on the CAL!'s are just not what I am looking for.  To my ears, the HD681's bass has much more impact and texture.  So, my question is, would the S500's bass be more along the lines of the HD681?  It's going to be tough to send the CAL!'s back because I love them for their comfort and performance on acoustic music.  However, in the end, I just gotta have the BASS (guess I'm a basshead and didn't know it).

Thanks!   

I had been opting to get myself the CAL! too, asked a friend who sells it about it and without batting an eye he said that the S500 is superior than the CAL!. If you've used the S500 and you go back to the CAL!'s, you'll notice that it's a little slower and mellow than the S500 (from his words). And he doesn't know why would I even consider downgrading to the CAL!'s.

I've never tried them yet, but I'd give it a shot if I were you.

Aug 9, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #7,174 of 8,352
I have and enjoy both the S500 and the CAL!.....so I'd say, get both! 
smile_phones.gif

Aug 9, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #7,175 of 8,352
Quote:
I have and enjoy both the S500 and the CAL!.....so I'd say, get both! 
smile_phones.gif

Thanks for the response.  I would LOVE to own both.  Unfortunately, finances are prohibitive
frown.gif
 so that is not an option.  If I didn't have the Superlux, I wouldn't have realized how much I was missing bass wise with the CAL!s (ignorance is bliss I guess).  I'm going to give them some more play time over the weekend to make sure.  I still have some time with Amazon before the 30 day refund period is up.

Thanks again (and to penmarker).

Aug 9, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #7,176 of 8,352
Quote:
Thanks for the response.  I would LOVE to own both.  Unfortunately, finances are prohibitive
frown.gif
 so that is not an option. 

Yeah, I know how that goes. 
redface.gif

Aug 10, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #7,177 of 8,352
I was weak and ordered a pair of JVC HA-500-Z yesterday in gunmetal.
I couldn´t resist when there is so many Head-Fier who praise it.

Is it better to burn in with pink noise & sinolog2 or with bassheavy music. I´m currently burning my pair of Nuforce NE-700M (improved version). I think I´m a basshead too
L3000.gif

Aug 10, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #7,178 of 8,352
Quote:

Is it better to burn in with pink noise & sinolog2 or with bassheavy music. I´m currently burning my pair of Nuforce NE-700M (improved version). I think I´m a basshead too
L3000.gif

Def. bass heavy music. And burn them in far longer than you think you need to. Let me know what you think of the NE-700's. I have an
old pair of NE-600's that are just spectacular as my workout IEM's paired with my gen 2 Nano and Fiio E6.

Aug 10, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #7,179 of 8,352
Quote:

L3000.gif

Congratz! Welcome to the club, nothing weak about it.
+1 for Moar Gunmetal.

Just wear them and listen to what you enjoy that is the best burn in IMHO.
beerchug.gif

Aug 10, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #7,180 of 8,352
Quote:

Yeah, I know how that goes. 
redface.gif

After further auditioning, I'm keeping the CAL!'s.  I was a little harsh on the bass earlier (it's not that bad).  Also, they are SO comfortable.  I've had problems with comfort in the past (i.e. S400), so I just don't want to return them.  Anyway, the S500's are going on my wish list.  Hope to get them when funds are available.  I do like the idea of having both (this is Head-Fi right).

Aug 10, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #7,181 of 8,352
Hey fellow S500 lovers,

It has been awhile! I have noobie question to ask everyone. I was thinking about picking up a FiiO E12, but my question is do the S500s really need amplification? I wanted a portable AMP anyways and will probably get one regardless, but I just wanted to know if it would make the sound of the S500s any better. Also, are there any other good portable Amps in the $150 range or lower?

Aug 10, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #7,183 of 8,352
Quote:
Hey fellow S500 lovers,

It has been awhile! I have noobie question to ask everyone. I was thinking about picking up a FiiO E12, but my question is do the S500s really need amplification? I wanted a portable AMP anyways and will probably get one regardless, but I just wanted to know if it would make the sound of the S500s any better. Also, are there any other good portable Amps in the $150 range or lower?

I don't notice the S500 sounding any better from an amp than they do right from a DAP, they are very easy to drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back