The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Jun 27, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #6,916 of 8,352
Ws55 pads by far are the best. I tried the ws55,akg, stock and others

Jun 27, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #6,917 of 8,352
I'm in!!! Achmed loaned me his s500's, and mine are on the way from Japan as I type. He was 110% correct about the $$$ vs SQ of these HP's. They are FUN!!!

Now, the funny thing is I own the ath-ws55 (a trade with Achmed). I'm going to try swapping the pads later to find out if the sound/comfort are to my liking. If not I'll stay stock. There's no way I'm modding my set to use full size pads, no matter the isolation or comfort they provide. These, as is, are comfy & sound fantastic.

Oh, yes,...I almost forgot. I own the hd25-1 II as well. I'll test those pads also. I prefer supra-aural to circumaural for most of my HP's. I just find they work nice for me. After the denon ah-d2000 that I used to own I prefer smaller sized cans.

Jun 27, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #6,918 of 8,352
Quote:

Mackem, one of these days you're going to have to submit a photo of you ears - they are becoming legendary!

I still think that you should get the S500's with the HM5 pads - I'm sure they are big enough to go over your ears. And they are comfortable (the stock pads on your ears may be uncomfortable - they are for me). And the HM5 pads tame the bass just a bit which tworks well with the S500's for me.

My ears are more long than anything (Ear lobes ever so slightly stuck out of the bottom of the DT770 Pros). Hard for me to find comfortable closed cans that sound good.

Jun 28, 2013 at 5:19 AM Post #6,920 of 8,352
After one day of testing and burning in, they sound a little bit better now! Problem is really the comfort, they aren't that comfortable and after one hour my ears will sweat fountains. They also seem to leak some sound.

Jun 28, 2013 at 5:27 AM Post #6,921 of 8,352
After one day of testing and burning in, they sound a little bit better now! Problem is really the comfort, they aren't that comfortable and after one hour my ears will sweat fountains. They also seem to leak some sound.

They will get more comfortable over time.

They are not very discreet, but then again what do you expect from supra aural design.

Jun 28, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #6,922 of 8,352
You guys must listen at extreme volume levels...I honestly don't have any problem with these leaking sound (with the Fiio E9 I usually won't go over 8-9 o'clock of the volume knob, otherwise they'll pierce my ears).

Stock pads do indeed hurt at first, but once they get the right shape of your ears, then they become super comfy and sweat-less. That's my experience with these cans at least, which I can now wear for hours with no problems whatsoever.

Jun 28, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #6,923 of 8,352
The S500s are popular all over the place...
biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by nasilemak 

In fact in China they refer to the JVC as the, literal translation, "Chinese Cabbage God Artifact"! Meaning it is a common product that produces exceptional result combined with almost anything.

Jun 28, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #6,924 of 8,352
Guys, where are those of you in the US buying your S500's?  The Amazon seller prices seem higher than eBay.  Should I just pick the guy on eBay with the lowest price?  Are there any counterfeit S500's out there, or is that not a concern? 

If someone wants to suggest a specific seller, please feel free to PM me. 

Jun 28, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #6,926 of 8,352
Quote:
Guys, where are those of you in the US buying your S500's?  The Amazon seller prices seem higher than eBay.  Should I just pick the guy on eBay with the lowest price?  Are there any counterfeit S500's out there, or is that not a concern? 

If someone wants to suggest a specific seller, please feel free to PM me. 

There are no fakes, no point at this price lol

Contact eBay seller jp-ken and say Andrei sent ya, he'll do you a good deal.

Jun 28, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #6,927 of 8,352
I tried the ws55 pads, they're a bit big. I don't feel like putting extra padding/batting in them to fill 'em out. The stock pads are back in place. And I find them comfortable as is, with no sound leakage to complain about (as in my wife next to me telling me to lower my music). All good!!!

Jun 29, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #6,928 of 8,352
Oh, dang, I was just about to put these up on ebay... Then I remembered how these sound with retro gaming... There's no way I can get rid of that. Especially after seeing this for the rift. Once I get my rift, I'll end up doing nothing but that for weeks.
biggrin.gif

Jun 29, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #6,929 of 8,352
Oh, dang, I was just about to put these up on ebay... Then I remembered how these sound with retro gaming... There's no way I can get rid of that. Especially after seeing this for the rift. Once I get my rift, I'll end up doing nothing but that for weeks. :D

What's a rift?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back