The JVC HA-S500 thread.
May 25, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #6,571 of 8,352
"Wubs" aren't even centered in the bass, they're in every section XD
Bass is easily the least important part to dubstep, which really surprised me when I first started making some myself.
Edit: Probably the reason I don't want more bass is because its distracting me from analysis of the instruments of the song. I want to know how the song was made. When I listen to dubstep on these all I can think is "Why are you getting in the way of the song?"
angry_face.gif

Edit2:

As you can see from the spectrum (center) and the spectrogram (top) dubstep has tons of mids and treble. Almost as much as the bass, and compared to the human loudness contour, MORE mids and treble then bass. People want bassy headphones with their dubstep because dubstep back to the natural human ears hearing (also because its fun). I don't, because that's not how dubstep was mastered in the first place. Its truly a mid and treble centric genre.

May 25, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #6,572 of 8,352
Last time I checked dubstep wasn't much more than bass. 
o2smile.gif

There's plenty of other genres that will suffice if bass isn't what you really want in the 'electro' side of things.

I wouldn't personally listen to dubstep if I didn't like the bass, I can't see why someone would do that. I'm sorry if I'm offending you because I'm seriously not trying to, I just want to state my opinion and I think you're a bit crazy
wink_face.gif

Here, From dictionary.com

dub·step

[duhb-step]

noun. a style of mostly instrumental electronic music, originating in London, influenced by dub and characterized by syncopated rhythm and an emphasis on bass and drum elements.

May 25, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #6,573 of 8,352
Quote:
o2smile.gif

There's plenty of other genres that will suffice if bass isn't what you really want in the 'electro' side of things.

I wouldn't personally listen to dubstep if I didn't like the bass, I can't see why someone would do that. I'm sorry if I'm offending you because I'm seriously not trying to, I just want to state my opinion and I think you're a bit crazy
wink_face.gif

Here, From dictionary.com

dub·step

[duhb-step]

noun. a style of mostly instrumental electronic music, originating in London, influenced by dub and characterized by syncopated rhythm and an emphasis on bass and drum elements.

I understand where he is coming from though. With the stock pads, I find the bass of the s500's to essentially fatigue my ears after a while. With the HM5 pads, much less fatiguing. But with the WS99's, although the bass is obviously there, it is much less fatiguing to me (completely non-fatiguing actually). I enjoy dubstep and other forms of bass heavy electronic music very much, but I find it more enjoyable when the bass is presented a bit differently. I guess the old adage "we all hear differently" applies here.

May 25, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #6,574 of 8,352
Quote:

What.... No, seriously, what?
Please check my edit, and please go listen to a (Modern!) dubstep song. If you don't hear tons of treble going on, then I don't know what to say. Its ALL treble. That definition is about OLDSCHOOL dubstep. As in the kind that is nothing like modern dubstep. Old school dubstep didn't have much treble at all. I don't really like that type of dubstep.

It's the reason old people don't like dubstep. Not because its bassy, but because it has so much treble... also because its weird.

I still have no idea how people see dubstep as a bass genre, it doesn't have that much bass, no matter who's song your looking at. Heck, a song named "Bass Cannon" doesn't even have much bass XD

The only song I've seen with dubstep instruments that had almost no treble that was modern in style is "Raise Your Weapon" by Deadmau5.

...No, seriously, how do people find dubstep bass-centric? That's so silly...

Heck, the artist that started the whole modern dubstep craze:

I print-screened between drum kicks by accident, but my point still remains, these songs have SO MUCH TREBLE, and its only gotten louder since then!
The treble is also the hardest part to pull off in dubstep, Its so hard to design a synth to continue on with that loud of harmonics as it goes and still sound good.

Quote:
I just want to state my opinion and I think you're a bit crazy

Well, duh, I'm crazy
very_evil_smiley.gif
but it's fun, so It doesn't bother me too much.

May 25, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #6,575 of 8,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleb /img/forum/go_quote.gif

...No, seriously, how do people find dubstep bass-centric? That's so silly...

Average consumer:

Beats have bass. Beats are good. Bass is good. Dubstep is good. Dubstep has bass. 
rolleyes.gif

I am curious about some of your stuff, Daleb! These headphones regarded by many (including some gear manufacturers) to be mysteriously good at mixing duties for harder-hitting music because they represent the bass so well. (And they do it without the space-time rips caused by excessive porting!)

Pull up a reference track and give mixing with these a shot if you haven't already! It's no pair of good speakers in a treated room, but I can work anywhere with mine!

May 25, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #6,576 of 8,352
Yeah, these show I don't actually handle the bass half  of my songs as well as I could XD
Not that I don't have enough of it, my songs seem to have more then most, but they aren't as punchy as I want on these.

May 25, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #6,577 of 8,352
Quote:
"Wubs" aren't even centered in the bass, they're in every section XD
Bass is easily the least important part to dubstep, which really surprised me when I first started making some myself.
Edit: Probably the reason I don't want more bass is because its distracting me from analysis of the instruments of the song. I want to know how the song was made. When I listen to dubstep on these all I can think is "Why are you getting in the way of the song?"
angry_face.gif

Edit2:

As you can see from the spectrum (center) and the spectrogram (top) dubstep has tons of mids and treble. Almost as much as the bass, and compared to the human loudness contour, MORE mids and treble then bass. People want bassy headphones with their dubstep because dubstep back to the natural human ears hearing (also because its fun). I don't, because that's not how dubstep was mastered in the first place. Its truly a mid and treble centric genre.

is that foobar? what skin is that...

May 25, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #6,578 of 8,352
Quote:
is that foobar? what skin is that...

Yes, that is foobar, and its the default skin. I just went into preferences and played around for about 5 hours to get it to this point. I change it up a little every few weeks, though.

Okay, so I've remastered a few of my songs with these, like you asked.

Wanderlust(remix) - This is a remix of Renard's song Wanderlust. I love the vocals he did for it, so I had to make a remix.
Perfomer - named after the performer in massive. I didn't know what it did until this song... Yeah, rather noobish, I know. I'm relatively new to this!

May 25, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #6,579 of 8,352
Quote:
Okay, so I've remastered a few of my songs with these, like you asked.

Wanderlust(remix) - This is a remix of Renard's song Wanderlust. I love the vocals he did for it, so I had to make a remix.
Perfomer - named after the performer in massive. I didn't know what it did until this song... Yeah, rather noobish, I know. I'm relatively new to this!

I really like them! It might be because I'm listening on the same reference cans you are haha.

Here's my friend singing a song he wrote and I arranged. Totally different, and I mixed it on monitors. I love how it sounds on these headphones though.
https://soundcloud.com/rep43/warrior-rocky-paterra-original

May 25, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #6,580 of 8,352
Quote:

I really like them! It might be because I'm listening on the same reference cans you are haha.

Here's my friend singing a song he wrote and I arranged. Totally different, and I mixed it on monitors. I love how it sounds on these headphones though.
https://soundcloud.com/rep43/warrior-rocky-paterra-original

I always make sure to check at least 3 different sources before I release a song, but I usually aim for more. I love how you handled the vocals in that! And the piano. And the acoustic guitar... Great job! What microphone was used with the vocals? It's really nice.

May 25, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #6,581 of 8,352
Quote:
I always make sure to check at least 3 different sources before I release a song, but I usually aim for more. I love how you handled the vocals in that! And the piano. And the acoustic guitar... Great job! What microphone was used with the vocals? It's really nice.

Thanks! It's an old mix. I checked on the monitors, MDR-7506's, and my laptop speakers. I used a Studio Projects CS5 on the vocals. Cardioid with the 15k low pass. Probably a pad. I'm actually considering unloading it, not because it's not a fantastic microphone, but because I'm minimizing my life. I'm proud to say there were no actual instruments other than Rocky's voice in this production! 
bigsmile_face.gif

I actually found it a bit dull on the S500's. Oh well. More references!

May 25, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #6,582 of 8,352
So I am playing Final Fantasy VI with these on, and I have yet to leave the file select screen, it sounds so good.

Quote:
I used a Studio Projects CS5 on the vocals

It looks very nice!

EDIT: after 10 minutes of just sitting on the file select screen, I made it to the world map. Terra's theme is absolutely amazing on these. I didn't realize SNES games need a warm sound.

May 25, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #6,583 of 8,352
So I am playing Final Fantasy VI with these on, and I have yet to leave the file select screen, it sounds so good.

It looks very nice!

EDIT: after 10 minutes of just sitting on the file select screen, I made it to the world map. Terra's theme is absolutely amazing on these. I didn't realize SNES games need a warm sound.

I'm considering producing some dubstep. I used to do trance and hard style with FL Studio,but I've heard there are better programs for it. Can you point me in the right direction?

May 25, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #6,584 of 8,352
Quote:

It looks very nice!

I've got to go back and play some old games with these now! I'm going to be stuck in super digital world for a long time, so going back to something older (albeit digital) would be welcoming.

Quote:
I'm considering producing some dubstep. I used to do trance and hard style with FL Studio,but I've heard there are better programs for it. Can you point me in the right direction?

I believe Ableton is a big one with electronic musicians, but FL has gotten so advanced that it sits up there with the bigger DAW's, IMO. The workflow just works differently. I use Studio One, but I'm hardly an electronic musician.

May 25, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #6,585 of 8,352
Nope, I use FL studios. Ableton live is considered the upgrade to FL Studios. I have never hard a need for it, FL studios works really well for me. When I finally do upgrade, though, I'm going for bitwig (only in Beta right now), because it allows for people to work together over the internet. It sounds amazing, and its exactly like Ableton, but with a much better color scheme.

I don't actually make dubstep as often anymore. I love orchestra music, especially the video game music type.

Edit: What he said above, FL Studios is amazing. Back in the day, it didn't have as much going for it. Now, its easily in the big leagues.
Edit2: It doesn't have as good of recording abilities, actually. But its one of the favorites among electronic producers.
Before he goes on to fully produce his song, Deadmau5 writes the melodies in FL studios and comes up with his ideas there.

Quote:
I've got to go back and play some old games with these now! I'm going to be stuck in super digital world for a long time, so going back to something older (albeit digital) would be welcoming.

Just make sure to turn on scanlines, and go buy one of those $10 usb SNES controllers.  It makes it way more enjoyable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back