The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Oct 29, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #2,657 of 8,352
I got the HD25 velours and never looked back.  I guess I am the only one.....lol.
I'm going to be getting a set of HFI-780's as part of a trade....looking forward to comparing them to the mighty S500's. 
biggrin.gif

Oct 29, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #2,659 of 8,352
I'm gonna be getting rid of my Clip Zip as unfortunately it just isn't for me. I've realised that I would like a more premium overall, DAP.

I'll be getting either a Samsung Galaxy S3 (which has a Wolfson audio chip) (it would also replace my current phone) or a new 5th gen Ipod Touch.  

Oct 29, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #2,660 of 8,352
Quote:
I'm gonna be getting rid of my Clip Zip as unfortunately it just isn't for me. I've realised that I would like a more premium overall, DAP.

I'll be getting either a Samsung Galaxy S3 (which has a Wolfson audio chip) (it would also replace my current phone) or a new 5th gen Ipod Touch.  

So what is it that you are looking for in your player? 

It may be worth keeping the Zip as a backup player, or one for use in the gym, or doing yardwork, etc. My Zip is not my primary device either, but it does get a fair amount of use....and I am getting a second one in trade for a simple USB wall charger....can't argue with that!

Oct 29, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #2,661 of 8,352
Quote:
Why not try the E10? CD sample rate is only 44.1khz anyway and the E10 DAC hits 96Khz. Instead of the E17 I got the combo of (and usually recommend to people) the E10 for your desk and the E11 for portable. A couple of reasons:
1. you can keep your portable rig as a portable rig and don't have to keep taking it apart.
2. You can always have the E10 sitting there at your desk or with your laptop and don't have to fuss with it.
3. the E11 is about 35% more powerful than the E17 and sounds very transparrent and fast IMO.
You could even do the E10 as you DAC+Ocean tube amp using the line out if you want.

Learning. Thanks for the link that you provided somewhere (shown below also):
http://www.head-fi.org/t/596482/the-sub-100-portable-amps-shootout-8-1-amps-compared

Oct 29, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #2,662 of 8,352
Quote:

It may be worth keeping the Zip as a backup player, or one for use in the gym, or doing yardwork, etc. My Zip is not my primary device either, but it does get a fair amount of use....and I am getting a second one in trade for a simple USB wall charger....can't argue with that!

+1

i bought a SlotRadio Card and WOOOW... quality of the songs is impresive, got no idea if its flac, mp3 or what, but they sound like originals/CD's.
i just switch to SlotRadio and just enjoy the music.

Oct 29, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #2,663 of 8,352
Quote:

I want easier playlist creation etc. I was disappointed with the Zip in this regard and I didn't like Rockbox so that is out of the question. I'm also looking for a more premium look/feel and screen quality etc. I guess I missed my album artwork too much hehe 
biggrin.gif
 I know the Zip displays album artwork but it looks awful on it. 

Obviously sound quality is important too. I just want a more premium player overall really.

Oct 29, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #2,664 of 8,352
Quote:

After getting my HM5 pads last week I decided I no longer needed my Audio Technica ATH-W1000X modded headphones.....freed up lots of cash, the improved sound of the S500 + velours + HM5 pads were too much for the W1000X, no longer competition!  Sold the W1000X an hour after posting them for sale!

Great info. Like I said, I am getting HM5 pads. It is far from that I would not believe your ears regarding pads on pads etc.

Just - circumaral HA-M750  offer too much potential not to try transplanting. Even if it means I will have to get another HA-S500s at regular price ( I was as lucky as you with $ 23 deal on amazon ) to use with any pad combo(s), should the transplant misfire. I always rather try and fail than eternally wonder what if ....

Oct 29, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #2,665 of 8,352
Quote:
I want easier playlist creation etc. I was disappointed with the Zip in this regard and I didn't like Rockbox so that is out of the question. I'm also looking for a more premium look/feel and screen quality etc. I guess I missed my album artwork too much hehe 
biggrin.gif
 I know the Zip displays album artwork but it looks awful on it. 

Obviously sound quality is important too. I just want a more premium player overall really.

I definitely hear you on the screen. I've been tempted by the new 5th gen Touch also, but since I just bought a tablet, a couple pairs of sneakers, and some X-mas gifts, I'm broke now...lol.

Oct 29, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #2,667 of 8,352
Quote:
I definitely hear you on the screen. I've been tempted by the new 5th gen Touch also, but since I just bought a tablet, a couple pairs of sneakers, and some X-mas gifts, I'm broke now...lol.

Yeah the 5th gen Touch is tempting me. It would be interesting to see if the new Touch has better sound quality than the previous gen. 

Oct 29, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #2,668 of 8,352
Quote:
Yeah the 5th gen Touch is tempting me. It would be interesting to see if the new Touch has better sound quality than the previous gen. 

I did like the 4th gen's sound. I just traded it away when I got my Samsung player that had a much bigger screen. Thankfully, the new Touch and iPhone do have a little bigger screen, after all these years.
Tough decision you have there.....the Galaxy S3 is a pretty awesome piece of hardware too.

Oct 29, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #2,669 of 8,352
Quote:
Great info. Like I said, I am getting HM5 pads. It is far from that I would not believe your ears regarding pads on pads etc.

Just - circumaral HA-M750  offer too much potential not to try transplanting. Even if it means I will have to get another HA-S500s at regular price ( I was as lucky as you with $ 23 deal on amazon ) to use with any pad combo(s), should the transplant misfire. I always rather try and fail than eternally wonder what if ....

With the S500 velour pads + HM5 pads you will get the best sound yet.......and you won't believe the layering/soundstage.....you will need to listen to well recorded music, because it will not colour poorly recorded music....very revealing!

Oct 29, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #2,670 of 8,352
Both are excellent price performers. Both are completely different..These are unique in that these have more than one sound. The HA-S500 with a simple pad change can transform from bassy to balanced to a lean sound. HA-S500 has somewhat of a brighter more detailed signature vs the warmer sounding MH1C.. Bigger deeper wider stage.  Even better detail and bigger bass can be had on the HA-S500. The MH1C sounds great with more power behind them but on standard sources don't have the power SQ level of the HA-S500.. If you need or are thinking about a portable headphone. These are the best I can recommend to anyone.

The sound quality to value ratio is great on both but for $20 these MH1C should be checked out by everyone. Especially guys that need a mic for their android phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back