The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Oct 28, 2012 at 4:57 AM Post #2,596 of 8,352
Quote:
No you should still get your Fire Phoenix (or other similar DAC AMP). Your Fire Phoenix has a high end DAC in it and you can still utilize this DAC with the line out to your tube amp in the future if you so choose. This tube amp is has no DAC so it could be a great upgrade option down the road.
The Fire Phoenix is prolly a good starting point and you can expand on it as you get more into the hobby.
IMO.

Thanks for the help Doc. I'm new to amping headphones, so I can't wait to hear how it sounds. I'll stick with the Fire Phoenix then.

Oct 28, 2012 at 5:13 AM Post #2,597 of 8,352
DOC is right. The Fire Phoenix actually has an amp section too with plenty of power on tap. It was just my curiosity that got the better of me on the Bravo amp. Though I have to admit it was cool to just throw my DAP on the Bravo to get a nice high level of sound. But that is because my Z1060 throws out an amazing sound in the first place.. Fire Phoenix DAC section with the cirrus logic chip will be nice upgrade to your sounds and is actually the best bang for the dollar audio gear you can buy.. The Bravo amp is cool too but it is just an amp and not a DAC after all.

Oct 28, 2012 at 5:21 AM Post #2,598 of 8,352
Quote:
DOC is right. The Fire Phoenix actually has an amp section too with plenty of power on tap. It was just my curiosity that got the better of me on the Bravo amp. Though I have to admit it was cool to just throw my DAP on the Bravo to get a nice high level of sound. But that is because my Z1060 throws out an amazing sound in the first place.. Fire Phoenix DAC section with the cirrus logic chip will be nice upgrade to your sounds and is actually the best bang for the dollar audio gear you can buy.. The Bravo amp is cool too but it is just an amp and not a DAC after all.

I figured it wasn't a DAC, but I honestly didn't know. I'm still learning when it comes to headphone amps. When I use the Fire Phoenix will I have to play music off my computer or can I use an MP3 player?

Oct 28, 2012 at 5:28 AM Post #2,599 of 8,352
IT is a desktop device meaning it will be stationary. Used with your PC or laptop. The 3 inputs are USB, Coax, Optical in. So no MP3 player plug.  Which is lame but the in the end your computer or laptop will throw out sound on a whole new level with the Fire Phoenix. Which by the way sounds unbelievably great with the HA-S500.

You know you want one of these. But no. Both are mine! All mine!

Oct 28, 2012 at 5:34 AM Post #2,600 of 8,352
Quote:
IT is a desktop device meaning it will be stationary. Used with your PC or laptop. The 3 inputs are USB, Coax, Optical in. So no MP3 player plug.  Which is lame but the in the end your computer or laptop will throw out sound on a whole new level with the Fire Phoenix. Which by the way sounds unbelievably great with the HA-S500.

I have all my music on both anyway, so I'm okay with that. Optical would sound amazing I bet. Out of curiousity, what software do you use do play music on your computer?

Oct 28, 2012 at 5:39 AM Post #2,601 of 8,352
Foobar is the way to go. I also have a usb to optical converter that upsamples my music to 24bit from 16 bit. Not too much difference. It does have a more pure signal when using optical. Using USB sounds great.

Oct 28, 2012 at 5:40 AM Post #2,602 of 8,352
Quote:
Foobar is the way to go.

Foobar is what I'm using :p It's been awhile since I've used it, but I used to love J. River's Media Center. I can't remember if it's better because it's been awhile, but have you ever tried it?

Oct 28, 2012 at 6:01 AM Post #2,604 of 8,352
Quote:
Never tried. Will look into that but I am happy with what works for me.

I woke up in the middle of night to see this thread active. Lol. Need more sleep.. zzzzzzzzz

I'm tired so I'm gonna head to bed too. But not before I get my daily dose of S500 :wink:

Oct 28, 2012 at 6:09 AM Post #2,605 of 8,352
Quote:
Never tried. Will look into that but I am happy with what works for me.

I woke up in the middle of night to see this thread active. Lol. Need more sleep.. zzzzzzzzz

Well, head-fi is global - you can always count somebody someplace will not be doing zzzzzzzzzzzz - and vice versa. 

Foobar2000 here too - but will try jRiver latest for a free period given the time.

Oct 28, 2012 at 6:12 AM Post #2,606 of 8,352
Well, head-fi is global - you can always count somebody someplace will not be doing zzzzzzzzzzzz - and vice versa. 

Foobar2000 here too - but will try jRiver latest for a free period given the time.

Lemme know what you think of it.

Oct 28, 2012 at 6:15 AM Post #2,607 of 8,352
Quote:
Foobar is the way to go. I also have a usb to optical converter that upsamples my music to 24bit from 16 bit. Not too much difference. It does have a more pure signal when using optical. Using USB sounds great.

Hey since you're online now, can you give a comparison between the Bravo Audio Ocean and the Fire Phoenix? Are you now using the Fire Phoenix just for the DAC and amp it with the Bravo or do you switch the amp every now and then?

Oct 28, 2012 at 6:56 AM Post #2,608 of 8,352
Quote:
Lemme know what you think of it.

It will be quite a waiting given the things on my audio plate at the moment. Do not believe it would be so conviencigly better than Foobar2000. But for the price of original purchase and additional fees for each upgrade, I guess they must be offering some advantage over free F2K.  My main concern is the ability to play back DSD files - both F2K and jRiver 17 ( latest ?)  can do that. And DSPs must cater for crossfeed. From what cute wrote, jRiver has more options/settings for crossfeed, but I did not get to test it yet.

Oct 28, 2012 at 10:18 AM Post #2,609 of 8,352
Quote:
I figured it wasn't a DAC, but I honestly didn't know. I'm still learning when it comes to headphone amps. When I use the Fire Phoenix will I have to play music off my computer or can I use an MP3 player?

If you want something portable that you can take with you to use with your mp3 player, you should look at the FiiO E17. Has a line in for plugging in your mp3 player to use it just as a headphone amp. Works great. Very small and easy to carry in your pocket, but also has optical in and USB for plugging your computer up to it when you need both the DAC and the headphone amp part. 

Oct 28, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #2,610 of 8,352
I'm wondering if any of you have listened to the DENON HP700 and how would the JVC's compare. I've had the DENON's in the past and they're still the best headphone I've heard under $250. I can buy another one for 50 euros from a friend (a unique opportunity), but am very curious about these HA-S500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back