The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Aug 7, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #241 of 8,352
Alright, I'm in.  Just purchased a black pair thru ebay.

Also en route is an FXD80 and GR07 MkII... hopefully all of these will complement my EPH-100 and DragonFly DAC well.

Aug 7, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #242 of 8,352
Both are excellent upgrades from the FX101. But you have to ask yourself if your ok with on ear headphones. I know the cost of the 2 is similar. Either way you will be very happy.

@Analogsurviver Your tracks sound great on these headphones as for measurements. Unless you want to send me a pair of calipers I don't have anything on had to do that with. Though for classical to shine you need a much more spacious and perhaps a bit more neutrality over these headphones.. These are closed after all but for portable use these will do just fine..Those same tracks using my HD595..Proper.

Aug 7, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #243 of 8,352
Hi!

I sincerely apologize for lack lack of "please" in my fitst post - I got carried away by something that does look it could be used in my project I have been postponing for couple of years now, due to the lack of a driver with desired high enough quality and dimensions that would fit. JVC HA S500  at long last looks like a good candidate.

I also had to check quite a few recordings on youtube in order to find a couple that are sonically acceptable -  no easy task for me, as I can thankfully still get carried away by the quality of playing over technical excellence of the recording. None of the selected I was familiar with before, despite the fact I knew at least some work by both conductors from other composers.

So, Dsnuts, if you accept my apology and find some time, please ...

Best regards,

analogSurviver

Aug 7, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #244 of 8,352
No offense taken. I have to admit the imagery and detail on these headphones do bode well for the precision that is needed for classical. It is just that because they are closed design they don't give you the stage needed for a big concert hall sound which is what is needed for bigger classical pieces. 

I don't listen to classical nearly as much as I should but when I do I prefer my HD595s. Just majestic. The HA-S500 does a great job with the detail and imagery part of it. It is their stage that is needed to really make those pieces shine however.

Aug 7, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #246 of 8,352
Quote:
Don't do it. You don't want to hear a 40mm version of the carbon nanotube drivers. I mean you own the micro HD versions. All 3 and the crazy bang for bucks FX40. Why would you be curious about a BIG 40mm version. Whats there to gain from that?. Don't do it..That imagery and clarity you know all them carbon nanotube earphones throw out. But in a headphone version? Psst please. Why would anyone want a BIG boss 40mm version of that. Who needs that.

Quote:

Naah !    ...DO IT, Danny 
biggrin.gif
  ...I never like headphones whether on or over ears but these HA-S500 has kinda grew on me. ...after listening to their eargasmic sounds, you'll soon forget they there sitting on your head !

Couldn't resist the rave reviews and the nanotube.  Just ordered a pair.  I know I won't regret them.  Thanks fellas for finally getting me to cave in.  Happy listening.  

Aug 7, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #248 of 8,352
Quote:
Reverse psychology works. Lol..You are gonna love the way these sound. Think grander nanotube sound and you get these HA-S500.

Btw, thank you for making the fx40 thread, I just bought one for my aunt! So she could listen to it with her new sd card and hopefully a large library of music on her phone. 

Aug 7, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #250 of 8,352
Quote:
so, would these be good for classical and jazz? I'm mainly into the mids and maybe some bass too - too much treble isn't really for me...

From the impressions and burn-in, he says that the mids are full, the highs are just right, and the bass is great. It's a full balance pretty much.

Aug 7, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #251 of 8,352
It does Jazz better than Classical and I listed the reason why these aren't the best with classical but if you listen to a big variety of music like I do I can't recommend a better headphone right now. These are too great not to own.

Aug 7, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #253 of 8,352
Quote:
Both are excellent upgrades from the FX101. But you have to ask yourself if your ok with on ear headphones. I know the cost of the 2 is similar. Either way you will be very happy.

@Analogsurviver Your tracks sound great on these headphones as for measurements. Unless you want to send me a pair of calipers I don't have anything on had to do that with. Though for classical to shine you need a much more spacious and perhaps a bit more neutrality over these headphones.. These are closed after all but for portable use these will do just fine..Those same tracks using my HD595..Proper.

I don't mind really, as long as they are comfortable. Judging by your hype, the S500 are better? I'm putting words into your mouth here I know 
tongue.gif
 I'm looking for a detailed sound and prominent vocals as a contrast to the FX101's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back